Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373077 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2008, 05:17:46 pm »

music_and_sound.cpp is deprecated; its functionality is duplicated by music_and_sound_fmodex.cpp, which is the newer version. It shouldn't be in the project file in my repository, either.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2008, 05:18:35 pm »

Also, using the project-local copy of SDL is rather the point; the entirety of SDL is bundled with the project.

darksaiyan

• Bay Watcher
  • Livin' with the dwarves since 2007
    • View Profile
    • The Game Reviews Database
« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2008, 05:28:17 pm »

It runs really well for me, and the game is cool too, making DF some kind of rome total war war game. I get OVER 9000! in the menu and anything, mouse over and anything (I put the limit on 10000 and it never got under that in the menu and map). Lowest ever was about 2500 when I had about 10 armies attack a region. Lots of green stuff there, I couldn't really figure out anything but some kind of quick matrix screensaver at that speed.

Windows XP Professional SP3 32bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 4400 2GHz
2,5GB RAM
GeForce 9600GT 512MB

It hanged once though. When I tried to move about 9 armies from one region to another, when I pressed enter to pass the turn, it hanged (not responding).

Either way, it makes me dream of Nascar speed Dwarves around the central circle of my fort. I doubt I'd be able to catch them that way, not even paused (jk). Great code. Toady might the best programmer when it comes to his game, but he's not the master of other engines. Some help might make the best DF yet.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 05:40:03 pm by darksaiyan »

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2008, 05:32:09 pm »

Works fine with default settings on my computer:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
Radeon HD 4800
Windows XP 32 bits

I can get to 9999 fps on default settings, it's more around 800-900 during a battle with a 125:50 grid (windowed).

I'll test on linux (ubuntu intrepid 64 bits) too if I have time. Do you have a 64 bits build? Otherwise, I guess I'll try and compile from source.

By the way, this is a nice Risk-like game. With some tweaks and added multiplayer, it could become really fun.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2008, 05:40:06 pm »

... on this machine:
Athlon XP 1800+
nVidia GeForce 6600GT
WinXP patched/updated

Running fine under all but the heaviest loads.  I'm using the Mayday tileset, and smashing the computer easily.  At 15-on-1 with no sound, my frame rate drops from 10,000 FPS (ceiling in INIT) down to 210, and then crashes out when I inevitably win the battle.  At 4-on-1 I was barely dropping the framerate to 3,500.  If it would be useful data for you, I can run a few test cases and provide data like
Code: [Select]
Army 1 - 2503
Army 2 - 1401
Army 3 - 1799
FPS = ~2700

Army 1 - 2503
Army 2 - 1401
Army 3 - 1799
Army 4 - 2034
FPS = ~2500

So you can plot performance drop-off vs. number of entities being simulated.  If that's not useful to you, then I think I'll go back to Dorfing.  Thanks for putting this together!  I can't wait to see performance increases in OpenGL handling. 
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2008, 05:48:42 pm »

Works fine with default settings on my computer:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
Radeon HD 4800
Windows XP 32 bits

I can get to 9999 fps on default settings, it's more around 800-900 during a battle with a 125:50 grid (windowed).

I'll test on linux (ubuntu intrepid 64 bits) too if I have time. Do you have a 64 bits build? Otherwise, I guess I'll try and compile from source.

A 64-bit build is out of the question, I'm afraid. There are way too many 32-bitisms in the code.

Use the 32-bit compat libraries. That's what they're for. :P

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2008, 05:49:57 pm »

No real point, no. At this point, unless BC outright fails to work for anyone (ignoring the MSVC++ runtime thing), I'm just sitting around, waiting for 40d-r2. :)

darksaiyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2008, 06:06:05 pm »

Also, concerning the game, what does the number beside the army in the map screen indicate? Like H1, B4 or something. I saw that the number increments with the number of battles fought. Is that it?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2008, 07:10:01 pm »

this could be the beginning of DF becoming open source... at least with individual modules, maybe pathfinding...

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2008, 07:11:13 pm »

I got this compiled on my system.  I had to use the NO_FMOD define to disable that code as the .lib you supplied didn't make sense to my compiler.  I wasn't about to spend time playing around with hunting down a current version of that library.

One very odd thing I had to do to make my compiler happy was to adjust the definition of "main" in enabler_sdl.cpp.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you can see I completely disabled argument handling, it was a quick and dirty hack.

I decided to eliminate the use of GLU32.dll by commenting out the LookAt and Perspective lines (they never seemed to be used), and replacing the gluOrtho2d with a glOrtho.  This completely elimnated the usage of that extension library.

I will be putting in my normal optimisation set next and posting some results.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

darksaiyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2008, 07:22:33 pm »

I doubt DF is going to become Open Source. Toady lives on our donations and is working full time on his game. I don't want it Open Source either. Besides, the game is going to become so moddable that anyone with a piece of mind would be able to get into the raws and do something of their own.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2008, 07:28:42 pm »

I got this compiled on my system.  I had to use the NO_FMOD define to disable that code as the .lib you supplied didn't make sense to my compiler.  I wasn't about to spend time playing around with hunting down a current version of that library.

One very odd thing I had to do to make my compiler happy was to adjust the definition of "main" in enabler_sdl.cpp.
As you can see I completely disabled argument handling, it was a quick and dirty hack.

I decided to eliminate the use of GLU32.dll by commenting out the LookAt and Perspective lines (they never seemed to be used), and replacing the gluOrtho2d with a glOrtho.  This completely elimnated the usage of that extension library.

I will be putting in my normal optimisation set next and posting some results.

There's a windows SDLmain library you're supposed link against that modifies the main for you. :)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2008, 07:34:23 pm »

Well it looks like I did something wrong since it doesn't play at all after I start play.  I will see if I can find some time to play with tommorrow.  I would like to post a working exe for all those that couldn't test due whatever build issue Baughn had.

I will take a look at that SDL_main.h.  I hadn't examined it yet, since digging through things is always done after they don't work right. :D

The only result I can post so far is
10000+FPS at the main and intial play screens
with init settings of
G_FPS at 20
MOUSE:NO
WINDOWED:YES
sizes all default

System specs (laughable and ancient)
1GHz Athalon
324MB Ram
Radeon7200 32MB onboard AGP2x
Windows XP SP2
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Razordw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 23, 2008, 08:46:13 pm »

Everything appears to run fine with the new BC and the original, which is great since it alleviated my only concern of not being able to run DF if this is implemented (6 year old computer and all). For my computer though it doesn't appear any faster compared to the original with the same tileset, graphics, init and whether partial printing is on or off (Setup: GFPS is set to 25, Windowed, 80x50 tiles in a 1280x960 window). So I'm guessing my old graphics card is either running great already or it's just not running properly at all.

Specs and brief Results (for the curious):

savanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2008, 08:49:20 pm »

Okay, poked around a lot with various things:

Changing font, window size, etc: No problems.

[WINDOWED:PROMPT] selecting Windowed mode works perfectly. Selecting Fullscreen flicks screen black for a second and then makes it a window with distorted fonts due to fullscreen settings.

[WINDOWED:YES] flicks to fullscreen black for a second and then switches to windowed mode with fullscreen resolution.

[WINDOWED:NO] flicks to fullscreen black for a second and then switches to windowed mode with fullscreen resolution!!

[GRAPHICS:YES] Segfaults, regardless of other settings.

Just to clarify - the 'most current' file is the one currently on the first page, correct? Because that's the one I've been re-downloading and using every time I run things.

Savanik
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 147