Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373057 times)

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2008, 09:08:44 am »

Visit http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/, install and run the viewer, then click on report. Copy all the text in the report to a post here - preferably in a spoiler.

Fails to load on this machine:

Athlon XP 1800+
nVidia GeForce 6600GT
WinXP patched/updated

Extensions Viewer Report:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can see that GL_NV_timer_query is missing, and I thought I noticed some chatter about that upthread.  Is there a way to get that extension without bumping my drivers back to the stone age?

Rendering tests ranged from 1845 - 1439 FPS on OpenGL 1.x, and 864 and 78 on OpenGL 2.0 and 2.1, respectively.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2008, 09:10:49 am »

It works fine for me, except that it doesn't like my keyboard format.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Deto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2008, 09:35:26 am »

This is probably vista related, nothing works on vista anyhow, but when trying to run BC I get message:

What are you talking about? I have x64 Vista, and even the old DOS games are running on it perfectly... ::)
It is YOUR Vista what is problematic.
..as for your problem:
Try to reinstall the visual c runtime libraries.

Works nicely now, thanks :)

But Vista is still huge pile of .... funky stuff. It either works, or doesn't work at all (and it usually doesn't work at all) where as XP always works, sometimes worse than other times, but it works :D

edit: This is talking about non-gaming things. XP works soooo much better. Dunno how Vista handles games. My laptop has so terrible 3d card I can hardly play anything anyhow :D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:38:32 am by Deto »

SupSuper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2008, 09:38:12 am »

Tried this out on Vista, everything works fine for me. Set the grid size to 160x85 on fullscreen (biggest I can see on my screen), no partial print, 5000 FPS Cap. Here's some results I got (FPS is the same in menus and battles, but always goes down to half in Options screen for some reason):
50 GFPS -> 4000FPS max
80 GFPS -> 3200FPS max
100 GFPS -> 2400FPS max
150 GFPS -> 1000FPS max
160 GFPS -> 600FPS max
170 GFPS -> 400FPS max
>170 GFPS -> locks to 180FPS max, doesn't change anymore regardless of GFPS

Also tried splatting some alpha-transparency on the tileset, that seems to work too with no visible performance loss.

These are my specs:
Intel Core Duo E6300 1.8Ghz (overclocked to 3.1Ghz)
4GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM
ATI Radeon X1600 Pro PCI-E 512MB
Windows Vista Business x64 SP1

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2008, 09:44:05 am »

This is probably vista related, nothing works on vista anyhow, but when trying to run BC I get message:

What are you talking about? I have x64 Vista, and even the old DOS games are running on it perfectly... ::)
It is YOUR Vista what is problematic.
..as for your problem:
Try to reinstall the visual c runtime libraries.

Works nicely now, thanks :)

But Vista is still huge pile of .... funky stuff. It either works, or doesn't work at all (and it usually doesn't work at all) where as XP always works, sometimes worse than other times, but it works :D

edit: This is talking about non-gaming things. XP works soooo much better. Dunno how Vista handles games. My laptop has so terrible 3d card I can hardly play anything anyhow :D

I am happy that I could help.  :)

Well, Vista is excellent. Installing a proper Vista version is very important, if you want to have a fast&100% stable Vista OS.  I have the original x64 Vista Ultimate of course, but I've made a new iso out of it, so that new vista installation DVD is only ~1Gb. It's faster than XP with SP3. Reboot time is ~10 seconds. Everything is lightning fast..apps and games also.
How can you create a Vista OS like that? Visit this site: http://www.vlite.net/   :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:45:36 am by Tormy »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2008, 10:45:15 am »

OKay, people.

The "error in program configuration" bug is a known bug, and is solely cause by my lack of MSVC skills; Toady should have no trouble fixing it.

If you have *other* problems, please mention them. If you have that one, you can fix it by installing the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package, which can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2008, 11:18:30 am »

I'm trying to push it to the limit, but I think I'm failing.
1280x1024 with 200:160grid I get 10000fps constantly. I increased the limit to 100k but I think 10k is the hard limit, can't get it past that.

I'm on Vista x64, Athlon x2 6000+, with a 8800 ultra OCed.

Now, if DF runs like that, you WIN.

Edit:
I tried to push it further to make use of my dual screen and btw, please include dual screen support on DF so you can have maybe the entire action screen in one monitor and menus/overhead map/status on the other. Right now I play DF in 2560x1024 and the split area between the monitors can get annoying when the game isn't designed for that, but I know that's my fault for trying to do that, so please, if you guys can do some work on that too, I appreciate. :)

2560x1024 with 200:80 grid. Still capping at 10k fps. Gigantic screenshot goodness:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:28:30 am by Soulwynd »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2008, 11:19:54 am »

It won't. BC pretty much only renders; DF has a bit more simulation to do. :P

Look at the dev blog, though.

EDIT: Also, the better your GPU, the less improvement is to be made. My computer has basically the same setup, and DFA gives me nothing on that one; don't expect vast improvements.

On the other hand, DF should already be pretty fast for you. :P
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:25:32 am by Baughn »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2008, 11:30:32 am »

Yeah, I get 500+fps at start and around 200fps with 30-50 dorfs. It's pretty nice.

Check the edit about 2 monitors tho. That would be awesome for DF, split screen support. :)

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2008, 12:47:48 pm »

The "error in program configuration" bug is a known bug, and is solely cause by my lack of MSVC skills; Toady should have no trouble fixing it.

(...) If you have that one, you can fix it by installing the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package, which can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

Thanks!  Glad you updated the front-page sticky; do you think this link should go there too, in case the thread keeps growing?
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2008, 01:00:12 pm »

Nice.

(Disclaimer: This is more of a post to make sure this shows up in my "replies to your posts" link I use profusely.  I haven't actually looked at it yet.  ::))
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2008, 01:25:38 pm »

Uh, I am lost.

I get the screen with all of the territories and I have no idea what to do.

I press Enter and nothing ever happens.  If I press one of the letters, it flashes that territory and gives me some info.  If I press space while a territory is flashing, it stops flashing.  Enter never does anything whatsoever, but apparently it's supposed to take me to the 'next turn'.

Help?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2008, 01:31:11 pm »

(...) If you have that one, you can fix it by installing the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package, which can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

Thanks!  Glad you updated the front-page sticky; do you think this link should go there too, in case the thread keeps growing?

Good point. :)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2008, 01:33:36 pm »

Uh, I am lost.

I get the screen with all of the territories and I have no idea what to do.

I press Enter and nothing ever happens.  If I press one of the letters, it flashes that territory and gives me some info.  If I press space while a territory is flashing, it stops flashing.  Enter never does anything whatsoever, but apparently it's supposed to take me to the 'next turn'.

Help?

Well, it's not really much of a /game/ as such, but FWIW...
Pressing enter does take you to the next turn. It's just that, having given no commands, nothing happens except your armies growing.

To attack, you have to first select a territory, then an army, then press enter (I think?), then select a country to attack, then press enter again.. or something.. you'll figure it out.

You'll probably lose your first fight. Press enter a few turns to let your army catch up to your enemies'. Then try again, somewhere else. Eventually, you'll succeed, and have two armies; a 2-on-1 fight means you win.

And that's that. Not much of a game, but just fine for hacking on peripheral DF code. :D

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2008, 01:36:42 pm »

OH!  Gah.  Thanks!  lol
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 147