Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trees  (Read 1426 times)

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trees
« on: December 17, 2008, 05:57:43 am »

I opened up the matgloss_wood raw and changed every biome tag to ALL_MAIN in an effort to see trees grow on mountains and in a desert but to no avail. Is that not the correct file to change, or is it just impossible to change the biomes of trees.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Trees
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:10:07 am »

No you got it right.  Trees just won't grow on terrain marked as mountainous, even if it's an allowable biome.

I might me be wrong though.  Did you do this to a gameworld already in progress, or did you generate a new world?  If the latter, it's probably impossible then.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:41:14 am »

But I'm not seeing them appear in deserts either. And yeah, I remember I have to generate a new region every time I change a raw file.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:43:29 am »

Toady has stated trees will only grow in areas with sufficient soil moisture. As deserts are somewhat dry, and mountains probably have very good drainage, I can't see either having the water levels required to grow trees.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:38:35 am »

Did you try upping the minimum rainfall amount and capping the drainage?  I'm not sure if this would solve the problem, or if it would just make it so no deserts or mountains appear, but barring either of those it might solve the problem.  Seems to me, tho, that the terrains have a range, so there might be room for play.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:17:20 pm »

You can get trees to grow in desert by playing around with the minimum rainfall and stuff in world gen. Like ascii kid says, the terrains have a range. However, you can't seem to get them to grow on mountains at all - presumably because mountains are hardcoded to not have soil. Sorry. The only time something will grow in a MOUNTAIN biome is a very thin band where the mountain touches the adjacent biome. Sometimes, not all the time, you'll get a 10 or 20 tile wide strip that has soil but is still considered MOUNTAIN. Useful if you, say, wanted to make a rare plant that only grew at the foot of mountains, but useless if you're trying to get alpine forests.

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:54:10 pm »

Could a plateaux be formed inside the elevated terrain of a mountain range that could be considered a different biome?  Ie.  Could you have a mountain-top forrest or lake?  Or is it considered one huge biome reguardless of the features therein.
-Homer

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:27:59 am »

High mountains are still somewhat dull. I think it can be changed later, but for now mountains are heaps of rock, and no tree can grow on rock. This is not a "hardcoded mountain" problem, this is tied to common min/max drainage and other things in the worldgen parameters. I was able to get sparce forests in a desert but the problem is that if you try to make more real "forests" there the sand is gone due to worldgen parameters. So we just need more expanded idea how the worldgen works and some tweaks from Toady to allow special features like plateaus and lakes on high mountains.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 12:47:09 am »

Muddy the mountains and deserts and it should work very much like tower cap growth.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 06:55:22 am »

Doesn't that only work for underground/covered plants?  If not, then every mountain-top I build under is going to be a waterfall.  With VERY tired pump opperators.  =->
-Homer

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 05:55:05 am »

Isn't there already a desert based tree. The saguro cactus IIRC.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

roundedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 06:04:29 am »

my fortress is in a desert with saguaro's

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 06:08:35 pm »

But I'm not seeing them appear in deserts either. And yeah, I remember I have to generate a new region every time I change a raw file.
I swear, Toady REALLY needs to sticky a topic with this.

Changes to tags except for locations (biomes)/entities do not require regeneration.
Changes to locations and pretty much anything in the entity files do.
Adding/removing entire entries or renaming entries will also.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 06:15:32 pm »

As to questions about trees on mountains, IIRC you need soil layer under the layer that's exposed to light (Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never seen tree on muddied rock tiles yet other than tower-caps underground, and I've flooded my share of rocky areas above and underground ). And deserts, I've never seen trees in the few deserts I've played so far, but occasional bushes so I think it's too dry to support trees in general, and thusly don't shows up much even for desert-type trees.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 09:57:10 am »

I once played a game in a desert where there were loads and loads of saguaros. In fact, that was my first fortress. I never had to import wood and everything i made was out of wood (had a wicked double aquifer). The aquifer might have had something to do with it.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.
Pages: [1] 2