Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cant get any goblins  (Read 727 times)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cant get any goblins
« on: December 14, 2008, 04:21:56 pm »

I have started 20 straight new games today and cant get Goblins in any of them.  The last 2 world gens did weird stuff; I had to use task manager to end the program after it got stuck in world gen on year 223 - for 15 minutes - after being previously stuck on year 177 for 10 minutes.  I have allready stopped all other programs.  My last world gen toook much longer than normal also to gen but then ended up without goblins of any sort again.  I have noticed a pattern developing in my gens.  Last month, every embark site put me on top of a chasm (13 straight times) and killed off my crew immediately via monsters and the "wagon destroyed" bug where it puts it on top of a mountian (surrounded by chasm of course).

Does my PC time/date involve in any way the RNG for world gen/embarkationpoint specifics?

BTW - I did not start my embarks in the first choice given, I naturally just found one i liked and hit chasms - 13 times - in a row.  I know people like chasms and they are useful/fun, but not what I am looking for currently in my games.  What I want at the moment is a good goblin murder world.  But now i cant gen a world with goblins, no matter how many times I try.  NO, I have not messed with any parameters, it is the vanilla version of 40d straight downloaded.

anyone got any clues?

Gorjo

EDIT:  1 hour later and 9 more tries and still no goblins.  I am wondering why I should play this game at all.

EDIT 2:  30 minutes later, re-installed game, 5 more attempts.  NO GOBLINS.  I give up.  Ya'll have fun.  I guess I will just wait for the next release and see if that works or not.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:46:17 pm by Gorjo MacGrymm »
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Cant get any goblins
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 07:20:06 pm »

Are you looking for goblins in the embark screen or in the civ screen after embark?

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 09:19:36 pm »

embark screen.  before embark, looking at civs in the world.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 09:28:27 pm »

Ditto for me too. The goblins have a red line next to them.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »

Ditto for me too. The goblins have a red line next to them.

That just means they'll invade instead of trading, even though they aren't at war with you.  There are still goblins in the area.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 11:14:35 pm »

embark screen.  before embark, looking at civs in the world.

Did you completely delete the old version and install the new version into a fresh folder?  Or did you install the new version "on top" of the old one?

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 11:38:48 pm »

installed it over the old version and hit "yes to all" on overwrite, then redid all my own init file preferences.

AFAIK:  The red line means the civ was destroyed/conquered.  I have allready had a thread about that 3 months ago (or so).  If I am wrong on that i am in for a serious head slap..........Oh....crap.

EDIT:  Oh God oh God Oh bloody Armok come slay me know.........I just found the thread about the red line and........  my brain is broken........  Uhoh, i think I just heard a hammerdwarf at my door talking about a warrant for "being too stupid to play" issued by my local noble............I hate days like these.

PLEASE IGNORE THIS ENTIRE USELESS POINTLESS ILL-BEGOTEN SHIT FOR BRAINS OP WHO JUST DISCOVERED THE STINK HE WAS SMELLING WAS DUE TO A PERSONAL RECTAL-CRANIUM PROBLEM.  This has been corrected.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:56:28 pm by Gorjo MacGrymm »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 11:17:01 pm »

PLEASE IGNORE THIS ENTIRE USELESS POINTLESS ILL-BEGOTEN SHIT FOR BRAINS OP WHO JUST DISCOVERED THE STINK HE WAS SMELLING WAS DUE TO A PERSONAL RECTAL-CRANIUM PROBLEM.  This has been corrected.
Hairball.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."