Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 79

Author Topic: Cortex Command - What do you mean data released version 1.0?  (Read 191493 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I still have build 18, which I believe is the last build before they started charging.  I have some mods, but I accidentally deleted most of them.  The one I still have and love, though, is Invasion(I think).  You have this little bunker in the middle of a big field, with giant hedgehog tank traps'n'such.  It's best if you don't put any fortifications down that aren't already on the map, and just give the leader a flak cannon.  After about an hour, the map is this hideous mass-grave, littered with downed dropships, some of which are still running, creating lethal obstacles(Stepping on a still-running dropship causes a physics glitch which tears off your legs, and if the thrusters are shooting off into the air, flying through the emission will vaporize you), and the dropships are glued together with this green-and-red moldy looking substance, which you realize with horror is the bodies of hundreds upon hundreds of dead soldiers, smashed to paste by the falling dropships.

If you get bored of fighting, you can do another fun thing.  Load a dropship up with soldiers, and fly sideways, just barely pressing the thrusters, until you're going at ridiculous speeds.  Go until you hit an enemy dropship, and as you're spinning through the air, spewing fire and sparks, open the bay doors.  Watch your soldiers fly across the battlefield at obscene speeds, so fast that when they hit the ground they're pulverized into red mist.  Even more awesome is when they hit a dropship on the way down.  By that time you'll be going so fast that you'll fly through the blood as you z-wrap around and pass the spot where they hit.  Sometimes they even survive, and it can be cool to play as the sole survivor, wounded and surrounded by enemy soldiers.

Also, yes, the physics are great.  When soldiers walk across soft ground, they leave little footprints.  When Space Marine Dreadnoughts(Courtesy of a mod) walk across the ground, they leave large footprints.  It's too bad that the dreadnoughts aren't that good.  They're very resilient, and no amount of regular bullets can even faze them, but their joints are very fragile.  If they get weighed down in sand, the force needed to get out can cause the legs to come off.

EDIT:

Somehow I forgot to point out, always play on the hardest difficulty.  The guys can't get to your brain anyway, unless you get the Crazy Burrowing Dropship Glitch(Something happens occasionally that causes a dropship or rocket to move so fast it becomes a matter annihilator, burrowing a huge cave through the ground and lagging the game like crazy) and it hits the brain.

EDIT2:

OH!  I almost forgot, I once had a falling dropship land on a soldier, and he survived.  It was insane, I was sure he'd be goo, but he kept himself together.  By the time he died(About three seconds later), he had bled so much the blood had run all the way across the top of the bunker and was pooling on the little table above the brain canister(You'd know what I meant if you saw it, I might upload the mod to something, since it's probably dead now that that build is obsolete.)

tl;dr

Read it, lazy.  I'm not condensing it for you.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:07:35 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

The part that made me moan was "You have to pay for it"

Why is the problem that you must buy the full version? The developer[s?] worked hard on the game, so it's pretty okay if they would like to see some money for their product.  :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why is the problem that you must buy the full version? The developer[s?] worked hard on the game, so it's pretty okay if they would like to see some money for their product.  :)

Simply because I can't buy it. So no matter how much I may like it, it will always be out of reach.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

Simply because I can't buy it. So no matter how much I may like it, it will always be out of reach.

Oh....you cannot "borrow" your mother's/father's credit card or something? Yes I know that lot of people are just annoyed by the idea of using their CCs online...so if that is the case, just ignore my reply.  :)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My problem with buying it is it isn't close to being done. At least it wasn't last time I played it. Too much emphasis was on the modders adding content to the game. When its finished I'll consider buying it.

I remember making a mod that wasn't polished in the sense of graphics (it was just a black circle) but was incredibly fun to play with. I reversed one of the dropships engines so it would spin at incredibly high speeds. Some of them spun so fast they would actually loop because of the air resistance when they got airborne. Then 90% of the forum jumped on me because evidently air resistance wasn't programmed in yet (it was) and even if it was, spinning objects can't loop (they do if they go fast enough). None of them had studied the physics of a spinning object before and yet they refused to learn.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Yeah, I didn't like the community either.

I just modified the activities file so all of the spawns will be robots with blunderbusses.  It's gonna be some kind of crazy robot invasion.

EDIT:  So far, pretty rough, most of the original defenders went down within five minutes, and the two reinforcement teams I've sent in have been shot down and mopped up on the ground.

EDIT2:  Unforeseen complication.  Robots are really tough, so they have a strong tendency to survive having their dropships land on them, and then try to crawl through the surrounding debris, making noise.  Normally it's just annoying, but with the sheer number of them, they use up all the sound channels and make the game really quiet, except for that noise.  I had to stop, but right before I stopped I got to see the last defender get literally blown in half by a robot.  It shot him in the hips from point blank with a blunderbuss.  That was a lot of blood.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:34:24 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

Playing with typical squishy stock humans in this game is worthless... robots all the way.

Mods do make some pretty cool things though. A bunch of battlemechs killing zombies with missile launchers... awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwight.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I *have* to get this, I didn't before because I couldn't run it. Now my graphics card is worse and my  RAM and Processor are much better, and CC seems more than happy with that.

I miss when rockets and such never blew up, that they just dug through the landscape and smashed things. The carnage was, sort of, better.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah. Very few things were more fun the a super shotgun round to the side of a rocket. 10000 rounds each one causing a small leak = rocket mining.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

I *have* to get this, I didn't before because I couldn't run it. Now my graphics card is worse and my  RAM and Processor are much better, and CC seems more than happy with that.

It got optimized a bunch.  Well maybe not optimized, I think they just disabled the glow effect and locked game time to framerate so it goes into slo-mo when your computer's chugging.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I enjoy it, but I can't stand the robots, I like the green Coaltion more.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

This game is pretty fun, knew it for a long time.  31st member!!  ;D

September 2006!   Wow, that was a while ago.  ;)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

hahah, 2 years being a long time ago?

well shit I feel old.

I never signed up on the forums, just read stuff. Not my sort of crowd.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)

I don't get this game.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Playing with the free latest version, I feel a few things are bit difficult.

1. Weight. Damn, people rally can't fly with proper guns.
 2. Handling. Damn, people can't walk very well at all. You just need to fly everywhere and hope you don't smack into the ground too hard.
 3. Dropping in supplies is a bit... difficult.

Other than that, awesomeness. It is unfortunate that I cannot purchase it due to limitations in card-based money devices. Only paper and coins for me. But I hear an older version is free to have mods in! Is it possible to get that?
 Note I am not asking for a crack. Just whatever earlier version supported mods.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 79