Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 79

Author Topic: Cortex Command - What do you mean data released version 1.0?  (Read 191543 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile

well... i've got a 64-bit processor, but the 32-bit version of vista
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

So it's an integrated chip..  that's the only real difference, because I've had no problems with the game long before I updated to the 180.86 Dox optimized drivers. Ergo, I have no idea what could be wrong. :-\

I suppose the Datarealms forums would be a better place to ask then. Just in case, you could try compatibility modes, or setting the drivers to maximum compatibility in the settings application.

Oh, and Vista32 running on an x64 CPU? Who the hell set it up that way?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile

It's an HP Palilion laptop. I'm not positive about the 64-bit processor, Device Manager calls it "AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60". I assume the "64" in there means it's 64-bit, but i haven't looked it up.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, Turion 64 means it's an x64. Sorry, I can't help you there, beyond my field of experience. You should really look on the Datarealms forums.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I try, but there's a lot of гемороя with various pixel positions and there's no adequate answer (and I didn't want to start my own thread about it... Looks like everyone who needs it finds it out eventually sooner or later and keeps this knowledge :)).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think your machine translator missed a word. That, or you had a desire to throw in a word in the Great&Mighty. "Геморрой" has two "р"'s. :P

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Controls and impact damage are retardedly difficult (although really funny)
I have a hell of a time getting anything done without blatantly cheating (Digging gold takes too long, I set the value of dreadnoughts to -10000 so it gives me money)
But other than a few things that bother me a great deal, I love it.
It's really fun, but I can't play it right now cause I messed up the code and didn't do a backup;dreadnoughts aren't meant to fire cannon balls at chaingun speed it appears.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

It's really fun, but I can't play it right now cause I messed up the code and didn't do a backup;dreadnoughts aren't meant to fire cannon balls at chaingun speed it appears.

Oh yes they are.  And they're also meant to fire dummy nails in full auto from a 32-round mag.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My cheating is slightly less dramatic - I set the CraftGun of Rawrelz to fire Rocket Mk2's, and they give me 80 creds upon being fired into the sky. Btw, they really try to ascend when you shoot them, leading to some weird occurences from time to time. Sometimes they turn around in flight and manage to slow down to almost-flyable speed. It's usually then when they are hit by flying debris or another rocket. They also sometimes manage to exact revenge on me, frying the guy I use for shooting (usually a Ronin) with thrusters as they pass overhead.

Btw, the Craftgun does awful things to AI bots when they get a hold of it. You see, the "projectiles" it shoots are perfectly normal critters, but they aren't aligned with either side. So, what happens is - the bot sees a target, shoots at it. The "projectile" flies out, and more likely than not the guy shoots off another one before the first one splatters the target. Then the bot sees an enemy unit, right in his sights... and yes, keeps firing. And firing, and firing, and firing, until he has to reload (doesn't happen often - I put them at 2000 ammo) or is killed by flying debris.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

Oh, and Vista32 running on an x64 CPU? Who the hell set it up that way?

That is a good question. Running a 64-bit processor with a 32-bit operating system is going to end up wasting a large amount of the computing potential of processor. The 32-bit operating system is only going to use half the registers of the processor thus limiting its computing ability. It will still have all the same limitations on it that an existing 32-bit processor has with the same OS.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really dislike the Gold mining... I think there should be alternatives to collecting resources like Solar Pannels or Helipads.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

I'm tired of saying this in all gaming forums I'm in, but here we go again.

Size != Speed

64bits = More precise floating points, 8 byte pointers (and subsequently 17 billion Gbs of ram), and in some very special cases improved performance like when doing extremely big factorials or encrypting large files with just as large encryption keys.

You're not wasting any computational power if the program you're running doesn't support 64bits and even so, the waste isn't in speed, it's in floating point precision, and if the program really needs it, larger variables.

The only way you can truly waste a 64bit system is by having a 64bit cpu, over 4gb of ram and installing a 32bit OS. Or maybe when instead of hacking your game to have 2 billion gold, you wanna have 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 gold instead. ;)

Random shameless plug of a 3dmark comparison of the same computer on xp32 and xp64.

And don't point out the insignificant 1% difference, running the same 3dmark test twice wont give the same values anyway.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 06:07:18 pm by Soulwynd »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

I really dislike the Gold mining... I think there should be alternatives to collecting resources like Solar Pannels or Helipads.
I dunno. I think there needs to be more of a need for gold mining. Currently you don't really need it, just buy a military at the start and have them wipe the floor of the other team. The only time I needed gold was messing around with AAL mod, where I needed to make a room filled with gold blocks with a single dummy with a digger to afford all the cool stuff.

Also, the AA mod rocks. I just wish I could set the skirmish battle to use their troops. Then things would go REALLY crazy.

And that is what CC is all about.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dunno. I think there needs to be more of a need for gold mining. Currently you don't really need it, just buy a military at the start and have them wipe the floor of the other team. The only time I needed gold was messing around with AAL mod, where I needed to make a room filled with gold blocks with a single dummy with a digger to afford all the cool stuff.

Also, the AA mod rocks. I just wish I could set the skirmish battle to use their troops. Then things would go REALLY crazy.

And that is what CC is all about.

Yeah but because of how the game works... not only do you have to mine it yourself (STUPID AI!!!) but it also creates a deathtrap for your own troops (and yourself).

The game in my mind would actually be much better there be no gold mining (or if gold is just a bonus)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Back before I think build 19, a modder created nuclear plants and small generators. These plants were actors which emitted a constant stream of gold into themselves. However upon being shot, they tended to explode violently, similar to dwarven beer.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 79