Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373566 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have also installed mayday's graphics pack, if that is relevant.
I didn't know Mike had a pack for d11... did you try converting the bmps to png?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

lazybum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi, I found an odd glitch in the linux version. Ubuntu 8.10. When I first started df everything worked perfectly, then 5 seconds later the screen would only show red. Everything was working, I just couldn't see what was going on. The same problem occured when using the windows version under wine.

Eventually I isolated the problem to whenever you click on the window, or anywhere else. Or when 5 seconds or so pass the graphics would be messed up. Pressing f11 to switch in and out of full screen mode would reload the graphics but they'd break again a second later.

Eventually I traced the problem back to the visual settings tab under gnome appearance, set it to none: simple desktop, and suddenly everything in the game would work perfectly.

Any ideas as to what is happening? It can be fixed with minimal effort but it is annoying.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi, I found an odd glitch in the linux version. Ubuntu 8.10. When I first started df everything worked perfectly, then 5 seconds later the screen would only show red. Everything was working, I just couldn't see what was going on. The same problem occured when using the windows version under wine.

Eventually I isolated the problem to whenever you click on the window, or anywhere else. Or when 5 seconds or so pass the graphics would be messed up. Pressing f11 to switch in and out of full screen mode would reload the graphics but they'd break again a second later.

Eventually I traced the problem back to the visual settings tab under gnome appearance, set it to none: simple desktop, and suddenly everything in the game would work perfectly.

Any ideas as to what is happening? It can be fixed with minimal effort but it is annoying.
Ubuntu uses Beryl/Compiz to do all it's window effects.  It's not very good at sharing the video card with other applications.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

lazybum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Oh, alright then. I didn't really need those effects anyway.  :P

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Status update: Future of the graphics

What I'm currently working on. I might not get around to finishing it before may or even late june (exams), but this will eventually make it into DF:

• init.txt parser rewrite: Along with reducing my general annoyance level, will give you errors instead of silently ignoring any typos or old commands.
  • OpenGL threading: By (optionally) moving graphics into a separate thread, those of you on dual-core machines should get a noticable speed boost.
  • True tile transparency: By adding a "layer" tag to tiles, using the extra CPU power afforded by threading and keeping track of what DF drew previously, it will be possible to have multiple tiles drawn on top of each other. So you'll be able to see the grass through the dwarf tile, say.
  • Keyboard rewrite: A-bloody-gain. I've really had it with this bloody thing, but I'll give it one more shot.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Hey Baughn, good luck on your exams!

Just curious..
Do you have any idea yet why the 40dx versions don't work on my laptop?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Sorry, none.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

:D

Should have tried before, I know:

Setting WINDOWDED:PROMPT to WINDOWED:NO in the init file fix'd problem..
At least I'm past the intro and into the title screen now..

So, we know now where the problem was located: at the windowed yes/no prompt pop up.
Will test FPS for you soon
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

lazybum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Having just read through this thread (no I don't know why I did it) I've noticed a lot of complaints about keyboard layouts (and rewrites). Don't know if it matters much but I'm using Dvorak on a laptop, and never noticed any problems myself.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

• True tile transparency: By adding a "layer" tag to tiles, using the extra CPU power afforded by threading and keeping track of what DF drew previously, it will be possible to have multiple tiles drawn on top of each other. So you'll be able to see the grass through the dwarf tile, say.

Neato.  That would be nice particularly for water and gas clouds, so they could be transparent overlays instead of blocking your view completely.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neato.  That would be nice particularly for water and gas clouds, so they could be transparent overlays instead of blocking your view completely.
Yeah, but Baughn would have to work closely with Toady on "how" it would be done.  There could be at least 3 layers of a single tile.  Ground, Creature(s), Airborne.  The creature tiles would still need to cycle through all the creatures in the tile while the ground/air would only need one unless Toady decides to allow miasma and mist to exist in the same tile.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, but Baughn would have to work closely with Toady on "how" it would be done.  There could be at least 3 layers of a single tile.  Ground, Creature(s), Airborne.  The creature tiles would still need to cycle through all the creatures in the tile while the ground/air would only need one unless Toady decides to allow miasma and mist to exist in the same tile.

Possibly one more for furniture (i.e. a tile with an +engraved+ floor, a chair, a dwarf, and miasma)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

The layer would quite naturally be a 32-bit number, and configurable on a per-tile basis. Don't worry about running out. :P

It's true, though, I'll have to work with Toady to ensure I get all the data I'll need. I should still be able to do 90% of the work, making it relatively simple for him to do the rest.

EDIT: Oh, and question of the day: Who recognizes my avatar? If you get it right, I'll eat some carrot cake at you.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:01:52 pm by Baughn »

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EDIT: Oh, and question of the day: Who recognizes my avatar? If you get it right, I'll eat some carrot cake at you.

Does it count if I cheated?

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile

The layer would quite naturally be a 32-bit number, and configurable on a per-tile basis. Don't worry about running out. :P

It's true, though, I'll have to work with Toady to ensure I get all the data I'll need. I should still be able to do 90% of the work, making it relatively simple for him to do the rest.

Something Nicky?

Anyway, layer-wise, I'm thinking
Creature
Building
Floor
Air
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:29:16 pm by Qmarx »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 147