Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggestion: Purchase of raw gems.  (Read 2236 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Purchase of raw gems.
« on: December 16, 2008, 09:19:35 pm »

I understand the trade guild may not allow this suggestion, but It would be nice to be able to buy uncut stones from the dwarven and human caravans.

I have some dwarves with crazy preferences and when they dont get their stones they want in a mood they become suicidal... and for some reason they like theirs uncut...
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Purchase of raw gems.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 09:41:15 pm »

Ways to import sand would also be much appreciated.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 09:42:32 pm »

Ways to import sand would also be much appreciated.
Or at least raw glass that could be melted into other glass items.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 09:46:09 pm »

Personally I think all moods except those of a Gem Cutter should use cut gems, that's the 'usable' form and would be consistent with the rest of the game, a moody dwarf wont grab raw skin or a stack of pigtails when they want leather or cloth they need processed materials.

That said importing raw gems is a fine idea to be able to support your own gem cutting industry.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 03:26:23 am »

Cut gems shouldn't be used for moods, though, because sometimes they build things OUT of gems.

What else uses raw gems, anyway?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

There is a suggestion on the eternal suggestion list: "importing sand/water/rough gems", or something along those lines.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 01:15:18 pm »

Cut gems shouldn't be used for moods, though, because sometimes they build things OUT of gems.

Thats what the Gem Cutter would do when they have moods, they grab several raw gems and make a gem item or perfect gem.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 02:14:44 pm »

This is a sapphire coffin.  It menaces with spikes of goblin bone and kitten leather.  On it is an image of a goblin and a kitten in dimple dye, the kitten is striking down the goblin.

Ok, not real, but I did get a sapphire coffer once and my friend thought I said coffin.  "Yeah, I took this fingernail sized gem and I turned it into a coffin!  We can bury our king in it!"

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 02:19:59 pm »

you guys are creating a false dichotomy.  Some of them should need raw, and some should need cut

(additionally, I think 1 raw should = many cut, and the gems should be rarer, but that's just me)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 02:22:55 pm »

I once had a fortress (Lolôklilar, Granitepatterned) with a turquoise statue as one of the first artifacts, called "the sensitive beguiler". Oddly, the next fortress in the same world also came up with an artifact turquoise statue.

Anyway, I always thought gems represented a batch of gems, like bars represent a batch of metal bars. You can't really encrust stuff with just one gem, after all.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 03:45:34 pm »

Logically I can't understand why they would give you Raw Gems... Sand makes sense... Chunks of certain rocks make sense.

But Raw gems? Especially with the chance they could multiply its worth by cutting it themselves?

It makes some sense if they were poor and couldn't cut themselves so I am open to the idea however

Id need some sort of... uhhh... Dang it... What is the name for something done before... Judges do it... Why can't I remember... I can feel it inside my brain but I cant get it to surface.

Ok for lack of the proper word (Brain cramp)... Proof that it has been done before

AHHH I remember now! Precidence!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:47:20 pm by Neonivek »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

Not all diamond mines cut them onsite...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 03:49:19 pm »

Not all diamond mines cut them onsite...

Yeah but they are cut by the same organisation.

If you had a Mine that you owned and they would send you Raw Gems... that would make sense

However we are speaking about another civilisation... who is selling you Raw Gems for you to keep... and they only get money in return albet less then they would if they cut them themselves.

Id think you would need a contract or something... It makes sense but not total sense... something is missing from my head.

Though some jems such as Jade could be cut twice... One to free it from the rock... the second to shape it. So Shipping uncut Jade makes sense as it in an artistic gem that needs to be shaped specifically.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:54:57 pm by Neonivek »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 03:59:42 pm »

That's more a flaw in the value added determinations...  Raw gems should be more expensive, and the cutting process shouldn't add quite so much value.  Rather, raw gems should be worth exactly the same as no modifier cut gems (not that gems have modifiers yet, but still).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 04:01:35 pm »

That's more a flaw in the value added determinations...  Raw gems should be more expensive, and the cutting process shouldn't add quite so much value.  Rather, raw gems should be worth exactly the same as no modifier cut gems (not that gems have modifiers yet, but still).

But your forgetting that by selling you the raw gems they are forgoing on Large Gems I think... (unless Miners do that)

They should increase their price according to their faith that they very well could have got priceless giant diamonds (Actually... the game REALLY undervalues large gems... you would think "Large Diamond" would fetch a fair price... but WOW almost nothing...)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 04:03:43 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: [1] 2