Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Redeeming the Elven Race...  (Read 5461 times)

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Re: Redeeming the Elven Race...
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 06:47:39 pm »

They can be redeemed only in death.
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 04:32:53 am »

New challenge: Build a fortress using only elves.
For they would be your masters.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 07:56:25 am »

I've never understood why so many players claim to hate elves ... and found some of the more hate-filled posts and lengthy descriptions of torture on racist grounds rather repulsive to be honest, reminiscent of WWI propaganda or something that came later.

But then, us human beings are a vicious bunch; the murder, torturing or maiming of other humans has been a constant throughout our history; so are incest (I'm Austrian, need I mention that 'Kellerkind' / cellar child?), cannibalism, ritual mutilation (such as male and female circumcision, or piercings, etc), mostly because 80% of mankind prefer to believe in ghosts and demons and bearded old men in the sky because reality - life's harsh and dangerous and when you die that's it - is not nice.

... erm, yes, actually I'd be in favor of wiping the humans out :-)

"Das Leben; das heißt: 40 Jahre Haken schlagen, und wenn es hoch kommt - oft kommt es einem hoch! - sind es 45, und wenn es köstlich war, dann war nur 15 Jahre Krieg und bloß drei Mal Inflation."  (Arno Schmidt)

"Life: That's 40 years of ducking and dodging; and if you're lucky (one could just spew) it's 45 years; and if it was fantastic, there was only 15 years of war and only three inflations."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:00:41 am by Samyotix »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 09:33:38 am »

I've never understood why so many players claim to hate elves ... and found some of the more hate-filled posts and lengthy descriptions of torture on racist grounds rather repulsive to be honest, reminiscent of WWI propaganda or something that came later.

But then, us human beings are a vicious bunch; the murder, torturing or maiming of other humans has been a constant throughout our history; so are incest (I'm Austrian, need I mention that 'Kellerkind' / cellar child?), cannibalism, ritual mutilation (such as male and female circumcision, or piercings, etc), mostly because 80% of mankind prefer to believe in ghosts and demons and bearded old men in the sky because reality - life's harsh and dangerous and when you die that's it - is not nice.

"Das Leben; das heißt: 40 Jahre Haken schlagen, und wenn es hoch kommt - oft kommt es einem hoch! - sind es 45, und wenn es köstlich war, dann war nur 15 Jahre Krieg und bloß drei Mal Inflation."  (Arno Schmidt)

"Life: That's 40 years of ducking and dodging; and if you're lucky (one could just spew) it's 45 years; and if it was fantastic, there was only 15 years of war and only three inflations."

I don't know about others, but I'm just joking around when I talk about elves.
But I'm all for the death of the human race.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 12:15:36 pm »

You know the Sci-Fi trope where the aliens decide that humanity is too violent for its own good and has to be wiped out?  I figure that if we ever meet aliens in real life, it's most likely going to be like that.  And yes, I mean that seriously.

As for why people hate elves, I think it's largely exaggeration combined with the imagination that this game tends to attract.  Elves are a PitA who make unreasonable demands as payment for the valuable service of not doing anything useful.  And if you don't like it, you're liable to wind up with dead citizens*.  So, any player would want to remove this annoyance.

Of course, this being the game that practically begs you to do things like build lava-submerged towers out of soap, you know that mere "removal" isn't going to cut it :P

*Well, the Elves might try, at any rate.  They kinda suck at it though, and they aren't likely to bring the seven hundred Elfalisks** that it would take to get through a dozen ☼Iron☼-equipped axedwarves.

**And yes, I AM proud of "Elfalisks", dammit! :P
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 12:40:03 pm »

I like elves. Year after year, they bring me caravans full of cool animals in cages like giant desert scorpions, even after I rob them blind every single time.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 03:43:51 pm »

I think this game motivates people to "remove" creatures that make demands that you have a hard time fulfilling and get angry if you don't.
The great game of Warlocks!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 04:02:44 pm »

I don't hate elves, i just love launching them into the air with a hammer blow and wtaching as they splatter in one oft heir beloved trees, its all good fun  ;D

But basically, i have the same reasons as the others. They make demmands that are sometimes very unreasonable, rarely bring anything useful, and will literally eat your face if they get mad at you.
Anyway, DF elves are very different from your average D&D fantasy elf. Instead of wise, peaceful beings that only have kids now and then, DF elves are promiscuous cannibal savages that will won't tolerate you if you don't live according to their culture.

Also, the only way they can win a war in DF is either by getting lucky shots at range or serious zerg rushing.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 04:05:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure Warhammer elves are bastards too.

"Hey, wood elves, we need to go through your forest to stop a force of terrifying evil from taking over the world and eliminating life as we know it"
"GET OUT OF OUR FOREST! TREEMEN ATTACK!"
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 04:55:45 pm »

"Hey, wood elves, we need to go through your forest to stop a force of terrifying evil from taking over the world and eliminating life as we know it"

Meh, knowing the Warhammer setting, whoever is going off to fight the terrifying evil is really just as bad. Moreso in WH40k, which i think is part of the reason the Tau got so popular fast.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Boogerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 06:51:31 pm »

Can you make elf tallow soap?

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 07:39:03 pm »

Can you make elf tallow soap?
Nope but their totems are only as expensive as a groundhogs, shows how much respect a dwarf should have for an elf.  I see myself as a very liberal Dwarf.  If elves bring me classy animals, they leave with more narrow cavespidersilk underpants than they can poke a bong at.  Nothing but ropereed crap requires the use of the big Cinnibar lever though.  (not to worry kids it just seals the doors for a few months, im helping the elven race through evolution, if you cannot beat up your own camel to survive, you dont deserve to mandate wood quotas to me).
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 05:39:52 am »

Meh, knowing the Warhammer setting, whoever is going off to fight the terrifying evil is really just as bad. Moreso in WH40k, which i think is part of the reason the Tau got so popular fast.
I don't like the tau almost as much as I dislike elves.
I think it's the dorf in me that prefers the great big chaotic mess that sort of should be doing good but ends up eating cats for dinner and executing people because I can and redeeming it with a pathetic reason as opposed the the righteous do-gooder.
That and I like stupidly giant constructions.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 07:16:15 am »

This entire thread is blasphemy.

Elves are the green menace... They need to be stopped... and i'm going to stop them...

Groundhog Day was a good movie.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 08:04:53 pm »

I seriously have never had a problem with elf mandates. What do you guys want all that wood for anyway??

I did read that their narkiness was based on stockpiled wood, not the amount of trees you've cut down - I never have a huge stockpile of wood.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5