Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373294 times)

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only gains in speed from any of the 40d# series is from graphics being rendered better//optimised
If you already have a good graphics card, you wouldn't really see much of an improvement.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Is there a way to make the zooming faster//higher increments when adjusting it?

Also, using a 12x12 tileset, at 85x60 windowed mode, it also "zooms in" leaving a 3 tile wide black space between the window edges and the gamescreen border
The exact size of the increments is a work in progress. It's possible I'll make it adjustable, I suppose, but I'm not sure yet.

When does that "zooming in" you describe happen, exactly?
It happens after I keep scrolling the mousewheel to zoom in after going to original size. The tiles stay their original size, but it basically reduces the grid size.

Not sure if this info will help, but for 1x size, it seems to have a threshold area for zooming as well. Which to go from one side of of 1x to the other side (from Zoomed In 1.1x to Zoomed Out 1.1x seems to take 10 times the amount of mousewheel action than it does to go from 1.1x to 1.2x (and any number above that)

Other than the zooming strangeness, I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary. Although the zooming makes me wish it was the fortress part of the screen only, and not the menu.
The threshold thing was deliberate, because my original patch didn't have any way to reset the zoom other than zooming. I'll remove it for the next release.

Reducing the grid size the way you're describing is actually also my code, as a placeholder for "make tiles larger than 1:1" or so. It'll be fixed, so no worries.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Scroll-zooming isn't working at all for me either, both directions.  I assume my shitty IGP is to blame for it all of course.  Any plans on making the code less 'fragile'?
That shouldn't be the case, but I'll review the conditions where it'll prevent zooming again.

d64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone else have the problem that in adventurer mode, no key whatsoever seems to work? My guy is just standing in the mead hall and not even ESC does anything. Only thing that works seems to be the scroll wheel.

Still using d12 in XP.

Lando242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lando, maybe the problem with zooming is your mouse driver configuration is changing the mouse wheel events to something else, other than the standard mouse wheel events? You might want to check in your control panel or programs list for a vendor-specific program, or a tab in the mouse configuration dialog, where you can check and see if you can assign general or program-specific actions for the mouse wheel.

Using a Razor Habu gaming mouse and, while you can reassign stuff, I haven't messed with its basic key settings. Like I said, the scroll wheel works fine if I assign it to another task in DF, just not for zooming.

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't really see the point of the zoom function.  I make sure to optimize my grid/resolution size in init.txt to fit my monitor, so I guess it's not needed for me?  Also, is it only supposed to work in fullscreen mode?  Because it doesn't work in windowed mode for me.
Edit: I'm using Windows XP x64 with a Radeon X1950 XT with Catalyst 9.3

I do like how my tileset can be PNG, and I don't have to stretch the tiles to have a resolution divisible by 4 anymore.  I suspect both of those issues were resolved years ago though.  >_>  Maybe I should have tested that earlier.

It's kind of funny to go through the manual now.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:55:59 am by Stele007 »

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile

Under windowsXP, 40d12 crashes when embarking (when the "you have arrived" screen would show up). But it doesn't crash there in full-screen mode. I didn't touch the init.txt file. On a more positive note, zooming and resizing seem to work fine (but zooming is really slow). Oh, and if it's feasible, zooming to the cursor position, Supreme Commander-style, would be very nice.

I should be able to test under linux soon; in previous versions I noticed an incompatibility with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix interface: I had to kill that interface to stop df from only displaying a blank screen. The problem is present whether or not I tweak the init.txt.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

V12:
Resizing the window on the fly - excellent addition.  I dont have the wiki open as much as I used to, but cant be bothered changing the init back and forth to get a larger window.

I think someone mentioned this earlier, but I am not sure:
My game starts with the standard larger curses tile set, shown proportionally - so that the Trade Depot is not square on the screen, but a portrait rectangle.  This is always how I have the display.

When I zoom, it changes tile set (a bit*), and makes it tile a true square, so the depot is now square.

*Stone lying about in rooms from excavation used to be a square, following zooming it is a rounded blob.  The dwarfs remain the faces with beards, as opposed to the simple smily faces, which is the small curses font I think.

None of the above is a problem, and at least my forts now have correctly proportioned rooms!

Thanks for all the effort.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've experienced a crash on the help menu screen.  I can't remember exactly what I pressed, but DFd12 CTDed from that screen.  Vista 64, 8800GT.

Incidentally, how does one use this macro-making feature I've seen reported?  Maybe I'm blind, but I couldn't find it.

Edit to clarify I was talking about the in-game help menu
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:54:05 am by Narmio »

onodera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Adventurer mode doesn't work for me on vanilla d12. I can zoom in and out just fine, but nothing I press on the keyboard is recognised by DF.
Also, scrolling is very-very sluggish if I maximize the window. I guess 1920x1200 is too much for it.
[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:JUSTIFIED_IF_NOBLE]

Kamrusepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great speed improvements, but the zooming and resizing "on the fly" isnt the greatest idea; there needs to be a way to disable it (or is there already o_o?).

d64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Noticed that the on the fly resizing brings up a problem that existed before too - if the window size is not divisible by the tile size, everything works otherwise, but designating stuff with the mouse cursor is a bit off. You have to "aim" a bit higher than you would expect.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile

The days of explicitly stating your grid/window size are numbered.
Why on earth would you want to remove a feature?
Great speed improvements, but the zooming and resizing "on the fly" isnt the greatest idea; there needs to be a way to disable it (or is there already o_o?).
Yes please!

And, though I imagine it's not in your purview, some way of changing the size of the sidebar menu/map would be nice, it looks utterly silly when you have significantly larger screensize.
And, BROKENBROKENBROKEN:D
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

By the time I'm done with this, it won't be a feature.

The only possible thing it could do that zoom can't is get you non-square tiles.. well, tiles whose squareness or lack of same doesn't agree with the tileset.. which seems utterly useless.

There are a couple of improvements required before I get that far, though.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile

This 'useless' feature is in fact used in default init settings. And in mine. The default 800x600 font would look is stretched x2 vertically from its source.

*double-checks* curses640x300.png is 128(8p*16c)x192(12p*16c), curses800x600 is 160(10p*16c)x192(12p*16c)
Spoiler: "initold.txt" (click to show/hide)
80*8=640, 80*10=800, no scaling.
25*12=300. 800x600 default therefore scales the to 24-high from 12-high font.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 147