Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving on Native Silver Floor: text describes as on wall  (Read 716 times)

Udib Gasolbomrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engraving on Native Silver Floor: text describes as on wall
« on: December 14, 2008, 09:56:37 pm »

The title pretty much says it all, although the error also occurred on a small patch of Alexandrite floor.  It was mainly on a floor left by a vein of native silver in a very large throne room ('royal' by size alone, pre-decoration).  Most of the problem engravings I looked at described themselves as being on a wall;  none of the silver or alexandrite floor engravings were correctly labeled.  There were a handful of engravings that did not have any location, just saying "Engraved is."  All of these that I looked at were engravings of civilization (1)  or local (3) identification symbols.  Surrounding rock had no such problem.
[edit:  this is in version 40d, I should add.]

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 10:18:26 pm by Udib Gasolbomrek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving on Native Silver Floor: text describes as on wall
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 02:50:29 am »

I've seen this with civ symbols too, at least the no-description part.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 04:50:18 pm »

Is this something that happens right when the engraver finishes, or does it take an intervening save/load to screw it up?  Is the entire image string "engraved is."?  I have trouble seeing how the word "image" doesn't get put in there, as it seems to happen on all code paths...  maybe something is very wrong.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Udib Gasolbomrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 12:45:44 am »

Atch, my bad.  "Engraved is" is not the entire string.  I'd meant as opposed to a description beginning "Engraved on the wall is..." or "Engraved on the floor is..."  The surface type string (presumably) is missing.  All else seems correct.  Tested on Alexandrite, Silver, and Cassiterite, the string read "Engraved on the wall is" regardless of whether the engraving was on the floor or a wall prior to a save.  My test did not produce a civilization/settlement symbolic image, previously the source of the "Engraved is..." descriptions.  After the save/load, the strings remained the same, i.e., the problem was identified prior to saving and reloading, and persisted afterwards.

Mad.Hatter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 01:07:44 am »

Had this occur today on both a Gypsum floor, and it happened on every one that started with the phrase "Engaved on the <x>"  every one said Wall instead of floor.