Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ELVES! >:O  (Read 1852 times)

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
ELVES! >:O
« on: December 19, 2008, 10:02:11 am »

Yes, it's those sapient-eaters we all love to hate.  Their latest atrocity?  Failing to contribute to my defense and trade setups.

The first year they arrived, they brought a caged alligator.  "Okay, cool." I thought, bought it, and let the thing loose to chum about with my kittens and chickens and babies.

The NEXT year, they brought another one. "Awesome!" thinks I, buying it, letting it loose, and, with elation, realizing they're a mixed-sex pair.  So they get chained up in my corral, and visions of handbags, boots, and macerated goblins begin dancing in my head.

Cut to two years later.  No hatchlings yet and I'm starting to be slightly concerned.  The wiki says they DO mate, but do they perhaps have an inordinately long gestation period?  My married couple's popped out three kids since they arrived.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Serg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ELVES! >:O
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 10:43:05 am »

I dunno about you, but I make sure to fix my caged, highly dangerous creatures in such a way that they respect my dominance as I wave their frail, severed pieces of reproductive organdry in their face.

In the RAW though, it says [CHILD:1] what ever that means.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:46:49 am »

child:1 means that they'll have one child when they mate. IN addition, caged animals wont' mate. they will have childred if they mated BEFORE they were caged, but not afterward. you'll have to let them loose in a pit and then use a trap to recapture them.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 08:03:15 am »

child:1 means that they'll have one child when they mate. IN addition, caged animals wont' mate. they will have childred if they mated BEFORE they were caged, but not afterward. you'll have to let them loose in a pit and then use a trap to recapture them.
Can't you tame them, and let some dwarf have some kickass pets?
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 10:46:16 am »

So the wiki is outdated/wrong?  ??? It says:

CHILD -> Age at which a child becomes an adult. Example: [CHILD:12]

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 10:48:39 am »

To quote some movie I don't remember:

"You brought me queer giraffe!" *Pit of doom!*

But yes, having them tied to ropes would work best for this setup.

Also, best way to use aquatic creatures is to create a lagoon out of your pit under the drawbridges. Not the moat, the death pit. Somthing a bit more appeasing about having enemies dropped into a lagoon filled with horrible aquatic creatures stalking them then unknown horrors in the moat being torn apart by ranged weapons.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 10:50:26 am by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 03:08:59 pm »

oh, maybe i'm COMPLETELY Off the wall wrong, then.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 05:17:15 pm »

oh, maybe i'm COMPLETELY Off the wall wrong, then.

I don't know...I am kinda confused now also..perhaps some experienced modders can give us a proper answer.  ;D

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 05:50:32 pm »

Tormy is right. The number after [CHILD: and [BABY: is the age it grows to the next stage. So alligator hatchlings grow into adults after one year. The number of young is covered by [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] which is what most humanoids have and makes it so they'll mostly have one baby at a time.

As to your problem, try not tying them up first. The impression i got from people talking about it is that tied up animals don't mate, but will give birth if already preggers. So leave them untied for a couple dwarf years and see if that helps.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 05:57:03 pm »

For breeding, I tend to create a menagerie, which is a cage closed off by two doors, with a butcher's shop and a tannery in the room. I simply jam everything in the cage, then set the doors to be unpassable for pets. Every so often, I tag a few for slaughter and it gets done right there and then.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 06:48:58 pm »

Tormy is right. The number after [CHILD: and [BABY: is the age it grows to the next stage. So alligator hatchlings grow into adults after one year. The number of young is covered by [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] which is what most humanoids have and makes it so they'll mostly have one baby at a time.

As to your problem, try not tying them up first. The impression i got from people talking about it is that tied up animals don't mate, but will give birth if already preggers. So leave them untied for a couple dwarf years and see if that helps.

Thanks for clearing it up.  :)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 07:05:57 am »

Thanks for clearing it up.  :)

Indeed. thank you.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 02:29:54 am »

I'll try it, but I doubt that's the issue. My roped-up camels, horses, cows, and dogs are littering like some insane super-littering... guy.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 02:56:44 am »

I'll try it, but I doubt that's the issue. My roped-up camels, horses, cows, and dogs are littering like some insane super-littering... guy.

Someone should tell them littering is against the law, (yes i know puns arn't funny), oh wait, dwarves don't care.
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 09:45:29 am »

The number of young is covered by [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] which is what most humanoids have and makes it so they'll mostly have one baby at a time.

There is also the oft-overlooked LITTERSIZE:min:max tag.  I still don't know if MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE forces the minimum or forces one child.
Pages: [1] 2