Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Art Request  (Read 1185 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Art Request
« on: December 17, 2008, 01:54:33 pm »

Hello,

I'd like to get some artists renditions of to races in my mod. Mostly because I like seeing different people's visions of my stuff.

Anyway, here are the descriptions of the non-standard races I'm using.

High Elves - Noble and Wise, the high elves are a little more similar to Humans then their woodland cousins, living in cities and using metal weapons and armor. They are known for forging weapons of great beauty and power. They will accept items made of wood, but still hold life in high regard. Vision: Pretty standard High fantasy/Tolkeinesque. They send to use swords, spears, and bows and wear plate armor

Chaos Dwarves - A twisted branch of dwarves dedicated to dark gods. They have no honor, black souls, and foul tempers. Otherwise, identical to normal dwarves. Vision: Heavy on the bone/leather crafts and totems. Also, probably even more mismatched armor then usual DF dwarves (as in, no player to force them to match)

Hobgoblins - A cruel but noble race, the Hobgoblins have more honor then their smaller cousins. They do not hold with the thieving ways of goblins, and will not approach an enemy until it is rich enough to be worthwhile attacking. When they come, however, it is in force. Vision: They wear Steel Lamellar armor and primarily use swords. I always see them as somewhat oriental looking, although Balathustrius' picture is still quite awesome

Bugbears - Large, hairy, and brutish, they are unskilled in metalworking. As such, they attempt to take what they cannot make themselves. They are found in the deep forests of the world. Vision: Tall, broad, and using crude copper weapons. Somewhat bearlike features.

Dyansauri - A race of Savage saurian warriors who live to fight and die in battle. They do not sneak, they do not steal, and they will attack as soon as they know of your existence. Vision: Pretty much imagine Velociraptors that are a little more upright and use blood red Crystal armor and weapons.

Sand Raiders - A mysterious race of robed humanoids that lives in the deserts of the world. They frequently raid surrounding settlements. They are very stealthy, and even their sieges are done in stealth. Vision: Kind of a cross between your usual arabian look and the Sand People from star wars. They tend to keep their faces covered when in combat.

Frost Giants - Twice as large as a dwarf, and with hearts as cold as the glaciers they live on. Frost giants use no bows, and have no use for thieves. Vision: Very nordic looking (of course). Very into big axes and maces, with very long beards and white hair.

Silver Xelics - A strange race of Insectoids, these creatures live in the wetlands of the world. While at peace with the world, like elves, they do not seem to mind other races use of wood and animals. Vision: They appear as somewhat humanoid beetles with bright silver carapaces. They should have a somewhat passive appearance.

Violet Xelics - Evil kindred to the Silver Xelics, the Violets ones make dark fortresses within the swamps of the world. They use no armor, nor do they need it. Vison: They appear as somewhat humanoid beetles with carapaces in many shades of purple. They like to use flamberge (wavy) blades, and tend to have 2 or 3 shields. They should also be more menacing looking then the Silver Xelics

Vamarii - A race of ice-dwelling humanoids, they live off of the land and sea. When the snows melt, they bring wagonloads of goods to trade for dwarven crafts, metals, and weapons. They appear much like humanoid arctic foxes, with large ears. They live in palaces that they coat in intricately carved and shaped ice. Vision: They're a race of traders, so I always see them as being well dressed and bejeweled.

Zephyrs - a mountain dwelling race of intelligent rodents. They're thieves like Kobalds, and usually killed for the vermin they are. Vision: Hairy, scruffy, they steal pretty much because they're attracted to shiny objects and food.

Jawas - a strange desert dwelling race. They sometimes sneak into the settlements of other races to steal things, or perhaps just cause a bit of mischief... (Ok, we all know what jawas look like...but I'm fond of the odd things for some reason.)

EDIT: Added in some more descriptive paragraphs to fit what I've got in the mod a bit better.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:48:26 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
Re: Art Request
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 05:15:19 pm »

Here's a short sketch I doodled to practice my digi skills.  It's really crappy and I'm too lazy to finish it, but I thought of it when I read your description of hobgoblins.  Being larger than a normal goblin, he's wearing scavenged human armor.

You have struck Microcline!

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 05:28:08 pm »

That, sir, is not crappy. Not by a considerable amount. I feel compelled to draw something of my own.

EDIT: Said drawing, that I shall or perhaps shall not make depending on how quickly I can repair my "tablet," will certainly show you the meaning of crappy.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 05:29:50 pm by Reasonableman »
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 05:34:32 pm »

Here's a short sketch I doodled to practice my digi skills.  It's really crappy and I'm too lazy to finish it, but I thought of it when I read your description of hobgoblins.  Being larger than a normal goblin, he's wearing scavenged human armor.

<image>

I hope I'm not asking too much, but would you consider putting together a little tutorial on how your "crappy" sketch was done?  I imagine there are at least a few people on this forum who wouldn't mind a quick lecture on the finer points of digital art (myself definately included).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:35:30 pm »

Wow, that's really nice! Thanks!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:01:25 pm »

Reasonableman, Heavy Flak, Mephansteras:  Thanks very much!

Heavy Flak, I'm flattered by the request; yeah, I'll put something up here shortly.  I didn't save the steps for the hobgoblin, so I'll have to make something new.  Hopefully it will be better.  I should warn you, though, that I'm still pretty new to PS painting, so my tutorial might be pretty lame.   :)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 12:53:32 am »

I drew an(a?) high elf.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 02:15:46 am »

I just doodled up a Dyansauri in GIMP because my scanner has migrated. Using a mouse to draw is hard.

Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 03:14:04 am »

The creature itself needs shading IMO, other than that Excellent.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 03:45:09 am »

Another quicky.  This time, a Chaos Dwarf.  Blood for the Blood God!

And the process, as promised:

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 10:20:42 am »

These are excellent images Balathustrius!  8)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 11:15:16 am »

Awesome! Looking forward to more of these.  :D
Come play Mafia with us!

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 11:25:40 pm »

Thank you so much Balathustrius!  I'm away on vacation with really sporadic connectivity, but as soon as I get back home I'm going to definately use this as reference.  Great second picture, by the way!  Absolutely stunning

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 11:49:10 pm »

I added in some more descriptive paragraphs of my vision for the races. Mostly to fit some of the civ entry stuff in the mod itself.
Come play Mafia with us!

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 05:22:58 pm »

I drew an(a?) high elf.

I have never before shot coffee out of my nose.

I cannot possibly explain how much that hurt.