Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373438 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile

Bhelyer the Service-providers can track the used protocols and slow them down up to disconnect connections based on them thanks to the used routers.
Disallowing the torrent-protocoll thought is against net-neutrality which is law in many countrys. If you use a VPN (like to the new VPN service of TPB) you can use torrents because your provider gets only that you use a encripted-VPN protocoll.

I am sure some people here have own servers which could do some mirroring of the Bay12 download page.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love the idea of ICC boosting performance, and I'm sure each of our hard drives can handle it, but can Toady's host survive a client that's 33% larger?

The download will be a much smaller percentage larger, since most of it isn't the executable, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot

I am sure some people here have own servers which could do some mirroring of the Bay12 download page.
Download mirrors are of course already available.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile

Heph: did the rewrite, but FMOD is acting up (even with the DF binary) so I can't test my changes. I think it's a BIOS setting. Anyway, this hasn't been pushed, sent to Toady, or tested. It should work. Play, at least, anyway - the code I changed was fairly trivial and involved stopping sounds, I don't think it's actually ever called. I'll post it though. I'll tell you if something's wrong with it. Shouldn't be though.

Works, pushed, sent.

music_and_sound_fmodex.h
music_and_sound_fmodex.cpp
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:29:28 am by bhelyer »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks Bhelyer i look how far i can push my ideas. Its a nice code by the way :P. So wonderfull short.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just pushed code that loads an icon from a png file ('icon.png') using SDL_Image. The blank window has been bothering me. There was code using SDL_LoadBMP (from before SDL_Image was a dependency), but it was pretty ugly. Behold:

I assume the final windows/mac build will use some windows/mac magic to embed the icon (magically), but this should be useful for those of us on Linux.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:47:37 am by bhelyer »

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile

I have the following letter typed up, to post about how this build (40d11) works on my PC.

Dear Bay12 Games,

Wow, is the word that comes to mind, when I tested world generation within Dwarf Fortress version 28.181.40d11 on a sup-par PC that runs Windows 2000 SP 4. The OpenGL code has allowed me to generate a medium-sized world that ended up having 6,125 units at the end, in less than two, maybe three minutes.

Now, I have had this version on this particular program on this particular PC for almost two months now, but I did not for the life of me know how to get it to work properly. Either that or I did, and then screw the settings up, but that's not the point.

The world I created was generated in a 800x600 window, with the following settings -

[SOUND:OFF]
      [FPS_CAP:1000]
      [G_FPS_CAP:15]
      [VSYNC:DEFAULT]
      [PRIORITY:ABOVE_NORMAL]

All things I would have put in anyways, but I had the OpenGL settings at -

[PRINT_MODE:FRAME_BUFFER]
      [SINGLE_BUFFER:NO]

And throughout world generation, the average frame rate was around 106 FPS. The most shocking part is my system specifications.

Intel Pentium III 750 MHz
      128 MB RAM
      64 MB video card

All clearly under the system specifications of 1 GHz, 384 MB RAM, and 128 MB video card on my now dead computer I first used Dwarf Fortress on, before OpenGL coding was added.

So I now graciously thank the developers of Dwarf Fortress. amd the developer of the OpenGL code, for giving me a working version Dwarf Fortress on my computer.

Peace out, Cowen, the guy formerly known as Dei.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

That's the new opengl code. It used opengl all along, just very badly. ;)

And I'm happy to hear that it works this well for you.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Phew. Well after some poking about, I managed to install ICC. And I also managed see a speed up (for built up barbarian army vs barbarian army). Okay meaningless, but still, very interested to see what DF will be like.

Also, Heph, because I am an idiot, I forgot to set the music channel to looping. I've pushed the change and sent to Toady but I thought you might like to know if you're wondering why music isn't looping. I'll edit this post with a diff when I can be arsed. The change is trivial though.

(Aside: saw Star Trek tonight. Speaking as a non-trekkie, I enjoyed it).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 08:05:48 am by bhelyer »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bhyeler no problem i work any way on something different (Javascript multi-tile tree mockup with growing and physics and a Browsergame(rpg)) currently ;). I dont get to the sounds in the next 3 days.

Proud to be a Furry.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

I just sent a patch off to toady to use profile-guided optimization on the linux build. Between that and ICC, it should be getting quite speedy..

..hope he releases a version soon, but I guess he's busy.  ???
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I voted 'does not work' but have since managed to hunt up all of its odd library dependencies(d11 included the startlingly old libc it wanted, but did not include the strangely new libtiff -- not that it even uses libtiff!).  It seems rather faster now but more testing is obviously required.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh? It doesn't include libc.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

I thought Veroule was also doing a piece?  He messaged me about updating the keyboard stuff again, and some other things I think, but I didn't know if that was coming up this time specifically and I don't know how often you guys write each other about things.  I could set up something with the current patches sometime in the next few days if there's nothing else headed my way.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't speak for Veroule, but the only other thing (other than the myriads of re-sends I sent to you with the sound stuff :-[), is the code (well, one line change) to load an icon from a png file:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But I don't know if that came in with Baughn's stuff or not. It's hardly priority though.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 147