Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373035 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

This sort of thing is annoyingly common, to the point that I'm pondering a Final Solution.

Well.. it's because the shared libraries shipped with DF don't necessarily match up with the ones already on your system.

You can fix it by moving libs/ out of the way, but then you may have to track down versions that do work. libfmodex, at least, can be kept; the one in libs/ is already the newest.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This sort of thing is annoyingly common, to the point that I'm pondering a Final Solution.

Well.. it's because the shared libraries shipped with DF don't necessarily match up with the ones already on your system.

You can fix it by moving libs/ out of the way, but then you may have to track down versions that do work. libfmodex, at least, can be kept; the one in libs/ is already the newest.

Ok, I'll give it a go. Whats the Final Solution you are pondering?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Shipping every single library DF uses with DF, from glibc on up.

The Wanderer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Taking the Mac application approach, then.

Tends to be ridiculously unwieldy outside of the relatively closed ecosystem Apple has set up, at least as far as my limited experience is any judge, but would probably work.

Of course, then you have to have a separate set of libraries per architecture... but I suppose you'd need a separate main program per architecture anyway, so that might not be as big a deal.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, it wouldn't work.

Some libraries can't be bundled, eg. libGL (which is basically the opengl driver, and thus gpu-specific); others could cause a mismatch between kernel and program APIs, etc.

The best I can do is probably just to bundle a few more related ones, eg. making sure to bundle libSDL since it's already got libSDL-image; that one's been the source of a few bugs. Oh well.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't suppose a repository with dependency checking could be setup?  He hard part would be deciding on apt/yum/pacman type since I don't think you can do them all (I haven't checked.)  That way, the OS can determine if the library is available, us Linux users could always keep up with the latest version if we want, and so on... would even be nice to keep tile sets on there...

I'm sure it wouldn't take that much to get it going.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't suppose a repository with dependency checking could be setup?  He hard part would be deciding on apt/yum/pacman type since I don't think you can do them all (I haven't checked.)  That way, the OS can determine if the library is available, us Linux users could always keep up with the latest version if we want, and so on... would even be nice to keep tile sets on there...

That could be the best way. If only some of the distros would add Df to their repositories :P

Also could I get a list of the libs needed?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:17:16 pm by Nabobalis »

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i really liked the zoom feature and the easy resizing, i could see it being used just take a quick look at what you've made fortress wise...

i had a little trouble with the designation menu but i found this could be fixed by clicking the menu bar (the one outside of dwarf fortress with the windows start menu) so maybe that could be causing something to go awry, idk what though.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Would I be out of line if I asked the OP to change the title of this thread to something that will show as different from FotF on the main forum screen?  (AKA the first X characters are the same and I can't tell the difference)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

That could be the best way. If only some of the distros would add Df to their repositories :P

But of course, just run ldd on the dwarfort.exe executable.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Would I be out of line if I asked the OP to change the title of this thread to something that will show as different from FotF on the main forum screen?  (AKA the first X characters are the same and I can't tell the difference)
That should not be happening; the forum should be showing the entire thread title, even if it doesn't all fit on one line. Could you provide a screenshot, perhaps?

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But of course, just run ldd on the dwarfort.exe executable.

Thanks and it told me that about half of them are not found. Best see if I can install them.

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And yes... this is petty

I don't get it.  :-\

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not you...

See where it says 'Re: Future of the fort: ...'  ???  It's the name of the thread, or rather the first X letters of it. 

It's hard to tell if it's this one , or the one below it.

Since I don't follow this thread, and I DO follow the other thread, and since while I'm playing or at work and bored I refresh the main screen for new posts, being able to tell the difference between a new post I'm likely to read and one I'm not would be useful.

This is a stickied thread, and active, so petitioning for a name change to... Say... " FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)"  Would be helpful to me and painless to everyone else.

It's still petty though
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 147