Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373785 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #975 on: March 07, 2009, 09:28:25 am »

Am I doing something wrong? I get 5000 fps in menus and when the game is paused, but when I unpause it only gets met 30 fps  ???
What do you get with 40d?
And what sort of processor do you have?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: March 07, 2009, 11:35:03 am »

Am I doing something wrong? I get 5000 fps in menus and when the game is paused, but when I unpause it only gets met 30 fps  ???
That's perfectly natural.  When the game is paused, there is no movement or processing goin on so the graphics thread can render faster.  When Toady's code kicks in, it takes away from the amount of frames that can be rendered.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: March 07, 2009, 12:28:43 pm »

Worse than that, actually - the fps counter the number of simulation cycles per second, not the number of graphical updates. The latter number is fixed by G_FPS, and would only start decreasing if the simulation FPS drops below G_FPS.

So when it says 5000 FPS while paused, that means your computer is doing nothing 5000 times a second.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 07, 2009, 12:30:09 pm »

What do you get with 40d?
And what sort of processor do you have?

40d also gives me 30 fps.
Proccesor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: March 07, 2009, 01:14:07 pm »

Well.. heavily populated fort?

You should be able to get ~100fps or more on a newly embarked fort, assuming no horribly complex features are in effect. If you don't, I think something's wrong. (Force-enabling vsync in graphic card drivers can have this sort of effect, for example)

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: March 07, 2009, 03:06:47 pm »

Well.. heavily populated fort?

You should be able to get ~100fps or more on a newly embarked fort, assuming no horribly complex features are in effect. If you don't, I think something's wrong. (Force-enabling vsync in graphic card drivers can have this sort of effect, for example)

95 dwarves.
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: March 08, 2009, 04:21:22 am »

The Windows file linked in the first page wouldn't extract. Just says "Error extracting". Bad link or is it just me?
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: March 08, 2009, 06:09:03 am »

Just you. Try again.

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: March 08, 2009, 05:04:26 pm »

Sorry for not reading the other 65 pages of this thread before I reply, but I'm curious:

What form of pathfinding is Toady currently using? I notice that, in play, the Dwarves take shortest path, which makes me think that it is an A* derivative, full of pre-computative good/bad-ness.

Seeing as currently, the pathfinding performance degrades sharply in proportion with increases in creatures, perhaps a different approach might be best? I recently saw a lecture on a new approach to the old hill-climbing pathfinding with dynamic look-ahead values based on a pattern database to decide the best look-ahead for the proper heuristic.

Here's the original presentation I saw on D LRTA*:
http://sites.google.com/site/cosc419/schedule/2009-02-06-COSC419.pdf?attredirects=0
Here's a page I found on Google of someone else explaining it:
http://www.oddco.ca/zeroth/zblog/2008/07/29/dynamic-pathfindingcutting-edge-research/

This method provides almost perfect optimality and much lower in-game computation, at the cost of maintaining a (possibly costly) pattern database. I think, though, that even with DF's dynamic maps, that this database would not be too difficult to maintain.

Any thoughts?
Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: March 08, 2009, 05:33:57 pm »

Iirc it was some kind of A* but this thread was and is about the rendering-engine of DF because thats the only part that various programs of toady have in common. Its almost the only thing too that was opened to the community.

Thanks anyway. I will have a good read tomorow.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: March 08, 2009, 07:58:18 pm »

I'm still getting extract errors. After doing it one file at a time, the following files had "Error reading file":

Thumbs.db
dwarf_fortress.cmv
jpeg.dll
fmodex.dll
Dwarf Fortress.exe
optipng.exe
msvcr90.dll

Obviously I can't play without at least a few of these. I'll try completely wiping all versions of DF on my system before copying.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: March 08, 2009, 08:03:54 pm »

Wiping out the other versions didn't help, so I tried downloading and installing on a different computer. Worked perfectly. So obviously some sort of error on this computer.

In other news - yes, it works great, except it crashes when minimized. (Run using windowed mode, 1280x1000)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 09:12:05 pm by Hamster Man »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: March 08, 2009, 09:44:33 pm »

Sorry for not reading the other 65 pages of this thread before I reply, but I'm curious:

What form of pathfinding is Toady currently using? I notice that, in play, the Dwarves take shortest path, which makes me think that it is an A* derivative, full of pre-computative good/bad-ness.

Seeing as currently, the pathfinding performance degrades sharply in proportion with increases in creatures, perhaps a different approach might be best? I recently saw a lecture on a new approach to the old hill-climbing pathfinding with dynamic look-ahead values based on a pattern database to decide the best look-ahead for the proper heuristic.

Here's the original presentation I saw on D LRTA*:
http://sites.google.com/site/cosc419/schedule/2009-02-06-COSC419.pdf?attredirects=0
Here's a page I found on Google of someone else explaining it:
http://www.oddco.ca/zeroth/zblog/2008/07/29/dynamic-pathfindingcutting-edge-research/

This method provides almost perfect optimality and much lower in-game computation, at the cost of maintaining a (possibly costly) pattern database. I think, though, that even with DF's dynamic maps, that this database would not be too difficult to maintain.

Any thoughts?

As Heph said -- it's currently A*, but pathfinding discussion really doesn't belong in here.  You could repost it in this other pathfinding thread though -- the algorithm has some similarities, such as abstracting tiles into clusters.

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 09, 2009, 11:54:17 am »

Oops, my bad. I misunderstood the purpose of this topic, methinks. Thanks for the link, though, Foot.

As for my feedback on the new output code, I don't have any: It worked fine for me, no problems. No noticeable speed change, but I always run at my cap anyways.
Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 147