Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 372999 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)
« Reply #2145 on: August 05, 2009, 04:13:39 pm »

Why not just have a "load" option that scans some directory for more interface files?

You could certainly download more from the wiki, but I'd like to make the game as self-contained as possible, and something as universally needed as a laptop interface.txt ought to be bundled with the game.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: August 05, 2009, 04:23:34 pm »

I am not adverse to making the interface.txt loading sequence able to look at multiple files.  Maybe adding some UNKEY tags and multiple files would be easiest for users.  I could also split the macros into seperate files to make sharing them easier.
I love the idea of macro files, but it would be cooler to have the macro menu load them on the fly so you could add them during play if you find a template you want to use.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: August 05, 2009, 04:55:29 pm »

That reminds me..

I haven't actually tried doing this, so it may already be doable, but - Veroule, it'd be nice to have an ability to make macros while the game is running, so you can see what it'll do.

Ignore me if it already works that way.   ::)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: August 06, 2009, 01:02:52 am »

Oh right, I originally tried d13 to try and figure out what macro features you had added but couldn't find any trace of them. All done outside of the game eh?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: August 06, 2009, 01:07:22 am »

Oh right, I originally tried d13 to try and figure out what macro features you had added but couldn't find any trace of them. All done outside of the game eh?
If I remember right, his ESC, then there's a new item for keyboard macros or something along those lines.  Damn Debian [Testing] repos (and my extreme laziness lately) right now won't let me install ia32-gtk-libs with ia32-apt-get so I can load it up and get exact details.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

foradan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: August 06, 2009, 03:16:01 pm »

I have found a strange 'feature'.

I created a world using 40d13 for windows, running under wine on a linux machine.  I have built a fortress in that world, having transferred the files to a Mac, where I am running 40d13 for mac.

It appears that Andesite can be used to create coal in a smelter as Lignite, and Basalt as Bituminous Coal.  And it seems to crash after a while too.  It mostly works as expected though.

Are save files mostly but not completely compatible between architectures?

N3X15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: August 06, 2009, 11:27:25 pm »

I have found a strange 'feature'.

I created a world using 40d13 for windows, running under wine on a linux machine.  I have built a fortress in that world, having transferred the files to a Mac, where I am running 40d13 for mac.

It appears that Andesite can be used to create coal in a smelter as Lignite, and Basalt as Bituminous Coal.  And it seems to crash after a while too.  It mostly works as expected though.

Are save files mostly but not completely compatible between architectures?

Probably differences in line-endings.  Unix and Mac use \n.  Windows uses \r\n.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: August 06, 2009, 11:39:22 pm »

Probably differences in line-endings.  Unix and Mac use \n.  Windows uses \r\n.
Shouldn't matter unless you are hand editing the files...then again, I don't know what Toady is doing with the saves...hopefully they are just binary dumps.  Then it shouldn't matter.

Seraph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: August 07, 2009, 02:32:55 am »

I've encountered a strange bug that relates to designating traffic areas on large open maps. I've run into this two seperate times.

Both times the map I was playing was a 4x4 perfectly flat forrest.

The first: I had setup a defensive perimeter and I wanted to mark the outside of that perimiter as restricted traffic (my hope was that dwarfs who were fleeing would then flee back towards the inside part of my little keep, unfortunatly that didn't work). Once I had done this I left the designate menu. I then decided to change my setup a little and went back to designate traffic, and discovered that in addition to the area I had designated my map was covered with single squares of restricted and low traffic areas laid out in very neet lines.

The second: I started a map with a lot of phase spider webs. I wanted to mark these webs as restricted as the dwarfs seem to be too stupid to avoid the webs on their own. After doing this I ran the map for about a season, noticed another cluster of webs had appeared, went to designate it, and discovered that again the map was covered with regularly spaced single squares of restructed traffic areas.

My best guess is that using the shift-direction method of moving the cursor around while having a traffic designation selected results in single squares of that designation being placed.

EDIT: Probably worth mentioning: This is d13 on Windows XP.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: August 07, 2009, 02:58:43 am »

To chime in with my two dwarfbux: tried it, ran the exact same speed as regular 40d with same saves of various fortress sizes. I do like the map resizing on the fly, though. That's rad. No problems seen yet.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: August 07, 2009, 04:09:00 am »

whenever I run it it, it is unresponsive to my keyboard and crashes after playing the opening cinematic. Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: nevermind, i think it was caused by me using an old copy of the INIT
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 04:13:24 am by Fault »

PizzaSammich

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: August 07, 2009, 05:03:12 am »

I haven't personally noticed a similar reply from anyone in here in my situation, so I apologize in advance if I happened to miss something.

Up until recently, I had been running Dwarf Fortress 40d11 quite happily on my i945GM-based laptop under Wine. I switched from Ubuntu to Arch Linux, and I'm having a persistent, nagging issue. 40d11 and 40d13 under Wine both report the same error: GPU unable to accomodate texture catalog. The 40d13 native client also throws the exact same error.

I'm quite certain that all my libraries are appropriately up-to-date and such. I'm fairly certain this issue revolves around Intel's new and somewhat glitchy driver architecture (namely, the switch to DRI2, which requires UXA, as opposed to Ubuntu's setup which is a little shaky...EXA rendering I believe with some tweaks).

Could anyone help me out here? I'm running Arch Linux with the testing repo so I can get ahold of the newest X.org releases and Intel drivers as they improve, and I know with such a shaky setup I may be asking for too much, but I'd like to find some way to diagnose this issue if possible. My poor little dwarves are in stasis until I figure something out.

Thanks in advance!

William

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: August 08, 2009, 04:31:31 am »

I was trying to load a save game I created in d12 in Windows with d13 in Linux. This save file was created in a vanilla version of DF. I was going to see which one ran faster. Here is the saved game: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1c63dd3d59abb185ed24a2875c7fa58ee04e75f6e8ebb871

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: August 10, 2009, 03:33:04 pm »

Anyone know how to make nanofortress work with 40d13?

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: August 10, 2009, 03:37:05 pm »

Embark on 40d0 and migrate your save?  Really, that's the best way since the offsets for lots of thing remain unknown in the later 40d# versions.

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 147