Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 79

Author Topic: Cortex Command - What do you mean data released version 1.0?  (Read 191568 times)

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense

Kagus there are dropships that can drop off it's cargo without killing it. The problem is that the survival is 90% guaranteed.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

More than two people?  I remember leaving a dropship MkI to it's own devices while dropping off six Ronin soldiers with relatively light weapons. 

Only one survived the carnage.  And he managed to lose his gun and get a head wound.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

they should really think of taking off friendly fire on alot of things, mainly bullets and fire from the bottom of cargo ships. They can keep explosions as friendly fire but still...

I could drop off all kinds of soldiers only to have them instanty killed by the jets or the freaking thing tipping over on half of them.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense

More than two people?  I remember leaving a dropship MkI to it's own devices while dropping off six Ronin soldiers with relatively light weapons. 

Only one survived the carnage.  And he managed to lose his gun and get a head wound.

The MKI is horrible at taking weight, and 6 Ronin soldiers without any weapons would instantly kill it, without taking over manually. However it can take 4 Ronin soldiers. (With some difficulty.)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

The MKI is horrible at taking weight, and 6 Ronin soldiers without any weapons would instantly kill it, without taking over manually. However it can take 4 Ronin soldiers. (With some difficulty.)
Ehh, yeah I just found that out you could control it to go to where it needs manually and drop them slightly over the regular drop site, BUT I have found a safe and effieciant way to deliver troops. That is the drop box. You can pretty much drop as many as you want, get a badass entrence and almost no missing limbs.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

Yeah, dropping off troops is where mods really shine, because the mod designers created drop pods, rockets, and dropships that aren't fucking retarded and in fact extremely intuitive with near 100% success rate of dropping 1 to 2 troops at a time.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even with all their faults and annoyances, it's all redeemed when you shoot off one of the side thrusters on a dropship and watch it go spinning onto it's own troops and explode.

And yeah, never use the dropship MK1. Even the dummy rocket is better than that thing. If you let the AI pilot the MK1, you get a 80% complete sucess rate for one guy, 50% for two guys, and having the AI safely land three is a miracle.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Well, it certainly makes for some interesting landings when you set up a shaft base.  Man, that wreckage pile was HUGE...  Ended up plugging one of the pipes.

Yeah, the drop box is kinda my favorite mode of transport right now.  Be nice if it were a little cheaper (since you can't get a refund), but that's easy enough to fix.  But it can get a bit tricky if you load it up with a lot of guys, since the weight of the thing can send it burrowing deep down into the ground.  Then when the troops pop out (if they can), they end up standing on each other and thus mash themselves to death.

By "a lot", I mean three zombies with revolvers.  However, I was dropping them over soft ground instead of concrete.

I wonder if something with a wider base (like the WH40k drop pods) could distribute the force of the impact a little better, so it wouldn't sink as far...

Ha, speaking of shaft bases and drop pods...  There was one time where I was ordering in an emergency replacement defender, and I set him up to be delivered by drop pod.  However, a couple seconds after ordering him, I see a coalition dropship start to land right over my base. 

Just a little off of where I'd ordered the drop.

So the dropship settles in, and just as the bay doors open my drop pod arrives.  It comes screaming down and simply obliterates the port side thruster of the dropship, while also giving it a little helping hand for that spin the other thruster was trying for.

The first coalition soldier gets sent flying out into the wild blue yonder, and my drop pod crashes down safely to release the highly expensive robot + flak cannon I had ordered.

The dropship flips over and crushes the robot before popping out the second coalition soldier, who promptly gets fried by the remaining thruster.

Time for another drop pod.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

Well, it certainly makes for some interesting landings when you set up a shaft base.  Man, that wreckage pile was HUGE...  Ended up plugging one of the pipes.

Yeah, the drop box is kinda my favorite mode of transport right now.  Be nice if it were a little cheaper (since you can't get a refund), but that's easy enough to fix.  But it can get a bit tricky if you load it up with a lot of guys, since the weight of the thing can send it burrowing deep down into the ground.  Then when the troops pop out (if they can), they end up standing on each other and thus mash themselves to death.

By "a lot", I mean three zombies with revolvers.  However, I was dropping them over soft ground instead of concrete.

I wonder if something with a wider base (like the WH40k drop pods) could distribute the force of the impact a little better, so it wouldn't sink as far...

Ha, speaking of shaft bases and drop pods...  There was one time where I was ordering in an emergency replacement defender, and I set him up to be delivered by drop pod.  However, a couple seconds after ordering him, I see a coalition dropship start to land right over my base. 

