Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [driver issue]Dual Monitor setup crashes  (Read 527 times)

CrazyTreeBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[driver issue]Dual Monitor setup crashes
« on: December 16, 2008, 12:36:59 am »

Tried to start up Dwarf Fortress on my laptop at work while connected to a second monitor (Extended Desktop).  Maybe it's just my system, but with two monitors it crashed on startup every time in windowed mode, and bluescreened me the first time I tried fullscreen.

Works just fine with only one monitor.

I couldn't find this in the bug list... maybe it's not to be considered, it's probably a rare case.

//Scratch this.  Found on the forum search other people having successful dual monitor setups;  Must be a driver flaw.  Can't find a way to delete thread,  sorry to waste forum space.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:44:01 am by CrazyTreeBoy »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [driver issue]Dual Monitor setup crashes
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 11:13:52 pm »

Tried to start up Dwarf Fortress on my laptop at work while connected to a second monitor (Extended Desktop).  Maybe it's just my system, but with two monitors it crashed on startup every time in windowed mode, and bluescreened me the first time I tried fullscreen.

Works just fine with only one monitor.

I couldn't find this in the bug list... maybe it's not to be considered, it's probably a rare case.

//Scratch this.  Found on the forum search other people having successful dual monitor setups;  Must be a driver flaw.  Can't find a way to delete thread,  sorry to waste forum space.

Did you start DF on one screen and move it to the other?  I have a dual monitor setup and (although I run DF in a window on my main) I have no problems.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 07:31:06 am »

I used a dual monitor setup until a few weeks ago - Ati Radeon 9800 XP, 1x 17" CRT, 1x 17" LCD.

DF would not display at all on one monitor, if I moved the DF window to that screen it just stayed black. Worked normally on the other screen.

Since that gfx card died by now I've switched to a crap Nvidia AGP card ... and for the first time ever had DF freeze (and crash windows) with what looked like serious driver problems.
(I'm starting to suspect I should not have bought that cheap fanless gfx card.)
Typical crash:
Leave a menu -> entire screen freezes and shifts pixels, looking sorta smudged -> DF music stops, continues after a few seconds, but the monitor goes to "no signal". Hitting ESC and trying to save the game didn't work either -> reset
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 11:23:19 am by Samyotix »

CrazyTreeBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 02:00:37 pm »

Hey, thanks for the help!

It worked correctly when I disconnected the second monitor and turned it on, then reconnected the monitor.  It crashes if I put it on the secondary monitor at anytime.

So apparently the first time I started it, the window had no idea where to go?  Unfortunately, I had wanted to run it on the second monitor the most, so I could work and play at the same time.  Probably for the best, though.