Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 79

Author Topic: Cortex Command - What do you mean data released version 1.0?  (Read 191601 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Darkstorm lacks the character other mods have, the units are boring old soldiers with generic, boring guns.

The electric weapons are pretty unique, and the drop pod is badass.  The sound usage is really good too.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the crobotech mod seems pretty good.  well balanced, nice sprites, nothing really overpowered.

AAL is pretty amazing, though lots of it is overpowered.  honestly my favorite mods for this are the goofey things like the armed crabs and monty python foot.

I'd like to see some scenes where you fight AGAINST some of these over-powered factions, where reinforcements are dropped only from specific unit categories.  where you are assaulted by dropships loaded with BF mecha or AAL tanks or DS supersoldiers.  not the random stream of ronin and dummies, but a coordinated attack from a single faction.

should be easy enough to script, but i have never bothered learning to mod this particular game.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I like DSTech. And AAL. And I like to fight one against the other.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense

There's already a skirmish script for AAL preimplemented.

You just have to go to each index file not in AAL.rte and comment out anything related to activities in the Index.ini for just about each folder.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, if anything they should add an ingame activities editor. Or make the scene editor load up mods instead of adding all that worthless stuff they did in the last version.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Continuing from the Happy thread.

I admit the AI are sloppy and the controls need fine tuning, but the physics are great man!  I've never seen physics like Cortex Command before.  You actually physically push yourself when you walk!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

AHHH MAN!

2 more months and this necro would be a year!!! awesome.

It's funny, I have been thinking about playing Cortex Comman again, quite fun, just there wasnt enough scenarios for me. Have they put any new scenarios in the campaign?
I got nothing

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Currently converting Ivan's Space Marines mod to Black Legion Chaos Mehrens.  This is pretty tedious, and I'm having a lot of trouble getting the Ruinous Mark on their breastplate just right.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Currently they've got the tutorial, the crab mission, the zombie mission, the dummy siege mission, and the dummy siege defense mission.  At least in the demo.

And yes, the physics are excellent (with a few notable exceptions...), and I've never seen battlefields look so damned cool before, but that AI just gets me...  I routinely have soldiers fling themselves off of cliffs as defense measures against approaching infantry.

This causes them to lose their expensive weapons, land helplessly at the feet of someone with a shotgun, and bump their head so they get an owie.

I've also never seen such incredibly stupid use of cover before.  As soon as they see anyone, they will fling themselves to the ground, even if they're standing behind five feet of reinforced concrete.

Said concrete barrier will now obstruct their view, so they no longer see the approaching threat.  They will wait a few moments, and then stand up since the coast is clear.  The enemy is spotted as soon as their head reaches over the top, and they repeat the short-term memory loss duck-and-cover routine all over again.

But man, shooting the engine off a dropship and then watch as the forces slowly send it spiraling out of control, only to squash the troops it just dropped off into a creamy red paste...   There's just nothing like it.

...except getting a rocket to do the same thing.  Hot damn, that was awesome!

Also, I seem to have discovered what is arguably the most efficient defensive system available.  I can easily go for half an hour or more at death-level spawn rates and not have a single soldier even get close to assaulting the brain.

Eventually though, the sheer amount of high-velocity rocket impacts will destroy the level, so defeat is inevitable...  But still, for the rest of the time, I get to sit back and watch them make utter fools of themselves.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Download the They Hunger mod I linked in the Happy Thread and try that super-awesome defensive position.  Those things don't mess around.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

It's really quite simple.  Just place a bunch of concrete pillars roughly one rocket-width apart.  Do this over your brain, and any incursions will be severely limited.

What ends up happening is that the AI attempts to land on top of the pillars.  Dropships will simply miscalculate and drop soldiers down the shafts to their deaths, but rockets will cause no end of mayhem and destruction (read: entertainment) as they set one foot on the concrete, open the doors, spit out a soldier and then promptly crush them into goo as the rocket falls over tot he one side.  Then they will fry anything near them by attempting to blast off into a concrete block, before finally giving up and detonating (also rather hazardous to the health).

The AI will, effectively, crush itself to death.  And every now and then a rocket actually manages to get enough lift to free itself from the ground, but it usually has such an extreme angle by that time that it just crashes into an approaching dropship.  The concrete pillars will wear down eventually, but by that time there will be so much blood and debris that your little protective barrier will essentially repair itself.

Sometimes the dropships miscalculate and try to "land" on the space between the pillars.  This of course leads to the 'ship coming in too close, torching a couple hapless clones, and then getting stomped on by a rocket.

Drop crates are a relatively safe method of delivering someone in this design, but they have a nasty tendency to fire off their content into the space between the pillars.  This will usually end with a man-shaped smear on the ground below, but it sometimes results in the little dude to hang on to the wall for dear life as he stares futilely up at the invasion going on above him.

...and then another rocket crashes, and he gets the Cuisinart treatment via shrapnel.  If he's really lucky, he may get obliterated by his buddy trying to haphazardly dig down through the pillar.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

While I am not willing to retract my original complaints and grievances, since they all still apply, I will say that this game is pretty entertaining.  I went ahead and got the full version, and while the Campaign missions are exercises in either monotony or frustration, Skirmish mode is fucking hilarious.

I just wasted the better part of an hour plunking a few Dreadnoughts to guard my brainroom, while rocketing around the map with Browncoats toting Revolver Cannons, Napalm Flamers, or whatever else struck my fancy, annihilating Ronin by the dozens and knocking dropships out of the sky with a Peacemaker.  I was right, it is like Worms in realtime, with all that entails.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

I'm with Kagus.

I can simply get hours of entertainment by placing the brain in a safe enclosure above the ground, and up the dropship rate so that rockets and dropships are streaming down constantly.

Of course, this means they all crash into each other, sending rockets and parts flying and landing on any survivors that actually managed to survive the descent - sometimes creating a glorious chain reaction of one rocket crashing into a dropship, which spins out of control and hits another dropship, which tries to right itself before smashing into a rocket, which explodes and suddenly the whole screen is aflame with parts, fuel, and blood and my i7/4850X2 computer is LAGGING.

It's morbidly fascinating to watch the physics play out.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist

I like upping the spawn rate even more by messing with the game files  ;D

True carnage cannot be described.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

What I like is getting a ridiculous weapon into the game, and then go rambo on everyone with a brain-bot or equivalent. Ridiculous weapons include an ERPPC (a modded RPC that cuts through concrete like through butter, and can insta-kill rockets), an octopus missile launcher (from SWAT Kats, it latches onto anything it hits and tries to push it away with enough force to keep a dropship aloft), and best of all, the logical extrapolation of the old "Craftgun of RAWRELZ", a bazooka that shoots Dummy Rockets. Filled with grenades. At ten rounds per second. Needless to say, I most often get squished by my own stray shots, but it's ridiculously fun.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 79