Just a little off of where I'd ordered the drop.

So the dropship settles in, and just as the bay doors open my drop pod arrives.  It comes screaming down and simply obliterates the port side thruster of the dropship, while also giving it a little helping hand for that spin the other thruster was trying for.

The first coalition soldier gets sent flying out into the wild blue yonder, and my drop pod crashes down safely to release the highly expensive robot + flak cannon I had ordered.

The dropship flips over and crushes the robot before popping out the second coalition soldier, who promptly gets fried by the remaining thruster.

Time for another drop pod.
Yeah the drop crate gives you no refund, but you can always make up for that by smashing it into the enemys that appear. It does suck that the dropships have such a high mortality rate(hell even the grass has a high mortality rate in this game). It seems to work alot better if the dropship lands on a tower like platform and spit soldiers off the edge. That way troops are safe from the fire and the chace that the ship tips over.

Anyway, I have been getting pretty good at the whole one man army thing in this game, usualy I start off with a character in the MK1 then I slowly have the thing "hover" over the field and burn the enemys with the thrusters, then I have the character jump out and whiz around in a jetpack killing enemys.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Well, I actually managed to get a drop pod refund recently.

I tried dropping in some reinforcements in another one of my shaft fortresses (damn six-minute limit), and yet another dropship happened to come in before me.

Well, the barriers I had set up for them were rather close to the top of the screen, so the dropship had gotten caught rather early on and was just sitting there while trying to get close enough to offload troops (or something, I don't know what it was doing there).

Enter one drop pod.  The green death comes whizzing down, smashes the dropship, and then bounces from the impact.  Since the dropship was so close to the top of the screen, the drop pod managed to get launched back up into space.  I got my full refund, including the soldier I asked for (who never got a chance to come out, and thus ended up going for another ride in the happy fun bouncing crate o' death).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Apart from the drop crate, my favorite delivery method is the Dummy Rocket. While the crate is alright for delivery of single troops, the dummy rocket is perfect for delivering massive death. In form of multiple frag grenades, or better yet - crabs. Since crabs are free, you can load an infinite amount of them into anything. A drop crate loaded with crabs will crash through a layer of concrete, and if it gets destroyed, it will detonate like a nuclear missile, throwing lethal debris everywhere. I also found a funny tactic - load a crab and ten frags into a rocket. Drop the crab, and tell him to automatically go toward the enemies. The frags aren't too heavy, so the crab will manage to crawl, and once it gets killed... BaDaBooM! :D ;D
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cortex Command - disembodied brain controls worms, soldat, sharks with pewpe
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2008, 10:42:25 am »

Ya, the dummy rocket is awesome, especially for shaft bunkers. They're very fast and don't tip easily. It's also fun to take control of them and smash them at supersonic speeds into anything.

EDIT: For Kagus, you can edit your gold amount in the Base.rte/Activities.ini. Just set it to whatever amount you desire.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 10:53:15 am by lambskin »
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Wow.  This game is a true and prime example of Artificial Stupidity.  I just saw a computer-controlled Ronin with a shovel hack his own leg off while digging for gold.

And I could swear I saw one trip while walking through a door.

I may really just have to buy this thing.

Also, what's this about dummy rockets not tipping easily?  They tip first chance they get!  That round design is horrible when it comes to keeping steady.

Then again, all of the vanilla rockets are pretty bad...  I saw one fall over after it had landed.  It had just been sitting there for a minute or so (I'd placed it there so I could send some troops and equipment back home), and then it fell over and exploded.  Perfectly flat surface, too.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Dummy Rockets do not tip easily. Compare trying to get a Mk1 or Mk2 out of the sideways roll, to doing the same with a Dummy. It's short and powerful, much like a dwarf, so it can outmanuever everything else with proper control. Btw, the Dummy is the only rocket I know that can actually lift off using reverse thrusters.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Some useful Lua commands:

First, ingame press the ~ key to bring down the console. Then enter these nifty commands:

Money: ActivityMan:GetActivity():SetTeamFunds(100000,0)
 Set the zero at the end to 1 if you want green to get the money.

Editing: ActivityMan:GetActivity().ActivityState = Activity.EDITING
 Sets the game to editing mode. Also resets the timer.

Control: for actor in MovableMan.Actors do actor.Team = 0 end
 Turns every actor in the scene to the desired team. Can cause crashes if you change units you have placed in editing mode to the enemy team and try to attack them.

Let me tell you, these things are great with more expensive mods.

I'm partial to the whole 'fill a crate with ten pineapples and let it drop!" school of bombardment.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 79