Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Project: Orbstone  (Read 1687 times)

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
Project: Orbstone
« on: December 17, 2008, 09:54:20 am »

I finally decided to work on a Mod project of my own.

However I have come across some problems in translating what I have on paper to effective DF 'code'.

1) My Neo-Orcs (not the name I used) eschew armor and do not use bows or crossbows, they are also strictly above ground. Aside from giving them a ridiculous DAMBLOCK number, how can I make sure at least a few survive to the present day? The elves have taken a liking to destroying them.

At present..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I understand that I need to re-work some biome webs for this lot and possibly add some CIV tags to get them to be a bit less like goblins and more like the warlike, noble savage type deal they are supposed to be.

I am still working on this lot before I go nuts making more changes, I am simply writing down what I want to do after these foks are sorted.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 09:58:52 am by Old-Man-Gator »

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project: Orbstone
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:44:12 am »

Up their size and speed a bit? There really isn't much you can do on a personal level to improve the survivability of non-armored stuff.

You could make the race more likely to survive by shear numbers (zergling style) by giving them a high birthrate, a large number of starting civs, and a huge maximum population at each site.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:18:35 am »

take out critical organs so that the critical hits from bows don't hurt as much?

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:52:06 am »

All right.. I think I might help them out a bit by giving them throwing weapons of some cunning kind.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 11:56:03 am »

THIS IS A MISTAKE THAT A LOT OF NEW MODDERS MAKE. YOU MUST MAKE SURE THAT THERE ARE NO LOWERCASE LETTERS IN ANY TAGS. THE GAME IS CASE SENSITIVE, AND WILL IGNORE TAGS THAT IT DOES NOT UNDERSTAND.

ALSO, DON'T FORGET TO LOOK INTO THE ERROR LOG AND REJECT LOG. BOTH OF THESE CAN HAVE USEFUL INFORMATION.

ABOUT YOUR SPECIFIC QUESTION: THERE ARE A FEW THINGS THAT SEEM TO BE EFFECTIVE FOR WORLDGEN WAR SURVIVAL:
-NO MAX AGE (OLD, EXPERIENCED TROOPS DON'T DIE.)
-SIZE (PERHAPS THE MOST DIRECT CONTROL- BIG BEINGS HAVE HUGE ADVANTAGES.)
-BREATH WEAPON (NATURALLY)
-RAPID REPRODUCTION (AS EROM POINTED OUT.)

Hope I could be of service to you, and don't forget that YOU NEED ALL CAPS IN RAWS. Even in [trANCES]

Hold on...
[trANCES]

Sweet crap in a basket! What is the problem with this software? [tr [tr [Tr [tR

hold on... [T [TR [TRA [TRAN [TRANC [TRANCE [TRANCES [TRANCES]

Ok, so if it's the first appearance of ["TR"... in a line, this forum renders it as [tr... WHAT?

Um, sorry, Mr. Gator, my mistake.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:52:55 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 12:12:47 pm »

Replace [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN] to remove any notion of peace.

Also, the [NO_PAIN] and [NO_FEAR] tags are good for when you fight them in fortress mode.

Without armor, size and damblock are a must.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »

THIS IS A MISTAKE THAT A LOT OF NEW MODDERS MAKE. YOU MUST MAKE SURE THAT THERE ARE NO LOWERCASE LETTERS IN ANY TAGS. THE GAME IS CASE SENSITIVE, AND WILL IGNORE TAGS THAT IT DOES NOT UNDERSTAND.

Silly rabbit, he didn't make that mistake. The forum just borks up certain letters in tags.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 12:56:20 pm »

ALSO, DON'T FORGET TO LOOK INTO THE ERROR LOG AND REJECT LOG. BOTH OF THESE CAN HAVE USEFUL INFORMATION.

ABOUT YOUR SPECIFIC QUESTION: THERE ARE A FEW THINGS THAT SEEM TO BE EFFECTIVE FOR WORLDGEN WAR SURVIVAL:
-NO MAX AGE (OLD, EXPERIENCED TROOPS DON'T DIE.)
-SIZE (PERHAPS THE MOST DIRECT CONTROL- BIG BEINGS HAVE HUGE ADVANTAGES.)
-BREATH WEAPON (NATURALLY)
-RAPID REPRODUCTION (AS EROM POINTED OUT.)

Hope I could be of service to you, and don't forget that YOU NEED ALL CAPS IN RAWS. Even in [trANCES]

Hold on...
[trANCES]

Sweet crap in a basket! What is the problem with this software? [tr [tr [Tr [tR

hold on... [T [TR [TRA [TRAN [TRANC [TRANCE [TRANCES [TRANCES]

Also LI transforms to li. The Poor dwarf has become stark raving mad due to forum carps! Oh no!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 04:09:01 pm »

THIS IS A MISTAKE....

WHAT?

I laughed.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 09:17:12 pm »

Okay, seems bringing back the other civs in a near proportion in terms of maximum settlement numbers, and making slight modifications to the Uruk personality has helped out.

Now I'm just making some minor bits and bobs before moving on to the next milestone.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 02:31:43 am »

I'll second the no-fear and especially no-pain tags (makes them much more resistant to arrow fire). As for making them more survivable, giving them really short childhoods seems to help: they breed to replace their losses fairly well. Numbers seem to matter the most in world-gen combat anyway.

For making them difficult in fortress mode, look up the DAMBLOCK of various pieces of armor, figure about what you want them to be like, and then put in the appropriate number (remembering to divide the armor numbers by 10).
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 01:45:51 am »

All right.. moving on to the next milestone.. now the Uruk make it and the Goblins die off.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 03:11:38 am »

If you want to be sure about biomes, you may check my long forgotten Middle-Earth mod, uruks there are playtested and balanced worldgen-wise.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 01:06:28 am »

Basically every CIV gets one site to start with now.

I am working my way through making a few choices for every reasonable biome for CIVs and balancing them out.

At the time of this post there are 11 CIVs, not all of whom make it to the modern day. And I have a few more in the pipes.. Nothing seriously wierd or D&D-ish though.

I have been a bit lazy and broken dwarves, elves and humans down into a few options with slight variations in beliefsm equipment and behaviour between the variants.

You have the Uru'Lokh and Uru'Draeghar and the slightly re-worked kobolds and goblins (more fecund, less longevity).

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 08:43:06 pm »

Silly rabbit, he didn't make that mistake. The forum just borks up certain letters in tags.

which can easily be circumvented by using [ pre ] [ /pre ]  around your tags.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games
Pages: [1] 2