Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Sits around amazed - Raw for EYE COLORS  (Read 3705 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Sits around amazed - Raw for EYE COLORS
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 03:44:45 am »

Yeah, the *almost-trolling* guy was picking the eye color thingie... While it's a minor part of a huge redesign of creatures. The ability to have different sizes for a creature in different age, the ability to have various layers, castes and such is a great improvement. So don't try to artificially be angered by something which is a small part of a huge thing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 09:09:17 am »

While their is indeed a willingness to re-write code and I wasn't trying to imply that Toady doesn't re-write code when necessary I was mostly trying to refute G-flex who clearly seems to think code should never be re-written.

But Toady dose follow a waterfall style of implementing sub-systems in massive 'Arcs' and critical things like UI are pushed literally YEARS down the line under this mentality.  That's what I consider water fall, its especially bad when the feature creep is clearly faster then the actual development, DF is like 4 years old and at this rate presentation will never be reached.  If your going to have a 'never ending development' model then it needs to be developed holistically with playability maximized at all times.

Toady is coding like that. Every little details are imortant, yes even eye colors. Diversity = Enhanced gameplay = FUN!  ;)
Also, since you are talking about the presentation arc..:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=1709.msg24626#msg24626
"I'm not sure I'm going to pin myself to an Arc again, including the Presentation Arc, since I don't like doing the same thing for so long, but there will be interface improvements and tutorials coming after I get the basic Army Arc releases up, in some form or another..."
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 09:11:39 am by Tormy »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 12:22:05 pm »

The important thing to realize is that what you do in Fortress mode or Adventurer mode isn't important. What is important is what you can do and what happens.

Currently, no one gives a crap about their dwarves, except maybe the legendaries and champions. Individualizing them is the biggest way to help the player connect with them.

Plus, think of the diplomacy. Dwarfy McKington loves the color amber, yet hates all of the ambassadors the humans send. Right before war between the humans and dwarves breaks out, a human ambassador with amber eyes shows up for shows up for one final try. Amazingly, the King sees the ambassador and showers him in gifts. Then, they all gang up and kill the elves :D
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2008, 01:19:28 pm »

Why is everyone going all googly eyes over eye colors? Honestly when I see these many replies I can only imagine a bunch of coders loosing it all over their keyboards.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2008, 01:35:30 pm »

Eye color has implications that go beyond just eye color. If something has been detailed to the point where appearances down to that level are considered, in a game with no graphical ability to represent it, then it speaks to a level of detail above and beyond usual. ... Beyond quality, if you will.

With all of the things confirmed for modders to mod in this release, I am finally in a position to fully adapt the fantasy world I have been working on with other people into DF. Which is something I have been waiting to do for awhile. (sans magic, though I am content to wait for that for awhile.)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2008, 01:45:33 pm »

Eye color has implications that go beyond just eye color. If something has been detailed to the point where appearances down to that level are considered, in a game with no graphical ability to represent it, then it speaks to a level of detail above and beyond usual. ... Beyond quality, if you will.

With all of the things confirmed for modders to mod in this release, I am finally in a position to fully adapt the fantasy world I have been working on with other people into DF. Which is something I have been waiting to do for awhile. (sans magic, though I am content to wait for that for awhile.)

Unless this affects the " " That goblins, and kobolds have than I will be impressed.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2008, 01:47:40 pm »

Unless this affects the " " That goblins, and kobolds have than I will be impressed.
That is part of the creatures raw and already easily editable to any color or symbol. I don't think that will be affected by this.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2008, 01:54:58 pm »

That is part of the creatures raw and already easily editable to any color or symbol. I don't think that will be affected by this.

Than I'm unimpressed, if this were ADOM, and I had a dwarf with brown eyes, and a room full of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, than I would be happy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2008, 02:17:23 pm »

This is Dwarf Fortress, and you're complaining that something isn't explicitly represented in the graphics? If you don't care about anything in DF that you can see just by looking at the screen and not observing/reading text, then you mustn't care about many things in DF.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2008, 02:38:10 pm »

As much as raws for eyes matter, (not so much) there are more cooler things/important than eye color.

If a sneaking animal with brown eyes were better at sneaking in a brown environment than it would somewhat cool, and marginally helpful. As far as DF has come it's not important in my book or the gameplay itself. Than again I'm not the one making DF so Toady can decide whether or not I'm being an asshat or just telling the truth.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2008, 02:42:15 pm »

Just in case you don't know: the eye GLOW in the darkness is affected by the special eye structure and such and it can be different from the "eye color" on the light. So you PHAIL in this case.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2008, 04:06:32 pm »

Either way it still doesn't work to get me to like eye color, you super context descriptive players can go, and coo over this for all I care don't care about.

And with that I'm spent, who knows maybe eye color will be something to write about in later days.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2008, 04:28:51 pm »

As much as raws for eyes matter, (not so much) there are more cooler things/important than eye color.

Yes, which is why he's working on more things. The reason people are going nuts about a small detail is because it's a good example of HOW detailed the game is/is getting.

Also, things like eye color might matter for some things like dwarven aesthetic preferences.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2008, 06:29:35 pm »

While I think that the eye color inclusion is a waste of time and I don't care for it, let me ask you people something; How long do you think it actually took to implement?

All it would have taken are some descriptive strings related to the colours as dictated by the raws. A waste of time it may be, but I hardly think it's a factor related to the developement progress.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2008, 06:36:37 pm »

And if it brings more interest to the game from people into crazy details, it's timw well spent.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4