Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Viking Themed Games  (Read 11362 times)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Viking Themed Games
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:07:01 pm »

I've been looking for a good game with a Viking theme. I downloaded the demo for Rune and was a bit dissappointed, since the game seems to go like this:

RUN RUN RUN JUMP RUN JUMP RUN SWING SWING SWING SWING RUN SWING RUN RUN SWING x∞

I don't know if I could do that for forty-five levels.

Can anyone recommend anything? Don't bother mentioning Mount & Blade. It's already on the list and I would like to play something involving Norse Myth.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Viking Themed Games
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 11:11:57 pm »

The Lost Vikings - by old school Blizzard.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:19:17 pm »

HAhahahah :P Lost Vikings is great but other than 3 guys with beards its not really viking themed, now, is it  ;D

Now let me think... there ARE enough games that revolve around pillaging and plundering ... but norse mythology... there is this one game I never played, but it always sounded good, maybe it's something you could like?

Eric, the Unready

Wait, I don't know it that's the one I was looking for....
Nope, it wasn't. For the life of me, I cant find the game anymore, it also wasnt "eric, the viking", which is an old ascii game.

The thing I was looking for had (I believe) a young viking, with his beard tied to a shield and the older guys were throwing knives at him, or somethign like that as boxart. funny picture... now if i only could remember the name...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:27:47 pm by Puck »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:26:21 pm »

Is there nothing more... current? This must be rectified! I'll program my own Viking-themed game! To the IDE!

Yeah, that's approximately what I said three years ago...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:37:58 pm »

Why not just play DF and you know... pretend?

I couldnt tell the difference for the life of me, though, admittedly, the invading part falls a wee bit short.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 11:56:06 pm »

Current? Not that I know of. Silicon Knights' Two Human was some sort of adaption of Norse Mythology on robots? I have no idea really.

I can't connect to The Underdogs, that has it, but the old PC/DOS Roguelike "Ragnarok" is very viking themed. If I recall, Toady mentioned it somewhere too. It's here: http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1399

I can think of others, but that means going much farther back in time than "The Lost Vikings." I did love that one, though. Erik The Swift rocks.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:58:47 pm »

What was the name of a game where you had inderect control over a tribe... Raiding nearby tribes... Performing "god quests" via priests... Where cows were the main resource...

You were making different choices via "dialogues" which shaped your tribe. You were allocating "mana" in different "spheres" each year (harvest, cows, hunt, scouting etc.) and had a chance to unite clans.
Can you make me to remember this game? It was not viking but quite... themed.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 12:54:08 am »

That sounds like creatures.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 01:09:54 am »

What was the name of a game where you had inderect control over a tribe... Raiding nearby tribes... Performing "god quests" via priests... Where cows were the main resource...

You were making different choices via "dialogues" which shaped your tribe. You were allocating "mana" in different "spheres" each year (harvest, cows, hunt, scouting etc.) and had a chance to unite clans.
Can you make me to remember this game? It was not viking but quite... themed.

That? It's uh...

Wait...

It's KoDP, King of Dragon Pass

S_Verner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 01:16:47 am »

Ummm

Roguelike

Wind.

Castle.

Also, play Darklands, all of you, in this thread, ESPECIALLY YOU!

It's sort of a viking game.

Medieval Germany, really.

You will play Darklands, you will select virgin sacrifices to be sent to the dragon, brew some potions, and die because calomel and leeches are bad and doctors should feel bad.
Combat has been...  improved.

Oh God No!

Oh God YES

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 03:05:27 am »

Heimdall from back in 1992 was the game I best remember being set in the Norse mythology.
If I remember correctly Heimdall 2 had the option to set the games language into Norse, for that extra bit of confusion.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/heimdall review
Heimdall click on where to download for list of mirrors.
Heimdall 2 on abandonia.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 03:12:40 am »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 03:19:46 am »

There was Valhalla roguelike with some rudimentary graphics. Featured quests from gods, cool worldmap=Yggdrasil tree, rainbow bridge, incoming Ragnarok and anything else you can think of that'd fit in the game.
Try Dominions 3, there's quite a few races based on Norse myths. Plus, it's a great way to show those Greek-like hoplites or hordes of undead Romans that nothing can stand in the way of Giants from Niefelheim.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 10:11:13 am »

Wow. I've played just about every game mentioned in this thread. I guess I've traversed the entire scope of Viking-themed games. (Yes, Darklands is epic.) I must do something about this. I do have the Torque game engine... hmmm...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 10:15:23 am »

Medeival II Total war has Vikings I believe. Norse Axemen are deadly!

Anything with Conan is Viking Themed

You would think Buldar's Gate would be Viking themed... but NOOOoOOooOooo
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:17:19 am by Neonivek »
Pages: [1] 2 3