Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373567 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile

Having some minor key press issues in 40d11.  I used to be able to press, for example, down and right simultaneously and the game would process both -- this made diagonal movement easy.  Now it just process one and ignores the other.  I'm on a standard US QWERTY setup on a laptop.

I'm getting the same issue, on a standard Macbook laptop (I guess it's a standard US QWERTY keyboard, but I'd need to check).  I've noticed that if I press the left/right arrows just before also pressing the down/up arrows, both keys seem to be recognized and I get normal diagonal movement.  If I press the left/right and down/up arrows at the same time (the way I used to be able to do it), only the up/down keys are recognized.  But I've also noticed that this domination by one key isn't 100%, more like 75-90%.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

I have a very minor issue. It seems like DF is taking much longer to actually shut down now. The main window will go away, but it'll be a minute or two before my computer really acts like it's shut down. This mostly manifests as a lot of lag if I try to move my mouse around right after quitting the game.

Like I said, it's minor. But I figured I'd mention it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm...  I was under the impression as long as the "[GRAPHICS:YES]" thing, well, said YES, it overrode the windowed and fullscreened bit?  At least, it didn't show any adverse results, and I'd definitely notice that much space squished into such a small space, especially with a graphical tileset.

But!  As you said, odd bugs come from odd places, so just for kicks I set the numbers correctly across the board.  It doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect though, but it was certainly worth a go.

As for the issue I posted last night, about an hour later it fixed itself, presumably the dwarf causing the problem died, and all was good and right with the world again.  I've had a few dwarves get stuck after that (a dungeon master being one of them at one point), but none caused such adverse results.

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was gonna say "no noticeable change", but then I remembered that my laptop wasn't plugged in and was set to economic power usage.  >_>  Give it a try at work tomorrow and see how the frames are.  Volcano, here I come!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile

It seems pathfinding now takes more time than before, especially when some peasants walk multi levels during one way.
7 "dumpers" = 600-900 fps
25 "dumpers" = 40-60 fps

If i let the animals out of their cages, there will be nightmare.

Also does the ramp carving. Slowdowns are quite impressive when 4-5 miners are doing their work around clearing the ground (i like straight square forms ;-)).
Finis sanctificat media.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yea, i noticed the pathfinding problem too.. it honestly seems much worse in d11 then d9 [the version i used before it].
in d9 i could get upto 100dwarves moving* at 40-50fps
now.. at 50 dwarves moving* i get 15fps-30fps

moving* being doing tasks, mostly dumping/mining.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 09:31:21 am by Rift »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

I usually run 2x2 forts only. Now I can run 3x3 and even 3x4 without trouble. Hooray!

on 1.6Ghz XP with 768mb ram :)

Hyperion2010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I have a really wierd/hellishly annoying bug, where when I click save game, it pretends to save, and then when I quit and go to look for it in the saves folder it is not there!  The autosave works, but normal save doesnt :(

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I had something weird like that happen with another game.  If you happen to be running vista, and dwarf fortress is in the program files folder, try moving the dwarf fortress files somewhere else.

Seems vista does not like programs saving stuff to the program files folder and will sometimes reroute the files to some arbitrary location in my documents.  Then the program can't find the file it created.  I don't know what causes it to do that, because it won't do it to everything.

(Of course this is making a number of assumptions. Ignore me if this isn't the issue.)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In Vista/7, only administrator-rights programs can write to Program Files- everything else goes into... \Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\(etc). You'll have to either turn on viewing hidden files, or manually type the path in.

The program itself *shouldn't* know the difference, but if you browse to go manually look for it then you won't see it (unless you go to the virtualstore thing). I'm not sure why your autosaves would show up while the save&quit saves don't, though...

It's supposed to be a security feature so that a limited-rights user can't overwrite program data files and compromise other users, I think, but the problem is that programs that don't follow the appropriate guidelines for per-user data (which is to put it in their users folder) would all break all of a sudden if it didn't do this virtualization (or have to be run in admin mode all the time).

I just put DF on my desktop :P
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Rad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On Gentoo / x86_64:

Looks like the new beta binarywas linked against libtiff.so.4, which doesn't seem to be in Gentoo's emul-linux-x86-baselibs (32bit compatibility libraries) yet.

But it seems like you can cp /usr/lib32/libtiff.so.3 to libs/libtiff.so.4 in the dwarf fortress folder and it runs. This is obviously a "fix it with an axe" type of approach to this problem, but who knows how long it will be until the baselibs' libtiff is updated.

jpalan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

On Gentoo / x86_64:

Looks like the new beta binarywas linked against libtiff.so.4, which doesn't seem to be in Gentoo's emul-linux-x86-baselibs (32bit compatibility libraries) yet.

But it seems like you can cp /usr/lib32/libtiff.so.3 to libs/libtiff.so.4 in the dwarf fortress folder and it runs. This is obviously a "fix it with an axe" type of approach to this problem, but who knows how long it will be until the baselibs' libtiff is updated.

Symbolic link will do the trick just fine and I'm pretty sure your libtiff is up to date anyway so no need to worry about that. I think the libtiff.so.4 is just some Ubuntu related quirk as they use lots of their own more or less weird patches (which sometimes have nasty effects, like making gcc to produce broken binaries and stuff). ::)

yinyang107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Single problem with this: I can't choose which materials to Build with (i.e. Statue>Microcline Statue or Wall>Orthoclase)
Minor problem, but still.
Other that that, I'm lovin' it!
There's something to be said about a game where people are having a straight-faced discussion about smelting fish and the logistical problems that come with that.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Single problem with this: I can't choose which materials to Build with (i.e. Statue>Microcline Statue or Wall>Orthoclase)
Minor problem, but still.
Other that that, I'm lovin' it!
Try changing your key delay in the init.txt  I think it's default is 150.  Set it to 230-250.  You are holding the Enter key for longer than 150ms causing it to repeat.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

yinyang107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gracias.
There's something to be said about a game where people are having a straight-faced discussion about smelting fish and the logistical problems that come with that.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 147