Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373590 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The layer would quite naturally be a 32-bit number, and configurable on a per-tile basis. Don't worry about running out. :P

It's true, though, I'll have to work with Toady to ensure I get all the data I'll need. I should still be able to do 90% of the work, making it relatively simple for him to do the rest.

EDIT: Oh, and question of the day: Who recognizes my avatar? If you get it right, I'll eat some carrot cake at you.
Something Nicky?

Anyway, layer-wise, I'm thinking
Creature
Building
Floor
Air

What about items - like barrels in stockpiles.

You might want five layers there: The floor, the stockpile designation (as a sort of translucent greying of the floor), the barrel, the dwarf drinking from the barrel, and the smoke caused by a fire set by a nearby fire snake.

With a detailed enough tileset this could be reasonable.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

EDIT: Oh, and question of the day: Who recognizes my avatar? If you get it right, I'll eat some carrot cake at you.

Does it count if I cheated?
Most certainly not.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

The layer would quite naturally be a 32-bit number, and configurable on a per-tile basis. Don't worry about running out. :P

It's true, though, I'll have to work with Toady to ensure I get all the data I'll need. I should still be able to do 90% of the work, making it relatively simple for him to do the rest.

Something Nicky?

Anyway, layer-wise, I'm thinking
Creature
Building
Floor
Air
The /character/, not the series name. And yes, I was thinking something similar.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think he would need a 32-bit number for layer (seems like a waste of memory to me...) but minimally, an 8-bit number should be plenty.  I don't think you'll see too many layers beyond 256 on a single tile unless he plans on drawing every floor below the current level for some pseudo 3D.  Even if he did that, it would likely get darker as it proceeds down eating up probably at most 64(16 * 4) of those spaces with 4 items per z-level.  Maybe even 128... regardless.  256 should be more than enough.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers

Hmm, when running it optimized(Not that I'm too sure what optimized would be, partial print is at 20 and frame buffer is on)
That is an impossibility with the 40d11 init format. Did you copy init.txt from an earlier version? Don't.
Well, I fixed that now, but I'm still getting crashes, I may just revert back to 40d.
Edit: It seems to be crashing every time a dwarf of mine goes berserk, he's in a locked room, so I can't imagine why he's causing it, but it happens every time he decides to fail his mood.
Editedit: Not sure if this helps, but:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's what Windows error report gave me.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:20:10 pm by Smew »

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi, I found an odd glitch in the linux version. Ubuntu 8.10. When I first started df everything worked perfectly, then 5 seconds later the screen would only show red. Everything was working, I just couldn't see what was going on. The same problem occured when using the windows version under wine.

Eventually I isolated the problem to whenever you click on the window, or anywhere else. Or when 5 seconds or so pass the graphics would be messed up. Pressing f11 to switch in and out of full screen mode would reload the graphics but they'd break again a second later.

Eventually I traced the problem back to the visual settings tab under gnome appearance, set it to none: simple desktop, and suddenly everything in the game would work perfectly.

Any ideas as to what is happening? It can be fixed with minimal effort but it is annoying.
Ubuntu uses Beryl/Compiz to do all it's window effects.  It's not very good at sharing the video card with other applications.

Jaunty (Ubuntu 9.04) should fix this for you (probably... unless you have a very recent ATI card). I'm running the beta now but the final release comes out later this month anyway.

The key component is DRI2 - a rewrite of the 3d acceleration pipeline in the X server. The reason it won't work with newer ATI cards is because ATI's vendor-provided drivers suck, and the open source ones don't yet have full 3d support for the newest generation of chips. Everything else should be good though, as far as I know (and the Radeon/RadeonHD driver team is moving along swiftly with the R600 and R700 support, so give it a few months...)

Glaughdram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Status update: Future of the graphics
    • True tile transparency: By adding a "layer" tag to tiles, using the extra CPU power afforded by threading and keeping track of what DF drew previously, it will be possible to have multiple tiles drawn on top of each other. So you'll be able to see the grass through the dwarf tile, say.

