Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DON'T MILL WHIP VINES!!!  (Read 4895 times)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DON'T MILL WHIP VINES!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 08:19:26 am »

Ja, and Faerie are [DAMBLOCK-1] and can't make steel or plate armour, which pushes things still further.

Well, maybe we can MAKE steel. The flint weapons are so appealing I've never tried.

Well, I've got four wrestlers sparring with wooden and copper swords to prove themselves worthy of the weapon. There's 2 masterpiece and 2 exceptional flint longswords to use in the meantime.

Our Orcish friends failed to arrive on schedule. That worries me. Hope the game isn't bugged.

EDIT: Incidently, as of summer of year 3, I have 118 bags. :o
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 08:51:56 am by Marlowe »

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 10:26:38 am »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

Somebody (an elite wrestler with no previous sword skills) has picked it up! And is sparring with it! And her name is  Themiyi Chillmortals. I'm concerned. She won't drop it now, of course.

This means the gloves are irreparably off in the barracks. Everyone else keeps their masterwork flint swords, just to keep things even. My bow-wielders will keep on wielding their bows, just so they won't have to spar against those things.

Oh yeah, the Orcs turned up a little late (4 squads. Bowmen, Lashers, Macemen and Swordsmen) and were routed. They killed a watchdonkey and a Zougar, and put a champion in bed with a broken arm. The Swordorc squad didn't even strike a blow before running.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 09:56:12 pm »

My only solution to the milling problem is to stock up a ton of dye plants, then forbid the other millable stuff and go all out milling everything in sight; get several millers, and turn off their hauling jobs.  Starting with few seeds means the first couple times your tons are short, but within a year or two you'll be fine.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 10:43:22 pm »

Milling problem solved by moving all the querns into the sliver barb stockpile. Now I have a people-sparring-with-artifact-sword-they-can't-be-made-to-drop problem.

Oh yes, and a dead orc problem.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 11:37:59 pm »

So an artifact sword is saddening your training effort? Easy, don't let'em train on your faeries, let'em train on the orcs that come every now and then. He's gotta be quite formidable with an artifact weapon equipped.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 05:54:38 pm »

The dead orc problem is best remedied by a magma wash.

Next time, trap them all in cages.  That's a much more efficient way to transport a dead orc and its gear.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 08:34:40 pm »

I don't play with magma. Not worth the iron-poor rocks in comes in.

How is trapping them in cages, which then have to be reloaded, and then emptied, more efficient than just killing them.

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 05:05:07 am »

It's actually simple:

They get trapped:

1 haul job to your animal stockpile from where they were trapped.
1 reload cage trap job.
X haul jobs from your animal stockpile to your gear stockpiles for their loot.

They get killed outside:

1 haul job for their corpse.
X haul jobs from all the way outside to your gear stockpiles inside for their loot.

Basically, the 1 haul job of the cage shaves potentially hundreds of tiles off of the haul jobs for their gear, if you position your stockpiles carefully.
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 09:51:11 pm »

It's actually simple:

They get trapped:

1 haul job to your animal stockpile from where they were trapped.
1 reload cage trap job.
X haul jobs from your animal stockpile to your gear stockpiles for their loot.

They get killed outside:

1 haul job for their corpse.
X haul jobs from all the way outside to your gear stockpiles inside for their loot.

Basically, the 1 haul job of the cage shaves potentially hundreds of tiles off of the haul jobs for their gear, if you position your stockpiles carefully.

But then we have dozens of cages to make, and dozens of traps to reload, and we STILL need to actually get the Orcs killed off, which will require moving the cages AGAIN and attaching mechanisms to then, plus we'll have to clean up the bodies after they've been disposed off. Not to mention any cage trap triggered will be off-line until it's reloaded, unlike my current weapon traps.

In short, a whole STACK of extra jobs, at least one of which (attaching the mechanisms) can be done only by a few skilled Faerie. I don't have time between sieges for this sort of bulldikery.

I really get the idea you're confusing orcs and goblins.

orcs:
1, come in much greater numbers than goblins, especially early in the game. The number of cage traps required to seriously dent them would be prodigious.
2, Don't wear clothing worth recovering. I recover shields, weapons, arrows, and when there's traders around I order some armour items dragged to the depot, but a lot of the stuff I just leave to rot.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 07:50:13 am »

So, what's the problem then?  As you've said: leave them to rot.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2008, 10:20:16 am »

I was being spurious when I spoke of "a dead orc problem". Just meant I had a lot of orc bits lying about. I didn't intend people should start giving me silly advice but once they did I felt I was obliged to tell them why it was silly.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2008, 01:47:05 pm »

I was being spurious when I spoke of "a dead orc problem". Just meant I had a lot of orc bits lying about. I didn't intend people should start giving me silly advice but once they did I felt I was obliged to tell them why it was silly.

This is Dwarf Fortress Marlowe, their is NO problem that doesn't have or require an overcomplicated solution.
Pages: 1 [2]