Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373601 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and tileset creators: This version should accept PNG tilesets with alpha transparency. I say "should", because the code has not been tested, there being no such tilesets to test it on yet. This must not continue. ;)
Does this actually mean, I could create a graphics set that enables me to see what tiles my dwarves are standing on?
Doesn't really matter unless Toady draws the tile AND the character/item on it.  I don't think the game does that.  The only benefit I can see are for oversize tiles.  Think grass that has a transition zone to sand that extends beyond the tile size.  You'd have ot enable full size tiles and offsets for it to work though.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AFAIK It's for actual backgrounds other than black - there are a few in the game.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Oh, and tileset creators: This version should accept PNG tilesets with alpha transparency. I say "should", because the code has not been tested, there being no such tilesets to test it on yet. This must not continue.

Mine's been out forever. Works fine.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you tried other OpenGL games.  (Quake, WoW?)
Not those two specific titles, but I've run mebbe over a hundred different games on this laptop, all work fine. I play EVE-online on it too, dunno if that's openGL

Not many Windows games are OpenGL -- mostly they use DirectX.  You can download an OpenGL benchmark tool from:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/OpenGL-Geometry-Benchmark.shtml

or a more basic diagnostic from:

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

Remains also the fact that although dwarffortress.exe is running, it's not listed as an active application, only as a process, in the Ctrl-Alt-Del panel, I dunno if failure to render could cause that.

Yes, it would.  The "applications" tab in task manager only shows processes with a visible Window.  If something breaks in DF before it gets a chance to draw its main window, it won't show up there, only in the "processes" tab.

--K

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Thanks for the info Kutulu.. Learn something new every day :)

Anyways, ran that benchmark tool as well, here's the results:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile

Oh, and tileset creators: This version should accept PNG tilesets with alpha transparency. I say "should", because the code has not been tested, there being no such tilesets to test it on yet. This must not continue. ;)
Does this actually mean, I could create a graphics set that enables me to see what tiles my dwarves are standing on?

That's probably not possible without Toady altering the way tiles and units are rendered.

This is just something I've surmised, but I believe when rendering a frame, a tile is either a tile, an object, or a unit. As far as the graphical frame is concerned, that tile with a dwarf standing on it is simply a dwarf tile.

Seeing the tile below a unit would likely require this to be changed so units (and while he was at it, items) were rendered as an overlay over the base tiles, so that there was actually something there in that frame to see below the transparent parts of your unit tiles.

jpalan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I'm playing this small fortress with 20+ dwarves and suddenly everything just stops.CPU use drops to zero and nothing happens after that, I have no choice but to kill -9 dwarfort.exe. I minimized the window and then restored it again and it's all black so apparently the program really does absolutely nothing, it doesn't even refresh the window.

This has been happening many times now and I don't remember it happening with any of the older versions, including 40d10.

I'm not playing with default settings though, I've limited the dwarves to 20, resized the window and turned of temperature, weather and caveins and raised G_FPS_CAP to 30. However, I don't think those make any difference.

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, went with a smaller map to test and toy around with stuff.  With a 7x7 region, the game ran quite nicely, about 100 or so FPS on average. (paused it hits about 2200)

I've tried every other trick I've seen mentioned in this thread, but short of shrinking the area, nothing really seems to work.  I tried changing the affinity of things so the game had a CPU all to itself, but to no avail. 
Heck I even tried raising its priority to above average (then, just for kicks, realtime), but no effect....none at all, actually, which strikes me as odd.  Set it at Low as well, just for kicks, and no change whatsoever either.

Anyways...now I've hit another odd problem, but it may just be a normal game bug which is fritzing things out.  All was going well for a while, but I had a few immigrants show up, (this is like my 6th batch of them), which is usually good, but the new batch seems...stuck. 
They just stand there at the edge of the map, occasionally milling around a little, but not much else.  Some of them even have jobs appointed, like it'll say they're moving something to a stockpile...but they never actually move.  This went on for a while, but now it seems they're all dieing, starving to death, going crazy, etc... 

Now I'm not sure if it is cause so many dwarves just standing there, slowly dieing/going crazy/etc, but now the speed of the games dropped from a nice 80fps, to about 30-40fps.  It's a very choppy 30-40fps though, too.  The dwarves will move, then a slight pause...move, pause... (they actually move about 4 squares between pauses.)

If it's not a known bug, well, consider this a bug report. :)  If it is known...is there anything I can do about it, short of waiting for them to kick the bucket?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Tayron, this may or may not be relevant, but in your init, the grid size and resolution/tileset don't line up. You're using nonstandard 80x48 with standard 600x300. Combined with BLACK_SPACE:NO, this means the game spends (however miniscule an amount) time squeezing your 48 lines into space for 25 lines. Use a square tileset if you want square tiles, and adjust the resolution to match the gridsize and tileset.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tayron, this may or may not be relevant, but in your init, the grid size and resolution/tileset don't line up. You're using nonstandard 80x48 with standard 600x300. Combined with BLACK_SPACE:NO, this means the game spends (however miniscule an amount) time squeezing your 48 lines into space for 25 lines.

It almost certainly leverages the graphics card to do that.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Like I said, it may not be relevant, but when such odd bugs as in the latest version of Crimsonland are possible...
(if you turned off the sound completely, the most important "fire bullets" bonus never appeared - despite it being a completely separate chunk of code in a completely separate DLL)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile

I've downloaded the Mac version of 40d11, but I can't get it to open when I click on dwarfort.exe.  Do I need that Battle Champs thing to open it, and if so, where do I find it?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:44:03 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You need to open Terminal.app, change to the Dwarf Fortress directory, and run ./df as so:

cd ~/Games/Dwarf\ Fortress
./df

That should work (change the path to wherever DF is - a trick you can do is open terminal, type "cd" and then drag the DF folder into the terminal - it'll put the path there for you).

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Having some minor key press issues in 40d11.  I used to be able to press, for example, down and right simultaneously and the game would process both -- this made diagonal movement easy.  Now it just process one and ignores the other.  I'm on a standard US QWERTY setup on a laptop.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gentoo Linux Report...
« Reply #1214 on: April 01, 2009, 02:45:16 pm »

Running on a Dell Inspiron laptop running Gentoo Linux, I see wildly varying performance numbers based on the print mode, which seem to contradict the reports of most other people.

STANDARD mode seems to work just fine, much better than what I was getting from WINE, and on par with what I see on Windows.  This isn't a very high-end graphics processor (Intel 915GM mobile) so getting a pretty steady 100fps makes me plenty happy.  It does seem to stutter more on Linux than Windows, dropping down to 30-50 fps for brief periods, but I can deal.

The alternate print modes, despite what I've been seeing in the forums, are decidedly worse, even than 40d under WINE:

ACCUM_BUFFER: averages ~10fps, sits at 0fps for seconds at a time doing nothing, very rarely shows "blips" of higher fps.
FRAME_BUFFER: same as above, except with rare bursts of "normal" behavior where response picks up
PARTIAL:2: same as ACCUM_BUFFER.

Setting SINGLE_BUFFER on seems to have no effect except for eliminating the occasional bursts of speed from FRAME_BUFFER.

In all three non-standard modes, keyboard response also goes south.  The game continues to run , but I can count between 20 and 50 "frames" (specifically, I counted how many times one of my dwarves moved) between the time I hit a key and the time it registers.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 147