Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Goblin advanced Sieges  (Read 9465 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin advanced Sieges
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 06:11:23 pm »

Of course, with all that other stuff, is undermining really necessary?  I mean, plenty of people don't like it, and there have been plenty of other good suggestions, so does whether or not to have tunneling really need to be discussed?

I absolutely love the idea of tunnelers. Sieges would be much more challenging, just think about it. It's dividing the community, because some players are simply annoyed by the idea of tunnelers for various reasons. It's understandable. Thus if it's gonna be implemented, there must an option to turn it off in the init.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 06:15:17 pm »

Of course, with all that other stuff, is undermining really necessary?  I mean, plenty of people don't like it, and there have been plenty of other good suggestions, so does whether or not to have tunneling really need to be discussed?

I absolutely love the idea of tunnelers. Sieges would be much more challenging, just think about it. It's dividing the community, because some players are simply annoyed by the idea of tunnelers for various reasons. It's understandable. Thus if it's gonna be implemented, there must an option to turn it off in the init.

And the fact that you can turn features on and off in the init.txt should be more obvious.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 07:03:46 pm »

I think the general solution for players who just want to build things, without outside forces coming and messing up their nice pristine fortress, should be to embark to somewhere well inside dwarven territory. Once the Army Arc/world transportation stuff is implemented, those locations should be fairly safe from sieges, especially the kind that bring demolition gear. Of course mineral resources will be sparse, but that will also help with your pristine fortress--you don't have to mine out veins of anything, you'll just import metal and gems as needed.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 07:53:46 pm »

I think the general solution for players who just want to build things, without outside forces coming and messing up their nice pristine fortress, should be to embark to somewhere well inside dwarven territory. Once the Army Arc/world transportation stuff is implemented, those locations should be fairly safe from sieges, especially the kind that bring demolition gear. Of course mineral resources will be sparse, but that will also help with your pristine fortress--you don't have to mine out veins of anything, you'll just import metal and gems as needed.

2 Problems:
1)  Some people like having sieges and the ability to build huge things, and
2)  If there are no valuable minerals, how do you trade for valuable items?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 09:34:36 pm »

uh... cheat?
plunder other fortresses?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 09:41:06 pm »

uh... cheat?
plunder other fortresses?
First one: NO!
Second one:  Maybe, but the player shouldn't need to.
Just so I remember

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 10:01:16 pm »

make crafts out of bone, make crafts out of rock...
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 10:05:22 pm »

make crafts out of bone, make crafts out of rock...
Crafts are near worthless.
Just so I remember

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 10:15:38 pm »

Well if you make enough crafts the value can rack up!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 10:20:46 pm »

you make unreasonable offers to all dwarven caravans, and seize their stuff (if you can), and keep their wagons beached at the depo for a year each time it comes, that way you'll be surrounded by enemies, and you can attack the invading enemies and take their stuff.

[toad: pointless insult removed]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:45:29 am by Toady One »

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 12:12:02 am »

"Dig, Dig, Dig, Dig *whipcrack* digidigidigidigidig..." seismic reports from listening station #4.

Suspect incursion of goblin slave miners and likely hostile strike team.

Suggested course of action...

Prep C.C.a.R.P (Carp Containment and Release Point) for immediate dispatch and deployment.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 02:12:06 am »

2 Problems:

Then create two worlds and play two different forts. The game supports that, you know.

You can't have sieges, and at the same time be able to build stuff without sieges messing it up. I'm sorry if that disappoints some people. You also can't have square circles, fat-free ice cream, or honest politicians.

2)  If there are no valuable minerals, how do you trade for valuable items?

You import minerals, make them into finished goods, and sell them. It's the traditional function of cities: putting all the artisans in one place so that they can turn raw material into useful products. And there's always farming, which can be done anywhere there's dirt.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 02:40:23 am »

You also can't have square circles, fat-free ice cream, or honest politicians.

Boxing rings (it's a ring, but it's a square!), sorbet, and... hmmm... Ghandi maybe? The original, not the recent chick.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 07:30:12 pm »

2 Problems:

Then create two worlds and play two different forts. The game supports that, you know.

You can't have sieges, and at the same time be able to build stuff without sieges messing it up. I'm sorry if that disappoints some people.
Yes you can.  Can anyone say:  Great Wall of China? 
That thing is huge, and it was built with the intention of blocking attacks.  They had attacks, but they were able to build it, weren't they
Just so I remember

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 01:55:25 am »

Yes you can.  Can anyone say:  Great Wall of China? 
That thing is huge, and it was built with the intention of blocking attacks.  They had attacks, but they were able to build it, weren't they

At this point you're just being an asshole.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6