Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ideas for what to construct next  (Read 1661 times)

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ideas for what to construct next
« on: December 20, 2008, 04:09:22 am »

I'm running out of ideas for what I want to add to my map. Right now, it is in danger of being dangerously spread out, and somehow it feels "empty".
Anyone have any buildings/rooms/structures that they consider useful for a dwarven society?

Here's what I have so far:
Living Quarters (peasants, nobels)
Workshops (all types)
Storage rooms
Farm/Kitchen/Dining Room
Nice Meeting Area
Mausoleums
Barracks/Training Area
Throne Room
Water Tower/Trader Ramp/Entrance Tower
Outside Wall, fully decked out in defenses
Central Tower to connect levels of fortress
Power Station
Central Mechanism Tower
Masterworks/Artifacts Storage Tower
Waterfall
Makeshift execution tower, in a sense

I have planned to build:
Magma Tower to replace outdated magma system
Shrine Rooms to each deity followed
Marketplace for Dwarves to own workshops in (economy)
Bestiary
Obsidian Factory
Colosseum
Jailhouse
Swim Training Pool

What I need are buildings which I can use to add some towers to add z-level flare, and some constructions that I can use to build below the ground on a large scale to add depth to my fortress.
I would appreciate any ideas anyone has. I already have pretty good defenses, and I'm avoiding using any traps/bridges except to gather an occasional enemy for the Colosseum. Other than that, I'm pretty open to ideas, especially if they involve building inside or out of a mountain. Keep in mind I already have most of the Fortress built, so I can't do anything too drastic to my overall plan.

ravanous

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for what to construct next
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 05:51:59 am »

A nice Statue Garden tower, just so your dorfs tantrum spiral on the littlest upset.  That's what you're missing!

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 09:09:56 am »

First I have to question as to how your doing your Colosseum.  Will it have Easy Goblin squad access so your foes stay vicious?  If so then great, you can have a secondary arena tower for your caged bouts.

Imagine if you will, a ten z level high tower, open air, perhaps mostly columnial rather than completely walled around, and with statues on the inside.  then at the top , or near to it, you could have a small suspended arena floor, attached just so, making it structurally sound but with tons of spaces for a hammerdwarf to fling foes off.  that would make a fitting addition to any fort I dare say.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 09:14:47 am »

build a highway of a sort....a road above and on the ground. will do good for traveling. make it inclosed and your dwarves can even move around during seiges

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 10:09:14 am »

A statue garden it is! Forgot about that feature, awesome.

First I have to question as to how your doing your Colosseum.  Will it have Easy Goblin squad access so your foes stay vicious?  If so then great, you can have a secondary arena tower for your caged bouts.

Imagine if you will, a ten z level high tower, open air, perhaps mostly columnial rather than completely walled around, and with statues on the inside.  then at the top , or near to it, you could have a small suspended arena floor, attached just so, making it structurally sound but with tons of spaces for a hammerdwarf to fling foes off.  that would make a fitting addition to any fort I dare say.

That's actually a pretty awesome idea for the colosseum. I'll certainly steal that idea, though it may reside within the depths of my fortress - perhaps suspended over a pit of magma, or simply a giant cavern.

build a highway of a sort....a road above and on the ground. will do good for traveling. make it inclosed and your dwarves can even move around during seiges

I do have a few current main roadways throughout my fortress, but I can certainly improve upon them to make them safer against roaming bands of crossbow goblins.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 11:07:45 am »

A giant magmafall.
Better than that, re-create the old-style magma river.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 04:08:45 am »

That's actually a pretty awesome idea for the colosseum. I'll certainly steal that idea, though it may reside within the depths of my fortress - perhaps suspended over a pit of magma, or simply a giant cavern.

Happy to be of service. 
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 01:02:41 pm »

Series of towers connected to the main wall, so dwarves can overlook the world as befits their race.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 03:38:09 pm »

A 20 z-level tall, lava-submerged perpetual motion machine made entirely out of soap.  Bonus points if it's an integral part of your noble-murdering governmental oversight system.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 09:45:04 pm »

Pick any previous megaproject mentioned in other threads, but don't build it out of blocks. Instead rig up complex channels of magma and water to the building site and make it out of obsidian. Then carve out/engrave the whole thing when it's done.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 05:39:48 am »

find a way to make mobile stockpiles...

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 07:02:01 am »

I'd say, if you have the resources, build a Dark Obsidian Tower of Doom. dedicate the top floor as a shrine to Armok, so that his will can be lorded over the filthy serfs. Make haste, afore they learn how to read.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 09:44:57 am »

Excellent, I can give a shot at most of these.
Not sure about the perpetual motion machine, as I'm avoiding exploits, but lava-submerged tower? Sure. I'll just have to find a secondary use for it. Maybe part of the Armok Shrine of Death. We'll see what I can do with the soap, I'll start building it up so I have options.
As for mobile stockpiles, I have a few ideas. It would be a tad messy though, but awesome. Unfortunately, it will only work for new parts of the fortress I build, as what I currently have is too developed to fit in anything like that.
As for watch towers, I should be able to manage those. I think I have enough room left around my walls to fit them in.
Thanks for the inputs

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 02:44:42 pm »

You can build the auto butcher shop I designed a while back. If you do so, remember, it only works with untamed animals.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 03:02:01 pm »

Dwarvern rocket pad.

Using water ballistics and bridges, make an Apollo spacecraft which uses pressurised water to blast off of the ground while disconnecting the spaceship. It may fail horribly, but it will be worth it.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.
Pages: [1] 2