Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Differences between races  (Read 1370 times)

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Differences between races
« on: December 14, 2008, 08:10:35 pm »

So I was wondering, are there any major differences when playing as a race besides dwarfs? I head that dwarfs cant use longswords or bows while elves and humans can, and then there's the whole armor size thing, just curios.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Differences between races
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 08:12:59 pm »

Elves can't build anything or dig, Kobolds are too small to use picks so they can't dig, Goblins are just about the same as dwarves except they can't plant, and Humans are nearly exactly the same as dwarves only bigger and they have above ground farming.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 10:31:28 pm »

I've tried making a human fort before, I only noticed that you couldn't embark with stone, any stone.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:36:40 pm »

Of vague importance: Dwarves also have natural damblock. So beware hunting with more fragile races.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 10:23:48 pm »

Also, when playing as humans, you can make things like pikes, halberds, bows, and two handed swords.  But except for the swords, you still can't use them, because the military screen is hardcoded to only assign weapons dwarves can use.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 10:33:46 pm »

Yes, you can use them. There's just no way to get somebody assigned to "axe", say, to pick up a great axe as opposed to a halberd or a battle axe. Except by forbidding all the other choices of course.

The military screen controls what weapon skills you can enable. The choices are hardwired to spear, mace, hammer, axe, sword, and crossbow. All weapons using one of those skills are usable as long as you're big enough. The only weapons that DON'T use these skills, and so can't be used without modding are pikes, bows, large daggers and whips/scourges. A small amount of modding (changing the skill they use) will make pikes and bows usable as well.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 11:55:32 pm »

Humans are nearly exactly the same as dwarves only bigger and they have above ground farming.

Lies.  Lies and slander!  Not that humans don't have above ground farming, only that they can't start with underground seeds.  hardly ever farm underground when playing as dwarves.

Another thing.  Only dwarves trance.  You are now warned.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 05:36:22 am »

Doesn't the ability to trance also include the ability to Mood thanks to some strange grandfathered code?
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 02:13:06 pm »

Doesn't the ability to trance also include the ability to Mood thanks to some strange grandfathered code?
Nope. The several human artifacts in my fortresses are a sign of this.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 02:18:42 pm »

Humans are nearly exactly the same as dwarves only bigger and they have above ground farming.

Lies.  Lies and slander!  Not that humans don't have above ground farming, only that they can't start with underground seeds.  hardly ever farm underground when playing as dwarves.

Another thing.  Only dwarves trance.  You are now warned.
Also, humans are 1-2 sizes bigger than dwarves.  When the largest default creature is size 20, 1 size is a big difference.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 03:03:56 pm »

Kobolds are short, goblins are skinny, humans are tall, elves are also tall, giants are really tall, Titans are really really reallytall and dwarves are exactly the right size.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.