Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [ART_DEFILE:OFF] in init.txt  (Read 4711 times)

Hesitris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ART_DEFILE:OFF] in init.txt
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »

I have had a legendary engraver survive art defacement before; two defacements at once, if I recall. He started off by, of course, becoming very angry. He ranted to my fortress's leader ("...has yelled at a superior but it only made him angrier," or something to that effect). Then he tantrumed and threw some furniture around and got arrested for it, tantruming several times while in jail. However, the joy overload when he got released was enough to actually bring him back up to normal, and he continued to do engravings as he used to after that. And I learned that mining out wall on the opposite side of an engraving will still somehow damage the engraving.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 07:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I don't care how unbalanced it is, making your dwarves spit webbing is too much fun to pass up on.</STRONG>

Who said it was webbing? And that they were spitting?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 08:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I don't care how unbalanced it is, making your dwarves spit webbing is too much fun to pass up on.</STRONG>

Yeah, I have no idea why this was relevant, but I cracked up and fell over laughing.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 11:06:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:31:04 pm by penguinofhonor »

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 05:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Spiders Everywhere:
<STRONG>If the penalty were adjusted so that an otherwise ecstatic dwarf could pull through the incident, it would actually provide more incentive for the player  to keep them happy.</STRONG>

If you have a prison set up properly, defacement dwarves will be thrown in there and come out fine after cooling down. I have yet to lose any dwarves to merely being very angry.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 05:38:00 am »

I made the mistake to train my sheriff (now captain of the guard) up to legendary in wrestling... I'm yet to have a prisoner in my huge prison I've built just under my barrack. The sheriff usually kill them on the spot.

Less paperwork...  :p

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 08:02:00 pm »

It would be rather nice if this was fixed, or if a init option was put in.

I just had my legendary cook go ballistic after one of his numerous (thousands over his lifetime, hundreds and hundreds currently in storage) masterwork food pieces was "lost." I have no clue how it happened, as nothing stole it and they were all in the food stockpile. Only thing I assume may have happened is one of them was eaten by vermin, as he had several hundred 2 size meals that were masterwork that I had him cook while getting him legendary from extra seeds. Either that or one decayed, but none of my prepared meals have any damage and they are all in a massive food storage around the dining area.

The funny thing is the chef, being strong and very tough from the legendary cook status, managed to absolutely destroy my mayor - who had all the stats maxed and a whole page of legendary skills - without taking any wounds at all. The poor mayor lost his entire lower body and legs, an eye, and had most of the rest of his body broken or mangled. He had more red and grey body parts than I even realised dwarves HAD. He promptly bled to death seconds after the fight.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 09:18:00 pm »

I could easily whip out a utility to tweak this.  I guess I didn't realize people feel so strongly about it.

I'm just reluctant to make (and support) a bunch of tiny utilities that each fiddle with one small part of the game.

But I will, this time.  Expect something on the wiki by tomorrow night.  What should I name it?  Art Defacement Penalty Minimizer seems a bit too wordy.  Anyone have suggestions?  I like quirky names that are tangentially associated with the tool's purpose.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »

You could call it "Happy Thoughts" and make it set their moods to content. This would also come in handy when your fort is spiraling down to doom caused by 1 well liked dwarf dieing off.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 09:29:00 pm »

Artist antidepressant?

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>
If you have a prison set up properly, defacement dwarves will be thrown in there and come out fine after cooling down. I have yet to lose any dwarves to merely being very angry.</STRONG>

Maybe if you're lucky. What usually happens to me is one of:

- Becomes miserable, tantrums while sleeping to no effect (bug?), goes crazy.
- Becomes miserable, tantrums and breaks stuff (hopefully no one else's masterpieces   :roll: ), gets sent to prison, unhappiness from being in prison negates any happiness gained during tantrum, goes crazy.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 12:27:00 am »

Happy Thoughts would be a different utility.  This one targets art defacement only.  How about Art Refacement?

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 01:57:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>

Maybe if you're lucky. What usually happens to me is one of:

- Becomes miserable, tantrums and breaks stuff (hopefully no one else's masterpieces    :roll: ), gets sent to prison, unhappiness from being in prison negates any happiness gained during tantrum, goes crazy.</STRONG>

your both lucky,

usually when i have a dwarf go insane from art defacement they start breaking things but when the fortress guards trys to arrest them they start a fight and apparently a unarmed double legendary weaver / cloths maker can cripple two fully equipped novice mace dwarfs, leaving me with 3 crippled dwarfs

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 06:49:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>Maybe if you're lucky. What usually happens to me is one of:

- Becomes miserable, tantrums and breaks stuff (hopefully no one else's masterpieces    :roll: ), gets sent to prison, unhappiness from being in prison negates any happiness gained during tantrum, goes crazy.</STRONG>

Well yeah. While they're caged they can't do anything, so they get to simmer down, and then super happy happy joy joy when they get released.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 07:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Well yeah. While they're caged they can't do anything, so they get to simmer down, and then super happy happy joy joy when they get released.</STRONG>

I guess it's just a question of whether their jail sentence or internal cuckoo-clock runs out first.

Pages: 1 [2] 3