Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373132 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Have you tried F12? It should reset the zoom level to its default.
F12 snaps to a setting that's just a hair denser than the correct, crisp, resolution.  By my count, it appears to be 155x67, when the optimal gridsize is 154x65.  My resolution is unusual, 1400x1050, with a 9x16 font.  (I'm using a laptop, and it's always best to use an LCD screen's native resolution.)

Since the resolutions do not divide evenly, perhaps F12 is snapping to the lowest gridsize that leaves no black space, instead of to the highest gridsize that can fit into the display without scaling.
It shouldn't do that unless black_space is off (don't turn it off, especially since tile scaling is slightly buggy in pre-d14), but my math could be off. I'm using floating-point, which is always iffy; I'll try rewriting it to use exact math.

Also, the zoom keys are rebindable in d14, which makes it pretty easy to turn off if that's what you want.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

My problem is I can only seem to zoom out and back to normal, which works well, but zooming in does nothing.
Please post your init.txt. You can't zoom to below 80x25, of course, but zooming in to that grid-size should work fine so long as you don't ask it to become skewed; it won't allow that either.

(Keeping black_space off makes the algorithm happier)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

I've noticed that the zoom occasionally gets stuck when resizing the window, but f12 always seems to clear that up. Still fixing.

Lando242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can't zoom to below 80x25,
[/quote]

That would be what is causing it than, ignore the issue. Thanks.

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some further information on the mouse getting stuck during designation:

I am on OSX. When I enter the designation menu the keyboard freezes up, making it impossible to leave the designation menu. Also the mouse behaves as if left-click is held down, designating anywhere you point. However, returning to windowed mode and moving the mouse outside the window frees the keyboard up. It seems to also send through at least the last keyboard command entered before the mouse left the window. (It may be sending all the keystrokes through at once, but the only noticeable action is the last one sent.) When the mouse goes back into the window the keyboard freezes again. This seems to be repeatable behaviour any number of times.

Also, I haven't tried pressing f12, but clicking the middle mouse button seems to toggle between zoom-in mode and zoom-out mode. I can zoom out at first, but can't zoom in past where I started. Then after I middleclick I can zoom in but not out past where I started.

Hopefully that helps. I do have the black_space on it appears. I didn't change any init settings, just downloaded and fired it up.
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.
The same guys that think its a good idea to make magmafalls.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I am playing this on an ASUS EEE 1000H. I've had a huge improvement on FPS (it's stable around 60 now). It does take a bit longer to load, though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't start.

DF runs on three separate OSs. Writing code directly against all three would make the project quite considerably larger, and it'd amount to rewriting SDL anyhow.

A) it would just be for keyboard handling
B) you're doing that ANYWAY when you mess with scan codes, or did you think they were the same everywhere?
C) providing functionality for an area where a library is broken does not amount to rewriting that library

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Don't start.

DF runs on three separate OSs. Writing code directly against all three would make the project quite considerably larger, and it'd amount to rewriting SDL anyhow.

A) it would just be for keyboard handling
B) you're doing that ANYWAY when you mess with scan codes, or did you think they were the same everywhere?
C) providing functionality for an area where a library is broken does not amount to rewriting that library
(b) That's why I wasn't using scancodes, yep. I can't speak for Veroule, as I haven't looked closely at the code, but a reasonable solution would be to use higher-level translations when possible (eg. unicode), and treat scancodes as black boxes wherever we have to fall back to them.

(c) This is true for OS X or Linux, but on windows we'd have to rewrite the event-handling loop of SDL - you can only have one. Actually, I'm not so sure we wouldn't have to do that on the two others either. In any case, sticking with SDL would then imply maintaining our own fork of the thing, and it's easier to work around the bugs than to fix them.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got this working just fine in Ubuntu on a 64 bit machine. Ubuntu remix on a 32 bit machine on the other hand has proven a challenge.

Currently I am this far:
 ./df
./dwarfort.exe: ./libs/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./libs/libgraphics.so)

ldd dwarfort.exe  | grep "not found"
   libfmodex.so => not found
   libgraphics.so => not found

Every library appears to be installed that should be through synaptic. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it :)   (Yes, this is a netbook)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

You probably installed df40d13-head, yes? This seems to be a common problem.

I've updated the package to include my very own libstdc++. It should work now, if you redownload it.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That worked, thankyee kindly!

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I also have the garbled build menu bug in d13, as has been mentioned by others a bit earlier in the thread (though it doesn't really seem like it's been noticed).  Fresh install, XP Pro.  Were you trying to change these menus, or was it something that just happened?  If you were trying to change how they'd look, it'd be nice to have an init option to stay with the old style.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

That's either Veroule or Toady, I'm not sure who, but I would not be entirely surprised if it's the result of fixing the keyboard shortcuts in the help system (does anyone use that?).

In any case, I wouldn't know where to start in trying to fix that. Fortunately I don't need to; they're managing fine. You'll have to wait for d14, though.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

The manual change was an unrelated alteration to the text file loader.  I have no idea what happened with the menus yet.  Could be anything right now, but I'm assuming it'll be pretty easy to find once I get a chance to look.   I think I had to change how I grabbed the keybinding names since that function changed, but it's difficult to see what that has to do with the location.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I also couldn't find anything in any of the code I wrote that would cause the menu display problem.  I don't think Toady is using the general hotkey display function for those menus because of the right justify.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 147