Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 79

Author Topic: Cortex Command - What do you mean data released version 1.0?  (Read 191755 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I really should pick up that SWAT Kats mod again... I got too focused on the Turbokat, and left the whole thing in beginning stages.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is complicated but suffice it to say, I've had a great time playing bad games before.
No you haven't. If you had a great time it was NOT a bad game. Period.

Yes it is a difficult concept to understand however it is nontheless absolutely true. Period.

You can have fun with bad games and I am not even talking about "because it was a bad game" either.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

If I enjoy it I don't care if it's bad.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

It can't be a bad game if you can have fun with it. It can be a mediocre, or a niche game, but it won't be "bad". For example, I know that, objectively, the Remember Tomorrow game is incomplete. It's buggy in places, it has no multiplayer, its creators never heard of interface design conventions, etc, etc. But I have fun with it - therefore, it can't be a bad game, for all its shortcomings.

The same can be said for, for example, Vivisector: Beast Within. It's a cliche-filled clusterf**k of (currently) outdated graphics, horrible voice acting, barely traceable plot and incredibly hardware-inefficient engine. You could have every right to call it a bad game, except it's really, really fun to chase humanoid hyenas around with an automatic shotgun, blowing bowlingball-sized holes in their flesh with every shot. I usually don't touch that game because I already beat it once, but every time I see the CD case on my shelf, I remember the combat scenes and it almost makes me want to reinstall the thing again.

All in all, if you can really, truly have fun in a game, it's not bad. Mediocre, overrated, anything. But not bad.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

It is complicated but suffice it to say, I've had a great time playing bad games before.

Yes it is a difficult concept to understand however it is nontheless absolutely true. Period.

You can have fun with bad games and I am not even talking about "because it was a bad game" either.
You can't have fun with bad games. Why? Because the ability to have fun playing it is what MAKES a game good. It's like looking at a car and saying "That is a bad car. It looks fine, it runs fine, it does everything a good car is supposed to do, and it does it well... but it's a bad car anyway."
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can't have fun with bad games. Why? Because the ability to have fun playing it is what MAKES a game good. It's like looking at a car and saying "That is a bad car. It looks fine, it runs fine, it does everything a good car is supposed to do, and it does it well... but it's a bad car anyway."
You sir are wrong.

Quality = Bad or Good
Not the amount of fun you have with it.

For example, Plan 9 From Outer Space is one of the worst movies ever made, due to its poor quality. But I can have fun watching it.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

For example, Plan 9 From Outer Space is one of the worst movies ever made, due to its poor quality. But I can have fun watching it.

Hence the expression "so bad it's good."

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But is it a good movie?
No its not. Its a terrible movie with a terrible story and terrible acting.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

This is mostly a discussion of semantics.  Some are concentrating on it being a "good game", which puts focus on gameplay mechanics, balance, accessibility and so forth.  Others are going on about it being a "good game", which is more just a descriptor of whether or not it's worthwhile, entertaining, or morally fulfilling(?).

The thing is, Cortex Command honestly isn't a good game.  The balance doesn't even exist, the gold system is a complete joke unless it's changed recently, the AI is hilariously poor, walking is not only incredibly slow but also exceedingly dangerous (try clambering over terrain as one of those cheap humans.  They're just as likely to rip their own feet off on a stroll as anything else), and the whole gameplay aspect is either so poorly implemented that it's nigh-impossible, or constructed to be so mind-numbingly easy that it's almost not worth it.

However, this absolutely does not in any way detract from my enjoyment of this gem.  Indeed, the AI, wonky physics, and random unintentional acts of chaos have contributed quite a bit to my hours of gut-aching laughter spent tooling around with this thing.  The gameplay is still very much in its infancy, and I actually quite like it that way (although I would love to see what this engine could do in a more developed and 'serious' endeavour).

I think I regard Cortex Command to be more of a 'toy' than a 'game', at least for the moment.  It has great potential to become a good game, but it isn't.  Not yet.  What it is, however, is an utterly fantastic toy, and having played a number of 'toy' programs before, I know that there is absolutely no negative connotation associated with that term.

But whatever anyone's opinions might be, we're still getting up in arms about fun.  Something's wrong in this picture.

I made a special level before, on a test map that was very short.  I built a series of tunnels on top of each other with no connection from one level to the next.  Then I implemented a special invasion force that consisted only of drop pods with zombies and skeletons armed with WW2 weaponry (plus a shovel to dig with).  I then placed a heavy supersoldier in each tunnel, and waited.

The objective, of course, was to survive.  Look a few pages back and you should find a picture of the result.  I could handle everything except for the skeletons, which had been set up to carry five or so stick grenades.  There really just wasn't any good way of dealing with those things, as they were effectively walking bombs.  But man...  That was some intense action.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

There's no real challenge and the first thing I do with an install of CC is mod it so I have unlimited money and start seeing how long I can kick ass Abuse the engine before my processor melts.
Place a soldier on a blimp flying towards another blimp and try to stab the actor on the other blimp with a knife. This must be done before a bunch of unguided rockets fall onto that location.

You guys know so much more about playing this game than me.  I just like to plant my brainbox at the bottom of a concrete shaft, and plant a dummy with a flak-rifle on top of the tower to blow the engines off AI dropships.  How do you mod in unlimited money anyway?  Because I fucking suck at programming auto-miners.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dont know what version it happened it, but those drop ship engines got significantly tougher.  they used to be pretty easy to shoot off, even with an assault rifle.  certainly with a couple sniper shots, and easily with one flack shot.

now, they might take two or three flack shots, and you'll be lucky to pop them with an AR unless you start hosing it from the moment it appears.  even then, it often lets off it's cargo before you can take out the engine.

maybe the december version will balance it a bit better again.  i'll probalby play it for a bit the next time its updated.  especially if there are more objectives.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What bothers me is the controls and the flimsy legs.
Also it won't let me unregister my key from a previous update so I can use it on a new version, or something weird.
I bought it a while ago, but yeah.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

To everyone complaining that moving is too hard: tap the jetpack.  You're welcome.

Sixteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can someone recommend a list of mods/scenes/campaigns? I finally dug my key out to play a bit more.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To everyone complaining that moving is too hard: tap the jetpack.  You're welcome.

My legs fell off
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 79