Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Goblin advanced Sieges  (Read 9440 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin advanced Sieges
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2008, 07:55:35 pm »

Where exactly ARE we in this conversation? I am entirely and uttarly lost?

The Trolling kinda hijacked the train of thought and crashed it into angry town.

Id personally would like to get the train back onto Easy Street and avoid delusion drive and the devilish detour that is troll town so that we can get to the destination called civil conversation!

Joke aside... No really where are we?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 07:58:43 pm by Neonivek »

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2008, 08:04:46 pm »

I haven't reported a single person in my history here, tempted though I've been. Last thing we were talking about before people took to insulting Legolord and testing my statements was...

... I also believe there should be a much smaller group of combat engineers as there are soldiers- in this age, one who wields a blade can be a layabout recruit, whereas a competent and trained combat engineer must have the ability to practice his craft, and practice his craft well, in the face of pain and death amongst numerous distractions- such as arrows in the leg.

If you take care of your fortress defense- and you are creative-, you should be protected enough to defend and eventually combat enemy assaults.

^ In response to bjlong's post.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2008, 08:27:55 pm »

Okay, we had been talking about tunneling before stuff like this:

I think it's worth noting that I haven't seen Legolord insult anyone yet, and two people have called him a douche and an asshole.

Hmm, that's interesting. Have to test this:

I want EVERY SINGLE THING in the ENTIRE GAME to be able to tunnel. And sieges should trigger the tunneling behaviour. Besiegers should bring runic shovels to make them more dangerous.
I am offended by that, by the way.  [joke]Troll[/joke]  ;D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2008, 05:36:08 am »

I think it's worth noting that I haven't seen Legolord insult anyone yet, and two people have called him a douche and an asshole.

Hmm, that's interesting. Have to test this:

I want EVERY SINGLE THING in the ENTIRE GAME to be able to tunnel. And sieges should trigger the tunneling behaviour. Besiegers should bring runic shovels to make them more dangerous.

Trolling is attempting to incite argument. Congratulations, you're trying to ruin this thread. And I wouldn't call you an idiot for this as a serious suggestion- at worst, I'd call your plan idiotic, and only if there's extenuating factors that really get under my skin- like, as said before, downright insulting behavior towards others on the forum, a disregard for doing your own searching, and outright pig-headed inability to change your ways when given adequate reasoning to do so.

ZOMG, it worked! We have struck !!gold!!

For the record, I found that very clever in context! Get it? "struck !!gold!!", "strike flame gold"?! Hahaha... ha... eh... Ok, yeah.... kthnxbye
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2008, 08:18:17 am »

Right, lets get back on topic a bit shall we...

Personally I think that it should be an init file option for tunneling, I get angered easily if something screws up my layout. (I'l abandon if I accidently flood a room with magma or water, even if its just 1 lil bedroom) 

However, something that has bothered me is that invaders (when they aren't trying to steal stuff) are always trying to kill everybody in your fortress.

If your a goblin who likes shiny stuff and you come across this weekly defended fort, wouldn't it be more profitable to kill the resistance and raid their Finished goods, weapons, coins and other valuables and leave the peasantry alive, after all if the fort has no defense you can come back in a year and get more valuables, In addition they could walk off with a dwarf or two as a slave (init option)

Ambushers shouldn't try to get close to your fort, they should try and ambush traders and walk off with their stuff.

Sieges should be something of a last resort for invaders, when they can't provoke a surrender.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2008, 09:17:29 am »

Sieges should be something of a last resort for invaders, when they can't provoke a surrender.
NOOOOoooooo!!!
Okay, enough silliness.  Don't sieges in general already have an init.txt option to be turned off?  Besides, sieges were very infrequently a last resort.  Most often, they were among the first resorts, because they were more effective than charging into unfamiliar grounds at well fed soldiers.  Starve 'em out first, then fight 'em when they're weakened.  That was the way of it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]