Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373173 times)

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net

I get this when I try to run the latest release (40d13):
Code: [Select]
bash-3.1$ ./df
./dwarfort.exe: /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by ./libs/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0)
Using OpenGL output path with client-side arrays
Ideal catalog size: 353x341
./df: line 5: 21773 Segmentation fault      ./dwarfort.exe $*
It's done this both before and after I've copied the new libgraphics.so file from the HEAD release.

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net

After replacing my init.txt with the stock init.txt, I got the following:
Code: [Select]
bash-3.1$ ./df
./dwarfort.exe: /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by ./libs/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0)
Using OpenGL output path with client-side arrays
Ideal catalog size: 277x267
Using OpenGL output path with client-side arrays (this line repeated about 10 times)
./df: line 5: 21882 Segmentation fault      ./dwarfort.exe $*

UPDATE:
Ignore me.  Ugh.  I keep doing dumb things whenever there's a new release.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:27:06 pm by cbpye »

sawtooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Regarding the talk about exported map data that was going on before I would appreciate a human readable format over a binary one.  It might cost a bit more in time to dump the data but any tools that can read the data would be more robust when it came down to changes in different versions.

For human readable serialization there's always YAML libraries to do the work for you.  It would be a nice cross platform format as well as it has libraries so the data could be used in many different languages easily, (C, Perl, Ruby, python, etc.)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To me as a co-developer of khazad, it seems rather sub-optimal. Extracting the *whole* map this way (not just a single z-level) takes too long. I brewed some tea after staring at it for a couple of minutes. Khazad does this in seconds through the tiny 4B window of the Linux ptrace function. Also the amount of raw data produced is quite staggering. A well documented binary format would be better IMHO.

That wouldn't really have any advantage over text - either he has to convert into it (slow, just like the text format), or he has to freeze the internal structures (not gonna happen)

The way you do it now is only fast because you have to adapt to any changes he makes to the internal structures.
If he didn't want to go with a raw binary format, he could make a few methods to handle a lot of the functionality without the lag:

getMapData(x, y, z, x1, y1, z1)
getTileInfo(x, y, z)

This way the external app can call for data for specific tiles instead of the whole map or single tiles.  It can be in the same format (JSON?**)  The packet sent back can be dynamic just as the file is now.  You could even include a getCursorLocation() method that returns the active tile location.  It would be more efficient than dumping the entire map every time.  You could default the MapData function to a coordinate to match the current viewport and the TileInfo to the cursor location.

If he wanted to do binary dumps, he could just release the struct formats/changes for it each release and whoever makes the addon could easily integrate them into the addon.

**I said JSON because it's a name/value dataset that's smaller than XML, similar to C structures (in look and use) and there are a few different C++ libraries out there for it.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

I seem to be gettin a fairly significant FPS improvement on my favorite map. In D11 it got around 20-25 fps, now it appears to be getting 25-30 fps

Blank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

• build and designation menus are garbled, as others mentioned. It seems to by some justify problem - hotkeys are mixed in with text and it looks ugly. When I double info window size via Tab, it's somehow better, because most letters are right of the text as they used to be, but still not correctly aligned. For me, this is rather show stoper, because I am stilll new to this great game and I don't really know menus by memory. And I use these menus all the time, so I'll proably just use previous version for now.
Ditto, only the Windows version, instead. Hitting Tab repeatedly will sometimes rearrange the text, but it never gets fixed. Totally screwed up. =(

Also, partial printing with a 60 FPS graphical cap... Is this possible? I've tried lots of combinations and either got lightning-fast blinkies in all screens, or only some screens. Should I be trying huge numbers like 20..?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

• build and designation menus are garbled, as others mentioned. It seems to by some justify problem - hotkeys are mixed in with text and it looks ugly. When I double info window size via Tab, it's somehow better, because most letters are right of the text as they used to be, but still not correctly aligned. For me, this is rather show stoper, because I am stilll new to this great game and I don't really know menus by memory. And I use these menus all the time, so I'll proably just use previous version for now.
Ditto, only the Windows version, instead. Hitting Tab repeatedly will sometimes rearrange the text, but it never gets fixed. Totally screwed up. =(

