Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373644 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Howdy Baughn,

I'm using 40d11 with PTTGV5 and it's been marvelous so far. I chose a massive site at 80x70 screen size, GFPS capped at 20, Game FPS capped at 100. It runs at 100 fps nonstop with 7 dwarves and 15ish animals roaming the map.

Intel Core 2 Duo and Nvidia GF7900GTX, 2GB ram.

I am not using partial_print.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

According to diff, there's no change from 40d to 40d11 in the ./raws/objects directory. ./raws/graphics changed because there's of swapping a .bmp for a .png.

(comparing a freshly downloaded copy of 40d and 40d11 for Windows)
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My 'changes' are some stone changes I tried on a 40d9, apparently. What really changed was all in the exe. My fault at that, though, I have around 10 different folders for 40d9 for modding stuff, thought the last one was clean, apparently it's contaminated.

Still, I find it funny that changing the raws (ever so slightly) would cause a ~25 fps increase. By that effect, it would seem that previously dwarves had 12 extremities which the CPU had to calculate every cycle.
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

According to diff, there's no change from 40d to 40d11 in the ./raws/objects directory. ./raws/graphics changed because there's of swapping a .bmp for a .png.

(comparing a freshly downloaded copy of 40d and 40d11 for Windows)

Ah, right you are.
The actual difference is that 40d11 (well, 40d2 and up really) has a fix for the cat-mouth problem, which I'd worked around in the raws in 40d.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile

I have my RAWS and INIT.txt from 40dsomething lols. the internet is no where near where I live and my DF comp is back home so can't give exact version. It runs just fine. I didn't see any obvious changes in the init and it runs.... lols I better go check that out.

Anyways after running the SAME fort in both versions, I got these results.

Fort is a 4-4 start area with a river and a waterfall, chasm, and magma.

Old version bogs down every couple of seconds to calculate flows I think. The result being an average of 30 FPS and a min/max of 1/189

New version runs steadily at 120-140 FPS. Very playable. The keys act a little wierd though and it gets anoying after a while. When you scroll up and left simultaneously it stops scrolling left even after you stop holding up. samething for down and left. Also, when I go to construct anything (only in the <C> menu) sometimes I can't select the material it just grabs the top one. (that's even with key press really long)
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Henrietta

• Bay Watcher
  • watery mouth lambs
    • View Profile

What are the steps involved for using Mike Mayday's graphics set for 40d11?

Sangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is what I did to get mayday's running under 40d9.  I hope it is correct to post this here.  I would assume it would work for d11 also:

- copy the raw/objects directory over to the d11 install.   
 - Copy the graphics from raw/graphics and convert them to png. 
 - Copy the raw/graphics/graphics_mayday.txt. 
 - edit raw/graphics/graphics_mayday.txt and change all references to <file>.bmp to <file>.png
 - remove the raw/graphics example text file and directory
 - Copy the tilesets from data/art and convert them to .png
 - update your data/init/init.txt file to point at the mayday tiles
 - update the data/init/init.txt for any size and settings you want
 - copy data/init/interface.txt and data/init/embark.txt and data/init/world_gen over to data/init

at this point I was able to copy and play one of my previous saves.  I would my working 40d9 to DFFD but I am new here and not sure if the community would frown upon a blatant repack for a development release.  It is also not the currently tested version.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

at this point I was able to copy and play one of my previous saves.  I would my working 40d9 to DFFD but I am new here and not sure if the community would frown upon a blatant repack for a development release.  It is also not the currently tested version.

Repacks are perfectly okay, but yeah, they should be as up-to-date as possible.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Repacks are perfectly okay, but yeah, they should be as up-to-date as possible.
I kind of wish DF had a binary repository, but I'm spoiled on the things. ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry if it already has but could someone put the battlechamps source in a zip to download as git isn't working for me.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Henrietta

• Bay Watcher
  • watery mouth lambs
    • View Profile

This is what I did to get mayday's running under 40d9.  I hope it is correct to post this here.  I would assume it would work for d11 also:

- copy the raw/objects directory over to the d11 install.   
 - Copy the graphics from raw/graphics and convert them to png. 
 - Copy the raw/graphics/graphics_mayday.txt. 
 - edit raw/graphics/graphics_mayday.txt and change all references to <file>.bmp to <file>.png
 - remove the raw/graphics example text file and directory
 - Copy the tilesets from data/art and convert them to .png
 - update your data/init/init.txt file to point at the mayday tiles
 - update the data/init/init.txt for any size and settings you want
 - copy data/init/interface.txt and data/init/embark.txt and data/init/world_gen over to data/init

Great, thanks! Everything works fine now, and I get about 15fps more, which doesn't sound like a whole lot but it really makes a difference to playability.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

I have my RAWS and INIT.txt from 40dsomething lols. the internet is no where near where I live and my DF comp is back home so can't give exact version. It runs just fine. I didn't see any obvious changes in the init and it runs.... lols I better go check that out.
Still not good enough; it got changed again in 40d10.

DF just uses the defaults if it fails to understand anything in init.txt.. that's probably bad.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile

Sorry if it already has but could someone put the battlechamps source in a zip to download as git isn't working for me.

http://rapidshare.com/files/214374925/bc.zip.html

There you go.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Hi Baughn,

40d10 and 40d11 still don't work for me.

(EDIT: I've never tried 40d1-9, due to just recently having time again to play decently, so I don't know if they worked on my laptop)

Could you please, at least, acknowledge my post?

I've posted twice before now and voted as well and get no response at all.
While I'd say it's rather serious, and I'm prolly not the only one that can't run it, since my laptop is pretty standard.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:30:49 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Right, acknowledged. It's easy to miss posts in this thread, you know. :/

It won't be easy to debug, though.. ideally, you'd be a programmer and able to do that yourself, but that's probably... um, could you please check whether 40d9 or 40d2 work for you?

Just replace the "d11" in the URL with d2/d9.

Also, if possible, try the linux version as well.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 147