Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Goblin advanced Sieges  (Read 9454 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Goblin advanced Sieges
« on: December 15, 2008, 09:55:59 pm »

I want to have goblins who can penetrate an *impenetrable fortress* or try to.

Things like trolls with drawbridge hooks.

Goblin siege towers, moat bridges, gnomic slave tunnelers, siege ladders and grappling hooks.

Humans could have even more advanced siege weaponry like catapults, etc.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin advanced Sieges
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 10:00:46 pm »

Already been suggested and some of that is on the dev list.  Also, you should just stay of the tunneling subject because there never seems to be any agreement on that.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 10:04:07 pm »

One particularly DF-worthy tactic would be goblin phalanxes.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:05:24 pm »

Yeah, no one wants any holes in their maps because of dickwadded besieging enemies.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 10:08:18 pm »

yeah... i've read the whole 14 something pages of underground diversity...

But all i'm saying is that they shouldn't just stop dead once you pull up a drawbridge or lock a door.
I've got an entire forest of traps which the stupid buggers never move to. they just sit around the edges of the map looking nervously at eachother and then leave, until i get bored and send out my overpowered champions to decimate them.

I want them to make an effort to attack.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 10:37:29 pm »

But all i'm saying is that they shouldn't just stop dead once you pull up a drawbridge or lock a door.
I've got an entire forest of traps which the stupid buggers never move to. they just sit around the edges of the map looking nervously at eachother and then leave, until i get bored and send out my overpowered champions to decimate them.

They destroy said construction, which each have their own 'health' level.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 11:35:02 pm »

A better gradiation of the [BUILDINGDESTROYER] tag would be another option; at 1, the creature could team up with others of its kind and put forth a concerted effort to bash down doors. At 2 and 3, it would work as 1 and 2 do now.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 11:50:23 pm »

nah!! i want them to deassemble draw bridges, and build bridges over moats... i.e. goblin engineers build bridge over moat, troll breaks wall, goblins swarm in.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 12:30:49 am »

The game would need to know what's a moat or it'll do what building destroyers do: break every statue you laid out to guide your caravans meticulously one by one. Man I hope it gets better AI. In this case, they'd start building floors over your ponds!

Pulling down drawbridges with trolls wielding giant chains with hooks is far easier to implement. This would usually accomplish the goal of getting in. Just make it jammed until it's taken like doors. And stop the trolls from breaking it once it's down dammit  :p

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 12:33:51 am »

well they got the troll ai right anyway

ZING

but yeah, i'd like for there to be a siege environment when there's a siege, instead of, hmmm... don't go outside you'll get shot, and wait for them to leave.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 12:53:24 am »

I dunno. Really, you can stop any seige just by locking the front door unless you've amassed some insane amount of wealth that causes the goblins to bring trolls. They get bored and go away after awhile.

I hope seiges are made more difficult before enemy armies are drawn from limited pools. Otherwise the entire goblin Army will end up dead on your front porch and the game will be even less challenging.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 12:19:20 pm »

Put a tag on doors or floodgates, that attracts the goblins to it, if they send a siege they shoudl send a battering ram to knockdown the floodgates or doors,or watever. This sort of thing needs to be done, atleast you could try and get them to build ladders over the walls. And you wouldnt need engineers to do it either becuase you could just send your troops after them, thast would send the seige away.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 03:37:20 pm »

Already been suggested and some of that is on the dev list.  Also, you should just stay of the tunneling subject because there never seems to be any agreement on that.

Yeah, we've talked about this in many topics so far. Here is one of the best threads about how to make the siege system better:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27101.0

I've posted my ideas in that topic also, but I am gonna copy and paste it.

I think that these features would make the sieges quite challenging:

- Siege engines [Toady will work on this in the upcoming weeks]
- Diggers/Tunnelers [Special units -> digging tunnels into the player's fortress]
- Bridge Builders [Special units -> constructing bridges over the moats]
- "Mechanics" [Special units -> they are able to spot + disable the traps]

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 05:44:39 pm »

Of course, with all that other stuff, is undermining really necessary?  I mean, plenty of people don't like it, and there have been plenty of other good suggestions, so does whether or not to have tunneling really need to be discussed?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 05:57:09 pm »

Tunneling is dangerous, unreliable, slow and difficult. They will try to find a way to use any weak spot before tunneling: it should really be a measure of last resort.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6