Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 79

Author Topic: Cortex Command - What do you mean data released version 1.0?  (Read 191870 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

DF isn't just about melee combat. There're bows, crossbows, and blowguns. Thrown rocks and vomit. CC handles walking and digging fairly well. CC can handle melee too, there was a medieval mod for it even. The idea isn't to balance the mod against vanilla, it's to fight in custom scenarios against elven hordes on trees, goblins in massive castles, and kobolds in deep caves.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile

DF isn't just about melee combat. There're bows, crossbows, and blowguns. Thrown rocks and vomit. CC handles walking and digging fairly well. CC can handle melee too, there was a medieval mod for it even. The idea isn't to balance the mod against vanilla, it's to fight in custom scenarios against elven hordes on trees, goblins in massive castles, and kobolds in deep caves.
And olm men! Also, any reason why I imagine kobolds as tiny goblins?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can call them gobolds, or koblins. The main difference is the use of blowguns and being small enough to run around in caves.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile

You can call them gobolds, or koblins. The main difference is the use of blowguns and being small enough to run around in caves.
Bronze collosii can run around in caves.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This game is so frusturating. I bought it and a few days later uninstalled it because it pissed me off so much. I haven't actually gotten mad at games for a while, but this one brought back those feelings (well  this one part in majora's mask that involved rolling did too).

'Stop fucking falling on eachother' 'He just touched him! That doesn't make people explode!' URGGGH.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile

Your dummies managed to live long enough to fall on each other?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, I just summoned dropshits. They dropped directly ontop of eachother. Or they stomped on all the guns and tools I ordered.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I simply learned to do two things: Station single guards at critical defence points, and fight as much as possible manually. Having multiple armed idiots in one place is never a good idea.

Also, a single rocket stuffed with crabs and an impulse grenade is more cost effective than a Ronin with a minigun.

Also also, never let dropships unload automatically.

It actually makes sense in the game - the only brain among your forces is you, the rest are literally brainless goons. Even the dropship autopilots. You can't expect much from them.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:22:01 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, it's extremely annoying. The drop box thingy is the only reliable way, I've found, to get any of your stuff, and even then there's a chance for fail...

On the note of crabs, get the dummy dropship, keep clicking crab to load it up repeatedly until you have a bazillion pages worth of them, and then load a bomb in, drop it... =)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll go see if I can remake that rocklet launcher... It's infinite amounts of fun.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Yes, it's extremely annoying. The drop box thingy is the only reliable way, I've found, to get any of your stuff, and even then there's a chance for fail...

Don't use that on Ronin or undead.  They're so fragile that hopping out of a mostly-sideways box will crush their ankles.  NOTE:  For extra fun on tall maps, order a drop box delivery on top of an AI dropship.  BOING!

I don't generally use crabships.  Too taxing on both my wallet and my processor.  Instead, what I do is order one dropship with one crab and a bunch of those 5gp stick grenades.  If you load the crab first, all the bombs are listed inside the crab's inventory.  Drop crab, crab dies from fall or gets killed, massive explosion from combined force of 15+ grenades going off at once, dropship flies unharmed off map for refund.

What I hate about the friendly AI is that it has absolutely no concept of how to use cover...  I'll station a dude behind a barrier that keeps him safe while letting him fire over/under/through it, dude sees enemy unit (usually long after they've seen him.  Not sure why) and throws himself forward to plant his face in the dirt and keep him 'safe'.  This of course puts him fully behind the barrier so he can't see the enemy anymore, so he slowly stands up.  Once his head is up, he sees the guy again and falls flat.

Continue this until the other grunt just walks over and steps on him.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I've found that tossing a couple bombs in a drop container alone works, so long as you can land the thing close enough to your enemies.

I'm going to have to try the crab things... I like the idea of a crab somehow containing several tons of high explosives.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, crab bombs are endless fun, they actually have alot of force coming out of them and when that shockwave hits enemies or your own guys... ;)
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought I heard that there's so much pressure that everyone gets exploded except for your braincase.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depends how many you put in I guess.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 79