Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373231 times)

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is my glxinfo:
*snip glxinfo*
It certainly looks like it ought to work. Yet it doesn't.

So, again, do any other opengl applications work? glxgears?
glxgears works, around 400 fps. I think that I may be missing a lib32 package, but I can't think which one...
If you were missing packages it just wouldn't start at all, but you may have installed the wrong package. You should not install lib32-libgl if you're using proprietary drivers, or vice versa.

I think I need lib32-intel-dri instead of lib32-libgl, but the download from the repository doesn't come with anything but the PKGBUILD, sans source.  >:(

Kuromimi505

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Baughn. You rock. Seriously. I don't think it can be said enough.

You have truly breathed new life into Dwarf Fortress and kept it from being stagnant since September.

But really you have done more than that. The mouse wheel zoom feature is AMAZING. It is SO much easier to organize battles and siege defense when you can see the whole map instead of archaic moving a tiny window around with keys.

The community owes you and all the people that have helped you a huge thank you. So:

THANK YOU BAUGHN!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile

Pre-loading impression: Had to open it up in console, the mac version also has dwarf fortress.exe for some reason...

First impressions: Has anyone seen someone in a G-force simulator? I felt like that.

Second impressions: Mouse wheel ... AHHHH. This is horrible! everything was bunched into the top half of the screen!

Third impression: My god... World gen took just over 3 seconds. granted, it was a shorter world anyway, but that's still impressive.

Fourth and final: It crashed. An axedwarf dropped his axe and his shield in the blink of an eye and then the light blue cross of doom flashed way past me trying every button on my keyboard. Nothing worked, not even shift+F (fullscreen toggle) or shift+Q (quit). Mashing important buttons made it quit eventually.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

The zooming algorithm has some unfortunate interactions with black-space, especially in plain 40d12, so turn that off. There are improvements around, but currently only available to linux users. ;)

Crashes.. um, yeah. Those might be my fault, or toady's fault, or cosmic rays.. I've yet to replicate any of them, but if you can find some way to make it crash /every/ time, that'd be swell.

The mac version has dwarfort.exe for the exact reason as the linux one - it's the actual executable, df is a script that invokes it with some useful settings. There's going to be a double-clickable app bundle eventually; in fact, there's one in this thread back a few pages you could use.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I finished coding all the keyboard changes towards D13.  I am going to take a break for a hour or 2, then merge it into the repository.  I don't think I got to adding any of the features on my to do lists, but the bug list has become empty.

As planned I made bindings able to be specified as a Unicode or scan code key.  This has one side effect, the shift key has to ignored with Unicode bindings.  I have to assume that the conversion used the shift key.  If I was doing this just for Windows it would be possible for me to determine whether the conversion used ctrl, alt, or shift; and then I could do the correct ignores.  I am not very familiar with Mac and Linux API's, but if modifier stripping is enough of an issue I will try to find a way to make it work on all platforms.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

salajander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right. There's a button to reset the zoom; on plain 40d12, I think it's just the middle mouse button.

Um. I suppose this might be a problem for you, but there it is.

In 40d13 it'll be f12, which is.. eh, also not so good on macs. And the middle button switch zooming modes.  ::)

Well, eventually it'll be configurable. :P

System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard -> check "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"

Alternatively, go to Keyboard Shortcuts and disable or reaassign things as you see fit.

Also, I usually use Dvorak, but I just switch to Qwerty when I'm playing DF so to avoid any keyboard mapping craziness. There is way too much customization needed to get Dvorak to be comfortable for DF...

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Finally it is up in the repository.  The first code merging I did was good, but I accidently caused git to throw it away.  I did it quite a bit faster the second time, and hopefully I didn't miss anything.  Let me know how it works or doesn't.
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

virus_found

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ehm, sorry for asking such a silly question, but what do I do with all that "source code"? :) Many diffs were made in last commit (today's), and all to g_src folder. Maybe I'm a bit blind, but I couldn't manage to find any READMEs about compiling that code.

EDIT>
I guess, I'll have to compile each file separately, but then what?

EDIT>
I googled up a bit and found out, I must use a so called "SCons" to build it (never heard that before). You should have definitely put that info into that README.linux.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:35:50 am by virus_found »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Finally it is up in the repository.  The first code merging I did was good, but I accidently caused git to throw it away.  I did it quite a bit faster the second time, and hopefully I didn't miss anything.  Let me know how it works or doesn't.
You forgot to actually merge it into master, not that I particularily mind.

I did that now, though.

However, this code fails to build. I'm not sure what made you think __int32 was a reasonable type; it's really not. (It's supposed to be int32_t, from stdint.h).

That, and a couple other things. I'm fixing them.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:56:09 am by Baughn »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

All done now. Phew.

Of course, this will need a d13 release to complete; it doesn't work with 40d12.

I'm sending the extra patch off to toady, assuming you've already sent your code.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hadn't sent it, because I wanted it to get some testing first.  Platform specific things are something I can't test.  Just getting a compile test is helpful.  Also one of the wonderful things about getting stuff off into seperate files is that you can just send the entire changed file.

The __int32, etc types seemed fine when I researched them.  The documentation I found said VisualC introduced them as an extension, and my gcc compiler liked them.  I guess it has some define hidden somewhere for them.

Thanks for stripping the __pascal out I forgot I was playing with that and had left it in.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Testing is impossible, as you've changed the interface between libgraphics and DF. DF itself needs to be recompiled, so you might as well send it.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I sent a full merging already.

Getting a good nights sleep does wonderful things for the ability to think.  Right after my third cup of coffee I realized that no one can test it and why.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

All right, I'll take a look at all the patches today or tomorrow.  Depending on how adventure mode goes, etc., in terms of reproducible bugs and whether they are gone or fixable, the release should follow.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm back with my usual Dvorak-compatibility complaints. d12 is more compatible than d11, but not as much as d10. What I found was that if I normally (without keys like Shift, Alt, Ctrl) pressed some buttons, I got erroneous output, but for others, I didn't. I'll provide a list. These don't seem to happen when I press Shift/Alt/Ctrl.
Code: [Select]
    Pressed     | Expected | Result
(Dvorak/Qwerty) |          |
-----------------------------------
      '/q            '          q
      w/,            ,          w
      e/.            .          e
      t/y            y          t
      o/r            r          o
      d/e            e          d
      f/u            u          f
      g/i            i          g