My jaw is on the floor. I had thought this one was a long way off.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • High dwarf
      • View Profile

Tested 40d11 with my oldest / largest fort..

No notable increase in FPS, is the same as with normal 40d, hovering around 10-15 FPS.
    I needed to set PARTIAL:40 before I had no more screen flickering. (Most screen flickering disappeared earlier, but the FPS counter kept flickering up to PARTIAL:40)

ACCUM_BUFFER and FRAME_BUFFER both flicker too much to be playable, either with or without SINGLE_BUFFER.

The fort I tried it with has about 150 dwarves, tons of animals (most caged tho), on a 4x4 map, magma pool, brook, no other underground features. No weather / temperature either..
    It's the fort I also posted in the 'want a King' thread.
    Should I test older versions as well for FPS?
    Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
    • [UNDEAD]
      • View Profile

ok here is my problem 25 dwarves, 3 by 3 embark area flat, no rivers, and one magma pipe. i can run it on normal dwarfortress with accelerator for 100 fps on 40d11 i can only get 65. How can i change my screen refresh setting to get more speed? Or should i get a new graphics card?

My computer is a three year old p.o.s. so it could be that...
    « Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:58:05 am by Lord_Shadow »
    Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
    Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
    Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

Suppose that would depend on what exactly it has.  My computers about three years old too, but I've upgraded bits and pieces of it, so it still holds up pretty well under newer games.  Got a nice (and cheap) nvidia 8800 GT for it, which works like a dream.  But probably the biggest performance boost I got was upgrading from 1 gig of ram to 3.  This is running XP, btw.

Right now I'm getting about 50-70 pfd on a 6x6 map, river, but no other underground sources that I'm aware of.  44 dwarves, lots of animals, but all of them pets now, I killed off all the others.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

Tested 40d11 with my oldest / largest fort..

No notable increase in FPS, is the same as with normal 40d, hovering around 10-15 FPS.
    I needed to set PARTIAL:40 before I had no more screen flickering. (Most screen flickering disappeared earlier, but the FPS counter kept flickering up to PARTIAL:40)

ACCUM_BUFFER and FRAME_BUFFER both flicker too much to be playable, either with or without SINGLE_BUFFER.

The fort I tried it with has about 150 dwarves, tons of animals (most caged tho), on a 4x4 map, magma pool, brook, no other underground features. No weather / temperature either..
    It's the fort I also posted in the 'want a King' thread.
    Should I test older versions as well for FPS?

10-15 FPS sounds reasonable for 150 dwarves if your hallways are a little smaller than they should be. Try identifying some traffic bottlenecks and widen the halls / build new stairs. Also if you've just designated a bunch of rocks to be dumped that'll do it too.

My current fort is getting 15-20 FPS with a dual-core Athlon 64 2.6 GHz. (I think the model number is 5400+ or something like that) CPU time is the real FPS killer. This is with ACCUM_BUFFER on an Nvidia 8800 GTX on Linux with Compiz (well, actually with Ecomorph on E17, but same idea).

Edit: that's 153 dwarves and 102 animals (11 trained, about two dozen caged).
    « Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:04:15 pm by corvvs »

lazybum

• Escaped Lunatic
      • View Profile

A crazy stalker with a cellphone that can see the future (the stalkee's future), who is currently trying to get her stalkee to become god by killing a certain group of people. And then to have him kill her.  Yuno was it? I suck at names.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

A bit excessive? Or more like several bits excessive. I don't envision us needing more than 256 layers. Would it save space to use only 16, or possibly even 8 bits?
    So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
    • The Haruhiist
    • Hiss
      • View Profile

Not really; it's a per-tile number, and the tiles are already rather large bitmaps.

I see no reason to worry about it, and you never know - someone might write a setup that does need more than 256 tile levels.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
    • The Haruhiist
    • Hiss
      • View Profile

A crazy stalker with a cellphone that can see the future (the stalkee's future), who is currently trying to get her stalkee to become god by killing a certain group of people. And then to have him kill her.  Yuno was it? I suck at names.
    Gasai Yuno, yep. Cute girl.

She's very nice if you treat her right, though. ^_^
    Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 147