Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79

Author Topic: Cortex Command - What do you mean data released version 1.0?  (Read 191477 times)

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cortex Command - What do you mean data released version 1.0?
« Reply #1140 on: October 06, 2012, 10:16:01 pm »

I am very new to this so sorry if this has been asked or mentioned before but has the developer talked about his thoughts on net based multiplayer for this game?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: October 06, 2012, 11:29:48 pm »

I am very new to this so sorry if this has been asked or mentioned before but has the developer talked about his thoughts on net based multiplayer for this game?

He has indeed, it would be insanely difficult with the in game engine as it has been designed around local multiplayer the whole way and would probably take a fair bit of work to make networking-friendly. (an entire data packet infrastructure, optimizations to prevent lag from assfucking gameplay, etc etc)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: October 07, 2012, 02:32:48 am »

none of my guys seem to want to autodig..I give them the order and sometimes they do it half-heartedly, a few inches here or there, but none of them put effort into it.
I had the same problem. One time, I set 3 guys to auto-dig and leave to handle the enemies. I come back and see only one's alive, looking triumphant. That was a gold-digging pit, not a blood pit!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: October 07, 2012, 04:01:40 am »

He has indeed, it would be insanely difficult with the in game engine as it has been designed around local multiplayer the whole way and would probably take a fair bit of work to make networking-friendly. (an entire data packet infrastructure, optimizations to prevent lag from assfucking gameplay, etc etc)

Actually, his opinion on net multiplayer is more like: "DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TO BRING UP THAT SHIT IN MY PRESENCE OR I FUCKING KILL YOU!!!!".  :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1144 on: October 07, 2012, 04:24:25 am »

Actually, his opinion on net multiplayer is more like: "DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TO BRING UP THAT SHIT IN MY PRESENCE OR I FUCKING KILL YOU!!!!".  :)
^^^

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #1145 on: October 07, 2012, 06:34:59 am »

There's already a mod that enables a very primitive form. You can only play on their specific server for it, so you need to book it well in advance. Not sure how far that's went.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: October 10, 2012, 01:34:45 am »

Yeah, Cortex Command is practically made for something like multiplayer on XBox Live. It's a real shame Data never decided to tackle it. Making it available locally on XBox might work well too... hope he at least considers that.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: October 10, 2012, 02:51:53 am »

You can hook up something with screen sharing tools, remote connect and so on - sadly it has a massive delay and is still all kinds of wonky.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: October 10, 2012, 03:04:23 am »

See, he gets that question all the time because we don't really consider the major reason this game is made. How the hell would you network those physics calculations accurately? Running them client side still runs into inconsistency issues galore, you can't possibly run all that data through at a good rate, and we can't simplify the calculations because that's the reason he's making the game.

It would be sweet, but I have no idea how it would work.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: October 10, 2012, 03:17:25 am »

I have always been confused as to why you can't run the calculations client side without issue. So long as the random numbers are shared shouldn't the results always be the same? I hear floating point numbers could be an issue but surely there are ways around it. This is coming from a completely novice programmer mind you.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: October 10, 2012, 10:38:09 pm »

Run it on a server, send the results to both sides at once?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: October 10, 2012, 10:59:03 pm »

Run it on a server, send the results to both sides at once?

It depends what you mean by results.

I personally think that having clientside simulation with checksums (if creating those were possible) would be sufficient to keep a game synced enough to play (only update if checksums are unsynced, maybe have quadrant checksums too to narrow down where the misaligned pixels are and reduce data usage), although that would be very susceptible to hacking.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #1152 on: October 13, 2012, 03:31:28 pm »

hay guise

introducing fractal lightning

Quite possibly one of my favourite achievements in my time as a modder. It is an actual weaponized fractal function. The only thing keeping it from branching a gazillion (roughly) times is a very low chance to start one, and an even lower chance for the branches. I once had it less limited. One lightning bolt froze the game for 5 seconds straight because it branched so goddamn many times, and it was GLORIOUS. Now to make other fractal weapons because fractals are awesome.

also maximum nuke

Respriting the shit out of my hueg pack o' mods. It's gonna take a while. :c
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: October 13, 2012, 03:33:15 pm »

Shook, you're modding Cortex Command again? Hell yeah!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: October 13, 2012, 03:42:31 pm »

Shook, you're modding Cortex Command again? Hell yeah!

Yo Shook mods ALL NIGHT LONG!

...okay, I'm stretching a bit again.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79