Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373308 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Both directions? You can't zoom in, and you can't zoom out?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Lando242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Correct, the wheel does nothing in either direction in regards to zooming. It works fine if I assign it to do something else though.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Is this still the case in full-screen mode?

Lando242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It goes from the default resolution to taking up the whole screen no matter which way I scroll. From there its not possible to make any changes to the zoom. If I exit full screen mode using F11 my desktop is completely garbled and and unusable but the game window returns to its normal size. Returning to full screen and exiting DF returns the garbled desktop to normal, so does running and exiting other full screen apps (cmd.exe in full scrren mode for example).

I'm guessing at this point that its an issue with my video card. I have an ATi Radeon x700, the drivers were last updated during March of this year. 1024x768 desktop resolution in 32bit color. Windows XP SP3 on an Intel P4 with 2 gigs of ram. If you need any of my other system specs feel free to let me know.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

How large is your tileset?

And yes, I expect it's a problem with your drivers, possibly compounded by the currently somewhat fragile zooming code. But if your desktop is getting corrupted, that's emphatically not DF's fault.

Lando242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How large is your tileset?

The last example I gave was from a completely stock, fresh install of d12. So whatever the default is is what I was using. I made no changes at all, I extracted it, ran DF, generated a new world and embarked.

And yes, I expect it's a problem with your drivers, possibly compounded by the currently somewhat fragile zooming code. But if your desktop is getting corrupted, that's emphatically not DF's fault.

Its the whole screen really, its a very weird effect, I'll try to describe it. First off the screen is doubled horizontally, next it has an odd checkerboard thing going on, where each "square" is shifted to a different area on screen. The mouse cursor isn't and it doesn't always happen. Going from fullscreen to the desktop using the windows key or something like that never causes it, only F11. I'll update my drivers later and see if it still does it.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

The stock tileset has a minimum window requirement of.. 800x300 for the largest one, I think, so that's not the problem.

It really sounds like your drivers are just broken. Do tell what happens with updated ones.

Lando242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems AMD/ATi are no longer providing driver support for a bunch of their older cards and mine is one of them. So what I have is the most current driver out there. Not like it matters though, I run in windowed mode anyway.

Fuzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm getting an SDL initialization failure if I try to run it full-screen.  "SDL Initialization Failure: No video mode large enough for 800x600" and then "Error Creating OpenGL Window". This is a bit odd since my desktop is running at... {looks at display settings} 640x480?  :-\ It's running at 1600x1200 but for some reason, my display settings are now borked. Going to try rebooting and see if there's a clear cause and effect.

I did get it up briefly in Windowed mode, but zooming initially did nothing and then crashed it again. Now, I can't even get it starting in Windowed mode.

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Working great, a suggestion for the macro storage though - could each macro be stored in a separate file in a /macro folder? 2 reasons that I can think of is easier macro sharing/sorting, and a util like Quickfort could literally make quick work generating them.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

unfortunatly I think I'll wait till D13 until I download it, (don't want to cry with frustration)

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The 40d12 tarball has the same problem with executable files I mentioned previously. Is it possible to get a list of what files need to be executable so I know which ones to remove the mode from?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

dwarfort.exe and df need to be executable, as well as all the folders. That's it.

'find . -type d -exec chmod u+x {} +' should take care of the folders.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, thanks :)

YAY MACROS! :D

Lando242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

unfortunatly I think I'll wait till D13 until I download it, (don't want to cry with frustration)

The game itself functions fine and is more than worth it simply for the keyboard rewrite, up and left will now move you diagonally again for example. The only issues I have relate to zooming (which doesn't work but doesn't cause any problems) and resizing the window (which, if you don't do, isn't a problem). I'm moving up to this version as soon I complete mucking around with graphics and tilesets.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 147