Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373772 times)

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #960 on: March 02, 2009, 08:09:33 am »

Actually it was sending it as a lowercase h, when I turned on caps, it sent an uppercase.
It was actually sending both a space and an h I think...
If you must know I have Vista, not too bad since they fixed the early glitches and stuff.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 02, 2009, 08:38:49 am »

I've got a bug where I can't tame a dragon now, not sure if 40d9 may be responsible :P
And yes, it didn't kill anyone. I've got a dungeon master, kennels, meat/fish. the task immediately disappears from the kennels after being given without any cancellation notice even with all of them turned on.

This has nothing to do with 40d9 I think...it sounds like an "ordinary bug". You should upload the saved game.  :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:40:31 am by Tormy »

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 03, 2009, 04:23:14 am »

win xp
1.3 ghz
750 odd MB ram

runs fine, a bit faster than the vanilla. 20-30 FPS on screen, with 70 odd dwarves and a stream on the map.

Just using the vanilla install, no tile sets.

I still have weather and temperature on, so there's probably a bit of fat in there, but any suggestions for the Partial Page and Cap settings would be appreciated.  I think they are 10 and 11 atm.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: March 03, 2009, 04:32:20 pm »

Wow! This is ah-mazing!

I'm running DF on my little Eee PC. Using Partial Print 26 and G_FPS at 25 (to avoid the flickering) I can get between 20-50 FPS. On my current game, I'm running doing a 3x4 area with a brook and magma pipe as the only "special, FPS hogging features." When I started I got about 50 FPS (magma pipe breached surface so it was already revealed). I've dug to the bottom and quintupled my population up to 30ish and with all the children and pets running around my FPS is around 20, going from 17 on a slow part to 29 on a fast part.

I've just started a new 4x4 map with a hidden underground river and my FPS is already at 70-80, nearly double my 40d version and that's on a smaller area with already revealed features. I doubt I'll be able to get a 200 dwarf fortress on my little Eee PC, but I might be able to double the artificial pop cap I made. For my old map I capped it at 50 dwarves because it was a crawl at that point. I was never able to unlock seiges or the dwarven economy, or even most of the nobles (except for the Queen because my central staircase just happened to hit an adamantine strain. Now that's been a close call as every time I have to dig through it I worry that I'll uncover HFS).

Anyway, so far so good. If I have any graphical or FPS issues I'll report them, but even if there are a few glitches, hopefully they can be ironed out as the FPS jump is ah-mazing!
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

sev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #964 on: March 03, 2009, 06:53:39 pm »

My FPS nearly doubles moving from plain 40d to 40d9, from 14 to 25 (with a fortress of 150, moving water, none of the features turned off).  Drops to about 20 if I turn on my small, pump-driven waterfall (which didn't affect the FPS in plain 40d).

I am seeing df stop responding to keystrokes if I switch tasks and then switch back, as a couple of other people have reported.

Only the default frame refresh settings work for me.  Turning on partial print without touching the other settings gets me flicker; the text alternates with fuzz.  Turning on either of the buffer settings gets me a blank window.

I'm using a laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 display, driver version 8.360.0.0.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: March 04, 2009, 11:17:19 am »

I would like to change my vote.  My old computer ran slower than 40d without problems, my new computer runs faster then 40d with no problems.

Old computer
Windows XP service pack 3
2.6ghz Intel Celeron
1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9250 PCI Graphics card

40d   ~60fps
40d9  ~48fps

New Computer
Windows Vista 32bit Service pack 1
2.66 ghz intel core 2 duo
2GB DDR2 Dual Channel RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe Graphics card

40d   ~330fps
40d9  ~420fps

Only oddity I found so far is that the intro runs at 2x speed.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: March 04, 2009, 09:47:31 pm »

Only the default frame refresh settings work for me.  Turning on partial print without touching the other settings gets me flicker; the text alternates with fuzz.

Did you also modify the G_FPS rate? I've found that (like the wiki says) if you don't put the partial print # as higher then the G_FPS, you'll get that flicker, at least that's how it works on both of my computers.

One odd glitch I've noticed is that the cursor seems to lag slightly. In 40d when I would hold an arrow the cursor would go in that direction no problem. With 40d9, it seems to lag ever so slightly. It'll  slow down and then "jump" so instead of a smooth scroll it's slightly jagged.

I'm still impressed by the FPS jump that I don't really care, but just reporting what I find.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

sev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #967 on: March 05, 2009, 11:18:00 am »

Only the default frame refresh settings work for me.  Turning on partial print without touching the other settings gets me flicker; the text alternates with fuzz.

Did you also modify the G_FPS rate? I've found that (like the wiki says) if you don't put the partial print # as higher then the G_FPS, you'll get that flicker, at least that's how it works on both of my computers.

I do get the fuzz regardless of what the value for partial print is, in both plain 40d and 40d9.

The V Man

• Bay Watcher
  • I AM MINTY FRESH, ARE YOU MY SEVEN?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 06, 2009, 08:44:14 am »

I'm loving 40d9 personally, and have only had one problem, though it really tanked speed when it happened.

Had a miner fall into a pit and then, almost immediately, he got a mood. With no way to get out of the pit he was standing still, but I think was constantly trying to calculate a path out. I had to have another miner dig him out (which took forever because of the extreme slowdown) and the second the last wall was cut down everything went back to normal. Fort had about 15 dwarves and no other issues whatsoever.

-V

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 06, 2009, 12:30:45 pm »

That shouldn't have anything at all to do with 40d9, though.

That's definitely a problem with the game itself. These are just graphics rendering updates.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The V Man

• Bay Watcher
  • I AM MINTY FRESH, ARE YOU MY SEVEN?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 06, 2009, 12:32:38 pm »

That shouldn't have anything at all to do with 40d9, though.

That's definitely a problem with the game itself. These are just graphics rendering updates.

While that's fair and I agree it may not be related directly to 40d9, it's still an item that I ran into while using that build and figured it would be worth noting - especially since everything was running great prior to to pit falling/mood getting incident (though to be fair I'd probably be in a mood if I fell into a pit).

-V

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 06, 2009, 12:37:42 pm »

Yeah, but honestly, if it's a bug with DF itself, you should probably put it in the bug reports forum or something. I know Toady looks at those fairly regularly.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Fain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: March 07, 2009, 03:59:54 am »

Yeah, but honestly, if it's a bug with DF itself, you should probably put it in the bug reports forum or something. I know Toady looks at those fairly regularly.
Yeah, but honestly, he ran into it while using this build itself, he should probably put it in this thread or something. I know Baughn looks at this thread fairly regularly.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 07, 2009, 04:56:24 am »

Yeah, but honestly, he ran into it while using this build itself, he should probably put it in this thread or something. I know Baughn looks at this thread fairly regularly.
Sure I do, but honestly, there's nothing I can do about this sort of bug.

You should tell Toady instead.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 07, 2009, 05:53:00 am »

Am I doing something wrong? I get 5000 fps in menus and when the game is paused, but when I unpause it only gets met 30 fps  ???
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 147