Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The Deadliest Creatures  (Read 9990 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: The Deadliest Creatures
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2009, 02:26:55 am »

The single scariest thing I've ever encountered has been a giant bat. Doesn't seem all that scary, does it? But somehow, out of absolutely nowhere, the thing materializes *inside* my fortress, *inside* one of my dwarf's bedrooms, and then laid waste to atleast 6 or 7 of my dwarfs, while they were asleep. I finally had to gather up all my dwarf sentries, in full armour, and march them all back down inside my fortress in the middle of the night to kill the thing, and it still ate 3 of those. I'm not even 100% that they actually killed the f-ing thing, I don't think I ever found remains, just gallons and gallons of blood splashed everywhere...

It was exactly like that scene in Jeepers Creepers, where the Creeper breaks into the police station and slaughters all the cops.
For they would be your masters.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2009, 05:31:25 pm »

Obviously.

;)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2009, 05:42:01 pm »

Most dangerous? Macaques. They pushed a town's priests off the highest level.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2009, 05:45:12 pm »

Yeah those silly monkeys. Always up to no good.

Dern Macaques.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2009, 07:38:55 pm »

The single scariest thing I've ever encountered has been a giant bat.

I completely agree with you now.

I had a gold vein that crossed the chasm designated to mine out, and one miner got there ahead of the others. He starting mining, but then a giant bat swooped in the newly breached hole in the wall and he ran for his life. He sprinted down the mined-out vein, up the staircase, and was at the top about to escape past my cage traps... when the giant bat grabbed him from down in the staircase and ripped both legs off. He fell unconscious at the top of the stairs, and was then gnawed on by the bat, which stayed down in the staircase. It managed to also rip off his right arm before killing him. Another miner arrived and put a pick through the newly named Edanágesh's heart. I think she gets a nicer room and a fancy tomb...
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2009, 10:36:38 pm »

Probably the deadlies creature to you, uh, lower body, if it was ever implemented.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2009, 11:29:51 pm »

I would have to say the worst thing I have come across are Giant cave swallows. Sure they are not as bad as the GC Spiders, least your military dwarfs will recognize them as dangerous. I have had my military, which was set to harass the wildlife completly ignore them, while they were running rampant inside my fort. The military was stationed right next to them as well.

After this one happening, all GC swallows become instant markdwarf targets for me. I go out of my way to station marksdwarfs pretty much underneath, or near any I find on my maps. 

I'm sure even in adveture mode they can be a handful, thanks to their flying and most military dwarfs just ignore them. Though once they do get engaged they don't last all that long.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:33:12 pm by Hawklaser »

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2009, 05:21:31 pm »

I think the deadliest thing in adventure mode is definetly ice. You're having a nice afternoon swim when you see the ~'s turn to ice and a 'you've been encased in ice'. I think that's what happened to my very first adventurer ever...

But the scariest was definetly when I managed to get my second ever adventurer to a cave for the very first time and started looking for that minotaur or something. What I ran into was I capital S... So I quickly looked it in the wiki and decided to run away just to get the 'You've been spotted' message followed by X pages of announcements of being killed by a GCS...
That was fun!  :D

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2009, 11:55:42 pm »

Skeletal fish.

They're fucking hardcore.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2009, 09:32:14 am »

no matter how many evil seas or rivers i embark on i never get the skeletal fish. i really wanted to be beating off skeletal sharks and zombie whales, but ive never met any yet. only ever get zombie hairy marmots and goats and things.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2009, 10:10:07 am »

A zombie titan. I had no trouble with his skeletal beast-men, but I staggered into his section of the caves and discovered one very important fact; Zitans can make a full steel plated, master axe wielding, dwarven adventurer their bitch without even trying.  :(
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2009, 10:32:37 am »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2009, 12:26:20 pm »

You right handed? Don't need lefty for anything anyway.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2009, 01:22:38 pm »

I then procedded to whack a cougar with my left hand before it got annoyed and killed me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2009, 01:25:15 pm »

Of the Megabeasts the most dangerous is between the Dragon and the Bronze collosus.

I will go with the Bronze Collosus being the most dangerous (except in world generation...)

Of the Semimegabeasts Ill go with the Giant
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6