Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 79

Author Topic: Cortex Command - What do you mean data released version 1.0?  (Read 191549 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I just got the BMCP mod..... holy hell...  You won't believe the kind of deathtrap fortresses you can set up with that. Here's a mighty fine idea - create a "multiplayer" map where the green team starts with a gigantic fortress and the red team has to dig them out. Bonus points for using the Solid Snake as the only soldier and the only brain.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Problem with dropping a crate with grenades is that it shoves them out one at a time (unless you scuttle the crate).  Put a crab in first, and all the grenades will appear in its inventory.  The crate shoves the crab out, the crab finds a way to die (possibly crushed by its own immense grenade-laden weight), and drops all the grenades simultaneously.

As for the dummy rocket, it is a lovely little thing.  Never said it wasn't.  But although it is much easier to control, it just seemed much more sensitive to me, so you found yourself having to use that control more often.

How are the unit editors?  Is there a GUI or do you have to write all the details in the .ini files?  I'd like to try my hand at designing a troop transport that you can safely leave to its own devices.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There aren't "unit editors". More or less, you have to create each NEW unit via the texts. However, from what I understood, you can just create the "base" of the unit, like a naked doll, and just stick details onto it using the actor and gib editors.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

But does that just mean eye candy, or can you design the actual structure of a unit?  I tend to have an easier time designing something if I can actually see what I'm working with, instead of just entering a value, starting up the game, seeing it's completely buggered, and then go back to the file to make a tweak.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can't really design either, AFAIK it's just classes - AHuman, ACrab, ACRocket, ACDropship. You select graphics and sizes for individual parts and that's about it.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

Some useful Lua commands:

First, ingame press the ~ key to bring down the console. Then enter these nifty commands:

Money: ActivityMan:GetActivity():SetTeamFunds(100000,0)
 Set the zero at the end to 1 if you want green to get the money.

Editing: ActivityMan:GetActivity().ActivityState = Activity.EDITING
 Sets the game to editing mode. Also resets the timer.

Control: for actor in MovableMan.Actors do actor.Team = 0 end
 Turns every actor in the scene to the desired team. Can cause crashes if you change units you have placed in editing mode to the enemy team and try to attack them.

Let me tell you, these things are great with more expensive mods.

I'm partial to the whole 'fill a crate with ten pineapples and let it drop!" school of bombardment.
Ahh that was really usefull! thanks. Now I can play a bit longer before having to just restart the thing.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

ActivityMan!!!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile

Well, I tried getting the full game for free, but that requires me to pay $50 on jewlery. That is the only offer for my region. I guess I have to live with the trial...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Goddamnit, I'm trying to mod in a "Ronin invasion" thingy to the standard skirmish (essentially swaps out all the drops with my specially-tailored ronin packages), but I think I must be going about it in a completely backwards fashion.

What I'm doing is writing stuff into the activities.ini in the Base.rte folder, in the place of the last game mode on the list there.  I basically just upped the starting gold amount, lowered the hardest setting's delay between drops, and added in a whole slew of customized "AddAttackerSpawn"s.

The problem?  It won't recognize any of the "CopyOf" objects I tell it to work with.  Says they haven't been defined or something like that.  Mind you, it's the exact same string as in the original file (ACDropship-yadda yadda), and I even had it underneath as a separate game mode for a while, but it just will not recognize the stuff.

I know I must be missing something, but I don't know what that is.  This is my first attempt at trying to mod this thing, by the way.

I'm damn proud of my layout, too...  I've got two dropship loadouts with three different Ronin characters inside.  The first one out of the ship packs a weapon that's relatively good at close range, the second one is whatever I thought suited that model best, and the third is a heavy-ish weapon (M1600, SPAS12).  All three have individual backup sidearms that are not used by anyone else, and the first two out of the ship also pack shovels.

Then, I've got six drop crate loadouts, each holding one "upgraded" Ronin.  The model that uses a standard shotgun when coming out of the ship now packs a SPAS1200, and the model that had the long rifle now has a full-fledged sniper rifle.  All of the upgraded soldiers also have a shovel, with the exception of one who has six stick-grenades as his weaponry (they won't use grenades unless they have nothing else, and that includes swinging a shovel uselessly at someone standing 30 feet away).

Not a single weapon is used twice, except for models sharing the same sidearm between their standard and upgraded forms.  I was quite proud of that.

So, back to the technical difficulty...  Someone mind enlightening me as to what step I've missed?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Try editing the Activities.ini in Missions.rte instead.  That seems to control the basic skirmish stuff now, though I don't think it did in previous builds.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you're editing in Base.rte, there's the chance ronins haven't been initialized by the time you're trying to add them. Copypaste the Activities.ini into the Ronin.rte folder and adjust any paths, might work.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

It's the dropship it can't find, and it's the vanilla dropship.  If you look into the vanilla activities.ini, at the very bottom you'll see an attacker spawn that references the exact same thing.  I even tried adding a new game mode at the very bottom, underneath that one, and it went right past the original and only stopped once it hit mine.

I have no idea how it managed to accept one reference and then crash on the next, and that's pretty much where I've gotten confused.

Okay, just found the "real" file in mission.rte.  Gonna go change it.

Dammit, rack up another point for idiocy.  Just deleted all my custom Ronin information.  Yay. 

Anyways, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  At least I think it's the right direction.

EDIT:  Okay, what?  It's doing it again.  Lemme post the relevant code:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It will read the first instance, but then it says the second instance is referencing something that hasn't been defined.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

CC is case sensitive and Data made some weird capitalization choices.  You need "ACDropShip," not "ACDropship."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Huh, didn't even notice that.  And I've been trying to keep all the strings as close as possible.

Well, after a few more tweaks, it works.  Cool.

EDIT:  Well, that was entertaining for a record stretch of about three skirmishes.  For all their "cinematic" potential, the Ronin need a hell of a lot more tweaking before they get really interesting.

So, instead, I made a "Rain of Hell" skirmish.  Drop crates delivering zombies and skeletons with various WWII weapons.  Lots of fun, especially on the highest difficulty setting where the drops are practically non-stop.  Fun to see how long you can last under the unceasing tide of the dead...

I might try giving them more sci-fi weapons, to simulate a space station or freighter that's been turned into a bastion of the dead.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Feel like uploading this stuff?
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 79