Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The time has come  (Read 4558 times)

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The time has come
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 12:48:19 am »

I'll take on the fabled Candyland mod proposal, starting with Sweet Pod Syrup Men.  Toady mention that to make things like Magmaman work, it might need an intangible, perfectly thin outer-layer to hold the fluid body together.

Given that in the raws magma is hot rock, would they be able to survive in colder climates? I could imagine the material simply turning into rock without any bad side effects. It's not as if there's any sort of tag that says they die upon liquidization.

Toady's comment also implies that internal liquid can be contained if an outer layer is solid, which is fairly obvious if you actually considered it, but from a programming perspective I didn't know he would have bothered.

Orange Drink

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 02:29:07 am »

since all the colors in the game look like they are going to be eye colours, does this mean that people will have burnt sienna-coloured eyes? or am i reading it wrong?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 02:50:05 am »

I'm pretty sure castes just just special cases for job titles, not any actual labor allowance/restriction.  It's never bothered me anyway.

However, we do have the final official word on the facial hair of dwarven women.  It only takes two brackets to turn the on, but female beards are off in Toady's default.

I'm guilty of seeing my she-dwarves as beardless, thanks to my WoW days. Unfortunately, nobody ever played them, so they were rarer than sensibly-dressed elves.

The caste system also allows reproductive distinctions, as well as sub-species; with a bit of jury-rigging, it might be possible to use the caste system to have groups of different creatures under a single creature entry, leading to wolf packs lead by dire wolves or werewolves.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 05:46:43 am »

Or have the red-headed dwarves as a special caste :). Long live irish dwarves xD.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 11:02:39 am »

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this yet?  I made them in current dwarf fortress but they werent satisfactory to me.

Ghosts
Creatures made of a materiel that is gaseous at normal temperatures.  Imagine! A creature that is impossible to kill by normal means!  It could even be possible for the ghost's attack to be unable to do physical damage back too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:04:22 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 11:41:22 am »

A few issues here: "passes through" may be not defined in the raws. I mean, as Toady mentioned in the thread, for example we have a very sharp blade made of steel and a very funky ghost made of gas. The steel cuts "gas" material without any problem, so we have a VERY dead ghost with one blow. To allow it to "keep form" there should be some special mechanics involved, like extreme regeneration for example which allows the gas to come back to it's original state. Without this mechanics (which are possible not added in the next release) every thing made of gas and other weak materials is a one-hit-kill.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 11:56:40 am »

I know he's loosely mentioned making Magma Men as liquid on the inside with an intangible "skin" layer that holds them together. If this were to cause them to pop and spread magma everywhere, it'd be pretty awesome.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 09:14:26 pm »

Extreme enemies: A civ of new 'magma blobs'. Max pop numbers, site numbers, quick growers, NO_DRINK, _NO_BREATHE, NO_EAT. They win by just sending in alot of guys to outnumber the enemy. If a guy dies, no problem. He just spreads around magma as a suicide bomb. Bonus points to give them skin that gets damaged by lava, so if a single one dies the whole area nearby will just be coated in magma from the collective deaths.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2008, 06:20:33 pm »

So I was looking into the new raws some more.

I was slightly daunted - at the moment I'm merely adding onto humanoid bodies much like I did my samurai mod - but obviously I don't know how well things are working out because I can't test it until the new version is released. ah well.

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 08:40:51 pm »

Well, this is awesome, I don't think that robots are possible yet :( oh well.
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 08:46:42 pm »

Well, this is awesome, I don't think that robots are possible yet :( oh well.

Depends on what you want from a robot.  You won't be able to make them obey the Three Laws, but you could make some pretty good robot bodies that bleed hydraulic fluid or whatever. 

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 10:45:04 pm »

Ièm curious if (venom) Extracts now get injected literally as a layer.
This woul dbe awesome, but I have doubts. hope abounds, however, Toady always surpasses expectations, from what Iève seen.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 05:50:48 am »

^^^ As a tissue layer?  What would that even mean?  If anything, they probably become part of the creature's blood or something.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 08:26:46 am »

^^^ As a tissue layer?  What would that even mean?  If anything, they probably become part of the creature's blood or something.

Not that I think it will actually pan out this way, this time, there are tissue layers, diff. materials can ''exist'' inside the body now. If it actually EXISTS instead of just having its effect ``applied``, exists inside the dwarf, where it can light up and burn!, then this is a recipe for Awesome.
  get stealth-bitten by the DOOM beetle vemin and suddenly your dwarf spontaneously combusts.
then trappers and kittens rejoice at tehir second chance to live.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 03:06:56 pm »

Not that I think it will actually pan out this way, this time, there are tissue layers, diff. materials can ''exist'' inside the body now. If it actually EXISTS instead of just having its effect ``applied``, exists inside the dwarf, where it can light up and burn!, then this is a recipe for Awesome.
  get stealth-bitten by the DOOM beetle vemin and suddenly your dwarf spontaneously combusts.
then trappers and kittens rejoice at tehir second chance to live.

Behold:

>>> Will the venom injection be simulated(As in, it will just check the venom type and apply whatever affect it's been given) or will the venom actually enter the victim's body?  If I set the temperature of the venom to 10,000 degrees, will the bitten person catch on fire?

The venom in the current version are already added to the creature and remain there for whatever the duration is, but it doesn't check temps on them.  I'm hoping to do that this time around so that fire snakes can be proper and the "liquid fire" extract can be more wholesomely amusing when dwarves are bitten.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4