Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373064 times)

Pierre Monteux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Two problems.

First, Topmost doesn't seem to be working in windowed mode.

Second, Don't know if this is a bug, or just a weird problem that I could fix.

When hitting the button on my laptop (HP Pavilion DV9000) that locks out the touchpad, the tiles change resolution on fullscreen mode only.  (To clarify, it stays at 1440 X 900, there are just way more tiles crammed in there, and a bit distorted)  Only way to get it back to the size I wanted is to restart.  Now after reading about F12 causing a graphics resize, I hit that, and discovered the same results. 

1.)  Is F12 in the key bindings somewhere? (I looked and couldn't find it) If it is, I'll try unbinding it and see if it still has the problem when I lock the mouse.

2.)  What is supposed to happen when F12 is hit?  I'm not entirely clear on that right now.

My current settings:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My system

Great job, it just keeps getting better. 
I've had Dorf's wh ohave pulled a Monty Python's Black Knight. They've had limbs chopped off and just keep coming. Although most of those are my patented "Spartan Dwarfs."
except in DF, the "I'll bit your legs off" threat is serious.

Northen_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it is mentioned already (the problem with using mouse to design mining orders).

I was starting a new fortress, pre-planning my fort and letting miners dig one area clear (then move onto next area, not mine last designed building and go backwards in mining list).

I usually connect(ed) preplanned areas with mouse (the "door" areas, so entire blueprint could be mined). This time my mouse "got stuck" in game and the mining designation did not even go anywhere near where I clicked them (red arrows), I only made 2-3 clicks. After this, the game froze(did not let me exit "mining menu" but did allow using escape to get into "exit/save/config" menu). ~1-2 minutes later game unfroze (I could exit mining menu).

My keyboard settings are on English(US), despite what it says in the language toolbar.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've discovered one last way zoom can inconvenience me, which isn't avoidable through keybinding or setting [MOUSE:NO]. If I switch to windowed mode and back with F11, it comes back to a slightly different zoom and my font is no longer crisp.

While I'm posting, while I have a different long-term preference regarding BLACK_SPACE (multiple fonts), for the next release I suggest you simply have it always on in the default gridsize, but always off when zoom is in use.  This will allow zoom-in to work sanely, without costing crispness in the default case.

tdittmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, I downloaded a ubuntu 9.04 32bit and booted the live-system on my desktop.
I did not run and apt-get update upgrade but just booted the ubuntu system as it comes with the installer.

I tested DF40d from the github version 609a26fb8f7974066c1a1ba96304cfaca63672f0 (add middle-mouse ...)

Besides the reported and more or less upstream fixed problem with the keys, I still get a frozen screen when the game is unpaused.

This is very strangem since many ubuntu users have reported a working df+head in the past.

Since I could not convince ubuntu to run with GPU hardware acceleration on my laptop (OK, did not try very hard, just booting twice with different options) it was impossible to test df there.

I will see if I can test df on the system of a friend in the course of this week

More puzzled than ever,
Timo

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I had little to no trouble in Dwarf mode (barring the 3d viewer which doesnt work), but adventure mode works badly. I cant seem to enter sites, namely
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

Couldn't get the release version of d13 to run properly under Windows Vista Home Premium:
I was a little surprised to run into this on the Windows version, I had something similar under Ubuntu when desktop effects were enabled.  Any ideas what would cause this under Windows?

KG

lemonpieman

• Bay Watcher
  • Maario
    • View Profile

Its a technical term for "tie to some functionality or other".

I know exactly what it is, I just have absolutely how to do it in DF.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its a technical term for "tie to some functionality or other".

I know exactly what it is, I just have absolutely how to do it in DF.
Hit ESC, keybindings or something like that... I don't have a working DF right now...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Couldn't get the release version of d13 to run properly under Windows Vista Home Premium:
I was a little surprised to run into this on the Windows version, I had something similar under Ubuntu when desktop effects were enabled.  Any ideas what would cause this under Windows?
Basically the same thing as on Linux - bad support for opengl, especially when tied to compositing.

Try shutting off windows' desktop effects - it's got some, I know. You want "windows 2000 mode", or whatever it calls the less-prettified version.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile

Little to no problem, apart from the [d]esignation and [b)uild interface going insane and the mouse being active all the time while over DF's window and stopping the keyboard's keys of working when its over it, aswell being aways active as if i were holding the mouse button.
Otherwise it runs a little faster then other versions with a bigger window and works normally.

EDIT: Oops, forgot adventurer mode. No keys apart from the numpad work.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 08:02:53 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

v.d11 was working through Wine earlier today... then I updated Xorg and the intel video drivers. Now I get the "CPU unable to accommodate texture catalog" error again.

Linux Native client, vd13:
I managed to get the proper lib32 package for my card, but now I get this error:
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. I have lib32-libjpeg. Suggestions?

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

v.d11 was working through Wine earlier today... then I updated Xorg and the intel video drivers. Now I get the "CPU unable to accommodate texture catalog" error again.

Linux Native client, vd13:
I managed to get the proper lib32 package for my card, but now I get this error:
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. I have lib32-libjpeg. Suggestions?

Yeah, but do you have libjpeg.so.62? You might need a newer / older version of the .so file. If you need newer you could go fishing in your distro's experimental repositories, build it yourself, or try to ln -s a link named libjpeg.so.62 to whatever version of the .so file you have. .so files are like .dlls in Windows, they're shared libraries and they are versioned.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

DF doesn't link directly to libjpeg, only to sdl-image.

I'd suggest removing the df_linux/libs version of sdl-image, and using a system-wide one. The bundled version appears to not work so well with your system.

RazorICE

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Please excuse the completely noob question, as I don't really have the patience to read through 138 pages to see if my question has been answered. I just downloaded 40d13, and set the FPS to 1000 and GFPS to 30, but I don't seem to be getting any real performance improvements like I read several people were getting.

For instance, in the menu and while paused, the FPS fluctuates wildly around 600-800. As soon as I'm in a game unpaused, even if I have just 15 dwarves doing absolutely nothing (as they have to fortress), it plummets to 150. If I then make them do things, it goes to 80, which is what I get with vanilla DF anyway. But every few seconds it seems to stutter, as well, as if the FPS suddenly drops to 1 for less than a second (although I don't see the FPS drop, it visibly stops at a low number, say, 40, for less than a second).

Perhaps I don't understand how to set this up correctly?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

The 40dN series only improves rendering efficiency and UI features. If your drivers were already rendering DF with good efficiency, you won't be getting any speed boosts.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 147