Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 79

Author Topic: Cortex Command - What do you mean data released version 1.0?  (Read 191507 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

The newest free version is Build 18, but there is almost no mods for it, I think there is a thread somewhere where there's a bunch of B18 mods, but good luck finding it.  Just play the trial of Build 22.  It's fun anyway.  ;D

And who said 2 years isn't a long time?  Dwarf Fortress came out 2 years and without it the world would stop spinning!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I couldn't find any build 18 mods when I looked.
Shoes...

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Playing with the free latest version, I feel a few things are bit difficult.

1. Weight. Damn, people rally can't fly with proper guns.
 2. Handling. Damn, people can't walk very well at all. You just need to fly everywhere and hope you don't smack into the ground too hard.
 3. Dropping in supplies is a bit... difficult.

Other than that, awesomeness. It is unfortunate that I cannot purchase it due to limitations in card-based money devices. Only paper and coins for me. But I hear an older version is free to have mods in! Is it possible to get that?
 Note I am not asking for a crack. Just whatever earlier version supported mods.
If your having trouble lifting soldiers off the ground you can repeatedly tap the "W" button and it should make you go higher, faster. For handling, it is difficult, but you should get used to it soon. If you're using the latest build you can use supply crates to drop in supplies. The newest build that's free and has mods is build 18.
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Ah, I have learned the wonders of supply crates filled with grenades.

It slows everything down for me to appreciate the beauty of it.

And yes, thank you for those helpful tips. Although doing skirmishes on the REALLY small test map is starting to bore me now.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Supply crates full of grenades? Pfeh. Waste of resources. Now, supply crates crammed with crabs...  Mega-laggy explosion of gore for just 20 gold!

Speaking of which, kamikaze crabs carrying some dozen grenades are also very interesting.

I got this here mod for b22, the Craft Cannon - basically a weapon set up to shove whole crafts or actors into existence. I made a Ronin cannon out of it, a gun that shoots Ronin soldiers. Awful, but fun. "Rocket launcher" launching the Mk1 Rocket is also quite good. :P
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:45:16 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

I got this here mod for b22, the Craft Cannon - basically a weapon set up to shove whole crafts or actors into existence. I made a Ronin cannon out of it, a gun that shoots Ronin soldiers. Awful, but fun. "Rocket launcher" launching the Mk1 Rocket is also quite good. :P
You just solidified what I'll be doing for the next 3 hours.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The mod's called "Craft Gun of Rawrelz", so credit goes to the person who made it.

Here it is with my alterations, the weapons are the Alpha Rocket Launcher, the Ronin Cannon, and the Large Crab Collider.
Spoiler: Large hunk'o code (click to show/hide)
Just create a folder called "anything.rte" in your CC directory, make a new file called "Index.ini" inside, and shove this into it. Should work.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Does anyone here have the KMF mod?  It's epic, and has some seriously cool units.  There's this giant robot called the Oppressor, and it's basically unstoppable.  Mine took like 50 people down before it was crushed by a rocket, in this hilarious Saving Private Ryan moment.  I was just going to stomp this wounded Ronin guy, he's trying to shoot me and doing nothing, and then I look up just to see a rocket coming down on me.  All that was left was the Oppressor's head, about ten feet underground.
Shoes...

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The latest free version that had mods was build 18, but I doubt you'll find that at all anymore, much less mods for it.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm just echoing the sentiments previously stated, but the game is awesome. I've been playing since build 8, and love the game to death. Definitely worth paying for. This + Dwarf Fortress are essentially my favorite indie games of all time.

The forum community is full of asshats, but the mods they've been producing for the newest build are horribly amazing.

The developers have a seemingly lackadaisical production approach, and don't tell you nearly as much as toady, but the Cortex releases are on par with DF releases as far as filling you with excitement, wonder and joy.

The game itself takes a long time to get skilled at, but saying something like that to a bunch of DF players is rather pointless, no?

tl;dr

Community = great modders but asshats
developers = unpredictable but trustworthy
game = seemingly shallow but loads of fun

It's a physics simulator that lets you simulate physics, the fun way.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Yeah, Data's updates leave a lot to be desired.  I don't think he even keeps changelogs for each version.

K4tz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I play.  I got the full version when it dropped to half price for Black Friday weekend

<3 Black Friday discount too~

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My best one-sentence description of this game so far is "Soldat + Atomic Cannon + Half-life 2". The side-scrolling "run'n'gun", the per-pixel landscape deformity with outlandish weapons, and the physics engine on top of it all. Yeah, this game is fun, but DAMN!! It's in more need of an interface overhaul than DF. For crying out loud, couldn't controls be mapped to keys rather than mouse movements? And if there is an emphasis on AI and mouse control, why am I forced to being focused on one object instead of floating around the field and issuing commands?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

For crying out loud, couldn't controls be mapped to keys rather than mouse movements?

This is my number one complaint.  I even posted a thread about it.  I think the developer is just way too in love with his cute little radial menu, but I hate the damn thing.  What kind of shooter doesn't let you press 'R' to reload?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any one that either doesn't have guns, doesn't have ammo for guns, or has guns that don't need ammo. Specifically, those would be Thief, Mirror's Edge, and Mass Effect. Also, Duke Nukem, which irritates me to no end - I keep using up the stimulants. :P

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 79