Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The time has come  (Read 4548 times)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The time has come
« on: December 19, 2008, 12:28:18 pm »

We now have samples of new raws, people!  We must start designing the populations of new worlds.  Post either projects you'd like to see or projects that you yourself are working on.  Once we get a bunch of these together, we can look at them and see if there are any common components that will make everything easier later on.  If we make a library here of different tissue layers and thoracic cavity contents, then people don't have to do that later.

The sample raws are here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/spoilers/raws-12-18-08/index.html

Projects completed:
None, yet

Ideas:
Each entry is associated with a name of a forum member who has expressed interest in working on the project, where applicable.
Alien Xenomorph - Granite26 - (interesting due to dimorphism, acid, and nested organs)
Battle Suited Cyborg - KaelGotDwarves - (interesting due to layering of materials)
Cactus Creature - Warlord255 - (interesting due to nonstandard structure of plants)
Candy-Land Creatures - Aqizzar - lots of variety here (probably going to include a number of neat prefstring entries)
Ghosts (is this even possible?)
Giant ants - lastofthelight - (interesting due to actual castes as well as queen/drone social structure)
Magma-blob Civilization (wars are fun with things that, when they die, kill everything around them)
Naturally Tough Dragons - KaelGotDwarves - (interesting due to possible material selection for tissues)
Lions - LumenPlacidum - (interesting due to gender dimorphism and manes)
Proteins - Footkerchief - (interesting due to a wide variety of possibilities; with the color systems and varied sizes and proportions, there can be a very great deal of mischief done)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 11:11:06 pm by LumenPlacidum »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: The time has come
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 01:22:52 pm »

Ho-leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee shit.

._. This will certainly make things a lot harder and more detailed.

I'll try deciphering it and get cracking on Cactaur, for the purposes of exploring nonstandard body types; their body type aligns more to that of a hollow gourd than a mammalian creature.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 01:26:03 pm »

I'll join in eventually, but I think I'll wait until Toady gets more of the creatures moved over to the new format. I think a lot of stuff is going to get tweaked between now and release, and I don't want to have to unlearn a bunch of stuff that no longer works.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 02:48:31 pm »

I'll probably spend some time working on AVP stuff, but no promises

Aliens with chittin and icky blood (and mouth in mouth!!!), serious dimorphism, etc

Predators (ok, not so interesting, really)

Terminators (Adamant endoskeleton over living tissue.  [NO_SLEEP], [NO_TIRE], [NO_STOP])

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 03:07:24 pm »

I am considering making some kind of bizarre Protein Fortress where proteins (dwarves) band together to operate a cell (fortress), with organelle workshops and amoeba megabeasts and swarms of invading viruses and bacterial dark fortresses and soldiers labeled as "antibodies" and so on.  It would have to involve exe-hacking to replace various strings, and it would also be a totally deranged undertaking.  It's premature for me to even be talking about it really, I still need to consult a bio major friend about a bunch of things.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 03:13:33 pm »

Some notes; will add more as I read.

BODIES: These seem to have very few changes other than a [CATEGORY] tag. Use unknown. New specifics such as the skull, cheeks, eyelids, etc. added.

BODY DETAIL PLANS: Similar to BODY groupings, these can be all-inclusive or partial; one change of note is that there are seperate full plans for Vertebrate and Exoskeleton creatures.

MATERIAL TEMPLATES: In addition to metal and wood properties, material templates exist for each organ; this could be used to make new organs with material templates that make them flammable, or something. There's also the EDIBLE_VERMIN and EDIBLE_COOKED entries, which could lead to some interesting behaviours such as brain-eating.

TISSUES: Of particular note, the first thing I noticed was the Vascular and Pain Receptors numbers. Vascular seems to imply how much an injury to the part is worth (Skin is 1, heart is 10) for the purposes of causing death, possibly from bleeding, while Pain Receptors likely counts out pain; the only value used is 5 or the absence of the tag (as on Horn and Nerve parts), but it could allow us to make weak points that inflict more pain, or new tissue types that are more resistant, such as dragon hide.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:27:38 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 03:39:44 pm »

I was already planning for improved dragons and mechs/space marines in battle suits even before the new raws were released, and was going to make a thread similar to this.

so yes, count me in :)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 05:01:03 pm »

My god, I think I'm tearing up....

This is even more detailed than I imagined it... I'm supposed to proctor people for a test but, but, I must study the raws more...can't pull away.

The new things I can do with this look amazing.  When this release happens I think I'm going to be spending 3 or 4 days alone in a dark computer room perfecting the 4th ground up Dracon redesign.

EDIT: Wonder if proper elongated mouths are possible now... you know, like what dragons, wolves, lions and whatnot have.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:08:41 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 09:39:20 pm »

I added all those possibilities.  I'll take a look around for others.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 09:48:20 pm »

I'm currently working on getting the Legendary Lands mod overhauled and ready for it.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 10:11:57 pm »

I am considering making some kind of bizarre Protein Fortress where proteins (dwarves) band together to operate a cell (fortress), with organelle workshops and amoeba megabeasts and swarms of invading viruses and bacterial dark fortresses and soldiers labeled as "antibodies" and so on.  It would have to involve exe-hacking to replace various strings, and it would also be a totally deranged undertaking.  It's premature for me to even be talking about it really, I still need to consult a bio major friend about a bunch of things.

This is an awesome idea.  Do this.  We command it!

Actually trying to make anything is an iffy process right now, because the raws will almost certainly change by the final release.  Toady is still working on wounding, so you've got at least that to worry about.

That said, holy fuck, creatures raws.  Where to begin, where to begin...

I'll take on the fabled Candyland mod proposal, starting with Sweet Pod Syrup Men.  Toady mention that to make things like Magmaman work, it might need an intangible, perfectly thin outer-layer to hold the fluid body together.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

bepo5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 10:23:26 pm »

.....   *passes out from joy.* Wow. This made my week.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 11:58:51 pm »

So wait... with castes... we can exclude women from the militiary and the furnaces, and exclude men from weaving, cooking, and cleaning? Or is the labor still available, just the name changes? Because then it could be a really good simulator of medeival culture in a fantasy setting. Sexism ahoy!
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 12:02:47 am »

I'm pretty sure castes just just special cases for job titles, not any actual labor allowance/restriction.  It's never bothered me anyway.

However, we do have the final official word on the facial hair of dwarven women.  It only takes two brackets to turn the on, but female beards are off in Toady's default.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 12:12:56 am »

Awww... they're goes my bared down-realistic humie fort. I think, if I can work on my modding skill a bit beforehand, that I'm going to try making an enemy that can fly, breathe fire, have a beard, fights via extremely low damage slaps, and moves at triple the speed of normal creatures. It could swoop in, breathe out a gout of flame upon your aboveground plains, and swoop off before your men can reach him. Then he can land in behind you, smack around some people and give out light wounds, then incinerate some buildings and attackers, before just flying out again.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4