Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Different bridge types  (Read 2044 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Different bridge types
« on: August 25, 2007, 01:39:00 pm »

It doesn't matter much in the current version where there is no depth and no wide obstacles to cross with a bridge, but later there may be a need for different bridge types.

We know it from Sim City and Transport Tycoon - different bridge types have different strengths and weaknesses meaning sometimes you can pick and choose, sometimes there's only one or a few bridge types possible.

In addition, some bridges can only be made out of some materials. There's a reason the Golden Gate bridge wasn't built from stone, for example. Odds are it wouldn't have looked quite as slender if it had been, either.

I imagine weaker bridges (either weak designs or weak materials) would be susceptible to funny little eccentricies such as getting swept away in the spring flood or getting destroyed by cave-ins (even if no falling material hits the bridge, the tremors may damage it) or even collapsing under heavily laden trade carts (perhaps by design! "oops")

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Different bridge types
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

That would be a nice addition for Adv mode too. When, for instance, you want the player to leave his full plate behind just to enter your fortress and reap the riches inside.

Bridge resistance should also be influenced by local temperature. Like when you don't want fire creatures to get inside your fortress, bridges would melt under their feet and send them plummeting straight into a river.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 03:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Istrian:
<STRONG>That would be a nice addition for Adv mode too. When, for instance, you want the player to leave his full plate behind just to enter your fortress and reap the riches inside.

Bridge resistance should also be influenced by local temperature. Like when you don't want fire creatures to get inside your fortress, bridges would melt under their feet and send them plummeting straight into a river.</STRONG>

Balsawood bridges come to mind.   :D

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »

Rope bridges anyone?  ;)
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 02:16:00 am »

Rope bridges aren't actually quite as bad as people think. The real problem with rope bridges is ROT.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 03:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Reign on your Parade:
<STRONG> The real problem with rope bridges is ROT.</STRONG>

It's not a problem it's a feature.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:54:00 am »

Personally I think a tall suspension bridge across a lava river or chasm would be pretty awe-inspiring.

It would be interesting to do multi-storied bridges, like the type you see in cities a lot, where road traffic runs on the above deck and there's a train deck in the trusswork beneath. Not that we have trains in DF (yet!) but it would be a good spot for utilities such as aqueducts and hypothetically things like belts and axles for power transmission and mechanisms.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 11:23:00 am »

Multidecked bridges are already in the new version.

Bridges of different materials are already in THIS version, although having different weight supports isn't in yet, and I'm not sure if wood bridges can catch fire yet.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 01:04:00 pm »

Different materials is one thing, different types of bridges is another. So far we haven't had to bridge any greater distances or depths, and material strength isn't in, so there's no need yet for different bridge types or materials, but that's one thing I feel ought to change.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 12:41:00 am »

rope bridges would be interesting. Chain bridges too, there are some chains in a mountain in WoW that are big enough to ride a horse on. They seem to be carved out of stone.

Would be a good defensive mechanism because it can simply be lowered and become too steep to traverse. Could also be lowered into magma or another dangerous liquid.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?