Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 79

Author Topic: Cortex Command - What do you mean data released version 1.0?  (Read 191802 times)

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tried to reinstall with my key I paid with the support version for.
It's already been used my ass I USED IT, I want my key I PAID for back.
Fuck you data you shit.
http://licensing.datarealms.com/
And if that don't work then you haven't converted it into a Plimus key yet (on the page) that needs too be done also.
Now that that's over with. (It doesn't have a limited time use that i know of, i've reset it around 10 times)
People if you like a game then awesome, if you don't then awesome, these are opinions about preference and "Quality" of the game and arguments over them are just plain stupid.
And this game HAS changed, if you have decided too even look :P (Gibs ftw)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 01:25:31 am by Kiwi »
The Dread Pirate

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lots of complicated shit and headach later with emails and such I was able to reset my key, apparently the self reset wouldn't work for me.

Anyone have a copy of AAL they can send me?
I seem to have lost mine in the move to win7 and the backup I made is corrupt.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 05:58:16 pm by Saint »
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Sixteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think he took the pack with him when he left, or at least he reposted it.

EDIT: Nevermind, guess he did take it. They put a few links up anyways, though.
http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=13225&view=next
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:21:35 pm by Sixteen »

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome game, just bought it last night.  Controls are a little funky, takes some time to get used to.

But I find the game to be just plain fun.  Really dig the graphics style and the physics.  Oh, and of course the gratuitous destruction.

If it weren't for bay12, I would never have discovered cool games like this.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile

So... I was looking around in the mod releases and found this:
http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18755
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Armok has smiled upon us! It's just so damn awesome.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

So... I was looking around in the mod releases and found this:
http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18755
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Armok has smiled upon us! It's just so damn awesome.
What is it exactly? The picture interests me but I need to know more before I go to the trouble of reinstalling the game.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

i DID reinstall the game just to take a look.

basically, is is a meta-game for the normal game mode. I didnt get far because I had some weird bug and I can see the arrow cursor. It appears to be a bit like a Risk thing, you have troops in territories, they can be moved to attack other territories. And then, skirmish mode to resolve those battles.

I find it most interesting that the forum community got to this sooner than the developers. What the hell are these guys doing with their time? Drinking beer and pretending to be full time game developers i bet. Either that or they have some other job which takes up their time. If they really spent 40 or so hours per week working on their games, they would have a lot more to show for it.
I got nothing

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile

Their working on another project for now, so CC has sort of fallen to the wayside. Still, if they're good developers, they ought to include that mod with the next build.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

yeah well their "other project" is moving at a snails pace also. Apparently. They have some little vehicle demo (wow) that's months and months old.

I dont have much confidence in these guys, but I also feel i got my moneys worth out of CC anyway. I'm not complaining, I just don't think they are very professional at what they do.

As an example of a company who I think is professional and likely to be around for a long while, Arcen Games. AI War is huge and well made, polished and....COMPLETE. They have expansions. They have provided a free update (read: overhaul). More expansions are coming. AAAAND, the game is relatively comparable in price to Cortex Command. AAAAND they are working on, and have competed other titles.

A big part of being professional is completing what you started. Yes, there are times when a project needs to abandoned, but I don't think CC is a project deserving of such. Lots of folks paid money for the game, as a vote of confidence, that it would be someday as awesome as the visionary potential. Maybe someday it will.

also, indie != non-professional. (is that a double negative?)
I got nothing

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Well, as far as semantics go, you're a professional if you get paid for something.   Since that's your profession.

And yes, Cortex Command hasn't exactly had the best track record as far as updates are concerned.  When I first got into it, it was apparently time for some great big update that people had been waiting a VERY long time for, and that was quite a while ago when I started.

Still, think about what's already in it.  It's got fully destructible terrain (and actors), it's got a highly entertaining physics system, its moving creatures are composites of many smaller parts that can individually be damaged and destroyed (and that react to the environment), and it has by far the most beautifully detailed rubble piles you're ever likely to find in a game these days.  Walking over an old battlefield, there is absolutely no doubt of the carnage that took place there.  When you're clambering over a scrap heap of rocket shrapnel, dropship fragments and dead bodies, all glued together by a layer of blood, that's when you know you're playing Cortex Command.

Also, this game has the Revolver Cannon, which...  Well, it's the Revolver Cannon.  It may not be "the Only gun You'll Ever Need", but it's certainly "the Only Gun You'll ALWAYS Need".  God damn is that thing cool.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

However, it does appear to be devilishly hard to mod in anything except the requisite actor styles.  Obviously, there are other methods, like this Dummy Tank mod I'm looking at, but it requires wacky keybinding and tricking the buy menu into placing the model somewhere.  It just seems like the game would be so much more if the "developers" could stick to one project for longer than a couple months.  I'm hardly one to talk, but then, I've never charged anyone $20 for my half-baked projects.

I'll confess, I actually pirated the game originally, then forgot I still had it installed, and bought it when I saw this thread come back to life.  I figured, if people are talking about it, it must have finally updated.  Nope.  So, I'm kinda ticked.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

That sucks.  Thankfully I bought it long before I'd gotten my fill of shootan gibban battlan
Shoes...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are plenty of great indie developers.  some successfull, some less so.  some large, some small.  mostly, very dedicated to their product.

One of the biggest success stories is probalby Stardock, which started with some pretty tiny programs and grew briliantly.  Another is Introversion; on hard times now, but they've definitly pushed hard on all their games.  Then there are all the companies represented by publishers like Shrapnel, Matrix, and Strategy First.  All small development shops with a couple of games, working through larger publishers to put out (mostly) quality niche products.  Developers like Malfador, Digital Eel, and Code Force.

Then you've got self-publishers like Kerberos and Taleworlds, they're slow but they work hard on their products and release and support them.  there is NO SHORTAGE of great hard-working indie developers.  even Blizzard got their start as a tiny indie company being published by Interplay, and even Interplay was once an indy shop -- god bless Brian Fargo.

Data isnt really anywhere on the list.  Cortex Comand is a ton of fun, but its not a finished game and its been indevelopment longer than it has taken the other guys to crank out far more complicated games.  I'm guessing its just a hoby for them and they have other jobs, as it is fairly unlikely they could be supporting themselves on existing subscriptions without any updates.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile

Just bumping this topic to say that CrazyMLC on DRLFF got a couple interviews with Data and got the info that it's coming out mid december. Also Isscrap may be fixed.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mid-December... as in... two days? =/
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 79