Also, partial printing with a 60 FPS graphical cap... Is this possible? I've tried lots of combinations and either got lightning-fast blinkies in all screens, or only some screens. Should I be trying huge numbers like 20..?
For me the text is mostly ok when the menu is tabbed to double width- it's that the keys are not lining up properly. They're nearly on the left edge in single width and in double width that's still far enough over to overlap much of the text.
With workshops they are so far over that in single width I only see a few of the brackets.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do translucent tilesets in a one-tile-per-square system actually do?  Or is that supposed to mean graphic sets?
It has to do with the way the tiles are handled. There is color A B C... this is easiest to see with smoothed and then engraved floors (if you have them obscured.) If you've got one of those tilesets where a smoothed floor is basically a + but an engraved floor has extra lines making it into a spiral or laying down a bunch of small squares in the corners. The game makes both of those from the same tile in the font file.

Now, with doors you've surely noticed that sometimes it is a black border with a whatever color door in the middle but other times it is a black door-shape in the middle with a whatever color frame. Again, same tile but the game is looking at the colors in the image file and deciding how to draw them in the game.

So transparency allows some more control over this.
Now with engravings transparency transparency is the color that shows up in addition to what there was smoothed (instead of perhaps just inverting it so that your screen became a glob of white, gray, or microcline-blue.) or you can make something like a barrel have some 50% transparency that will make it actually, say, act like a shadow instead of just some third color that may or may not be appropriate.

Though it will also draw colors besides A B C, such as red or green. It hasn't been so much a limitation of how it does things so much as a way to make automatic color from grayscale. For this reason you can see a lot of tilesets with levers that have some color to tell their states apart, yet the handle is still cinnibar-red or granite-gray.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't disabled the FPS cap, but I never seemed to get above about 60 before testing this.  Haven't tested it extensively as of yet, but the initial results are very promising on my rig running at 1440x900  Normal 6x6 grid (which usually drug me down a bit)  Clips right along around the cap 95-100 FPS

only complaint is REALLY minor, namely that tweak doesn't work for it ;)

Yeah, I'm a lazy bugger.  Awesome work, and I don't say that often
Demon of Darkness

aklyatne

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of, well, spikes.
    • View Profile
    • Stumbleupon profile

I know it's been reported already, but...
Can't get out of map travel in adventure mode.  Which is a pain, because I have to wander around in a forest to get out of travel.  And then I get eaten by jaguar|bear|wolves|etc.

Is it just a key binding problem where shift+period doesn't work?
Don't even bother with trying to sp-
You have struck Alunite!
-ell my username.  Just type Ak or something.

da dwarf lord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know if some one has already reported this but the mouse designation selection option has stuffed up on mine and now if i have the designation screen open and move the mouse over the window even without clicking it designates random squares for mining

virus_found

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It designates those squares, which you point with a mouse. Though, it should only trigger with a click, not with a mere mouse movement.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know it's been reported already, but...
Can't get out of map travel in adventure mode.  Which is a pain, because I have to wander around in a forest to get out of travel.  And then I get eaten by jaguar|bear|wolves|etc.

Is it just a key binding problem where shift+period doesn't work?
Yes.  Set another key for the Travel End binding.  I used 'q' and it worked just fine.

I don't know if some one has already reported this but the mouse designation selection option has stuffed up on mine and now if i have the designation screen open and move the mouse over the window even without clicking it designates random squares for mining
Added to my bug list.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile

Could you set a "Keybind-file" where everything works into the wiki or the OP? I am sure that would help the people here who have problems with the bindings.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm confused. We're not posting in the designated DF Bug Reports forum?

On another note. Maydays latest MIX tileset doesn't appear to work properly. Dwarfs appear to each have been dipped into a primary color of paint. It could be that they're trying to a new tactic to scaring away Carp, but I sermise that such folly could not be the work of my Dwarves. Needless to say, it is how it is...
D12:

D13:

D13 INIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 147